Is Canelo cherry picking champions?

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
So first he fought Rocky Fielding for a SMW title, Fielding not being in the top 3 SMW in the UK, never mind the world.

And now he fight Kovalev for the LHW, a man who isnt considered the best of the division by anyone anymore.

His MW defences have been extremely legit, but is he now cherry picking soft touches and over the hill fighters?

I'd love to see him fight Callum Smith or Benavidez at SMW to see what he is really made of

stylistically, kovalev was somewhat cherry picked but who was ranked higher than him besides beterbiev?

Well, no one rides his jock for the Fielding fight, that being said it was like 2 months after walking through hell against GGG, and his first fight at 168. Most top guys take gimmes at some point. Kovalev was over the hill, but he held a legit belt, he could box and punch, and it was Canelo's first fight at 175 - the guy started his career at 147. Between the 2 fights he beat Jacobs, a big, dangerous title holder at 160.

He tested the waters above 160 and it went pretty well for him. I don't really picture him going after weak opponents at 168 and 175 from now on. We all agree on how cool it would be to see him go after Smith, Bivol, Beterbiev and so on, and there's hardly anything in his record that would make me believe he won't.

Last edited:
He tested the waters above 160 and it went pretty well for him. I don't really picture him going after weak opponents at 168 and 175 from now on. We all agree on how cool it would be to see him go after Smith, Bivol, Beterbiev and so on, and there's hardly anything in his record that would make me believe he won't.

I do hope so, his resume at MW is fantastic(regardless of all the decisioners) and if he could add some really solid wins at 168 and 175....who knows how he will go down.

Great fighter, i'm not a fan, but he seems to have coped very well with anything thrown at him

Canelo could knock out Biev and Wilder back to back and someone would still complain about him.

Canelo could knock out Biev and Wilder back to back and someone would still complain about him.

I'd like to see him fight Smith or BJS, both pose completely different puzzles at SMW

I was extremely surprised at his power against Kovalev, Kovalev seemed shit scared of commiting to any sort of punch

I'd like to see him fight Smith or BJS, both pose completely different puzzles at SMW

I was extremely surprised at his power against Kovalev, Kovalev seemed shit scared of commiting to any sort of punch
BJS is too much of a chicken shit to fight real contenders and top dogs.

They're obvious cherrypicks but that doesn't mean it isn't impressive. How many other MW's are able to win a title at LHW? RJJ cherrypicked Ruiz for the HW title but that doesn't mean it isn't an extremely impressive feat

Let's see, I think he will fight Smith next.

I dunno, the money that Canelo brings could be enough to sway him into taking the fight. I think BJS could have a style that gives Canelo real problems, and I hate BJS. But like him or loathe him, BJS is pretty mobile so it would be interesting to see how Canelo who isn't the quickest on his feet would deal with him. I'd love to see Canelo knock him out.

And the Callum Smith fight is one I'd really like to see. A big hard hitting SMW in his prime vs Canelo. I think it would be a great fight.

I would say he earned the right to cherry pick and demand catch weight, but at some point he does does fight Callum Smith and BJS

They're obvious cherrypicks but that doesn't mean it isn't impressive. How many other MW's are able to win a title at LHW? RJJ cherrypicked Ruiz for the HW title but that doesn't mean it isn't an extremely impressive feat

RJJ fought arguably the best p4p fighter in the world in winning the 168 title, and then went on to fight a decent calibre of LHW's before his hop up to HW

I think there have been a fair few MW's who have moved up to LHW and win a title over the years, i'm not saying Canelo isnt a fantastic fighter, i just hope he fights more stellar competition.

Well, I’d love it to be proven otherwise. Canelo - BJS is a win-win fight. Either we have a competitive bout or we get to see BJS’s shit kicked out of him.

I dunno, the money that Canelo brings could be enough to sway him into taking the fight. I think BJS could have a style that gives Canelo real problems, and I hate BJS. But like him or loathe him, BJS is pretty mobile so it would be interesting to see how Canelo who isn't the quickest on his feet would deal with him. I'd love to see Canelo knock him out.

And the Callum Smith fight is one I'd really like to see. A big hard hitting SMW in his prime vs Canelo. I think it would be a great fight.
Hes been offered serious money and turned it down. Dont see why its any different for Canelo.

And it probably looks like the Lara fight.

Even Canelo haters should be forgiving him for Kovalev. That has got to be the highest profile fight he could make. I don't know how his pay structure works, but it can't be bad for his bottom line to have him fight one of the only other fighters on the planet with some name recognition with casuals.

Judge if you want on the rehydration clause. Whatever though Kovalev agreed to it.

Hes been offered serious money and turned it down. Dont see why its any different for Canelo.

And it probably looks like the Lara fight.
Maybe, maybe not. Canelo is the biggest money-making fight in boxing right now. But I agree, I don't think it will be a nice fight to watch.

Fielding is really the only cherry pick I can fault him for. His resume is amazing compared to the other people that are brought up in the p4p discussion. Far superior to Crawford and Loma.

Kovalev is a great win, especially with such a brutal KO. Haters gonna hate tho.

Canelo has fought professionally at 139 lbs.
He just brutally KO'd a legit elite light heavyweight.

Back