Is Cain cardio really "legendary" ?

Cain looked slow and sloppy starting in the 3rd round. The myth of JDS died last night but the myth of Cain's cardio also took a hit

I'm with you on this. They're the two best hw's no doubt but JDS isn't a world class boxer nor does cain have 170 class stamina. Reality struck last night. Hard.

LOL nope it's not legendary. It really gets over hyped. Yeah he has great cardio for a guy his size but he gassed last night I don't care what anybody says. If he had more gas in the tank he'd have been able to finish a lot more of those TD's, also he would of been able to probably finish JDS's by just throwing more punches.

slowing down isn't stopping.

Bolded: This... god, this.

So he did what no other HW could do... but that doesn't mean he has great (legendary) cardio... got it.

Serious question, do you think it's more tiring to get punched or throw punches?

Who were talking about great? I was talking about a legendary cardio. If you use great as a synonym to legendary is fine. But I don't.

Great cardio. For sure.

Hilarious to see people take the question out of HW context and compare it to smaller guys. Talk about not getting it...

His cardio looked infinitely better against Kongo....

I'm not sure what to make of this because while he was able to push forward all night, he was surly spent somewhere around round 3.

Again I'd say watch fights like Nog/Herring 1 or Fedor/Nog 1, some insane output there without gassing.

What I think we have seen is cardio clearly start to decline as HW has increased in size. It was no different back in the day really, the likes of UFC Coleman, Kerr or Erikson could not sustain a high pace for an entire match either when they weighed around 250lbs.

No, Cain expended more energy in the first 5 minutes last night than Nog or Fedor did in their entire fight.

Hilarious to see people take the question out of HW context and compare it to smaller guys. Talk about not getting it...

This tell me anyother 240 pounder who can go 5 rounds with 33 takedown attempts over 200 strikes and still be willing to throw more.

Not at all. The dude gassed badly in by the 3rd round. Pretty bad for a guy everybody said had cardio for days and keeps the same pace throughout.

He has very good cardio, but not the "endless cardio" some people said he had.

He can't keep the same pace for 5 whole rounds, or even 3 for that matter. Like all humans, he slows down. He is not an exception like some fans suggested.

What the first round again and then watch the third right after. Tell me he's keeping even close to the same pace.

I think i heard someone mention on sherdog radio show that cain tripled the current strike output, td's and td attempts records at HW in that fight alone, so say what you want, but his pressure is incomparable to anyone else in the division.

I think a lot of people are missing what happened. Cain purposefully pushed a ridiculous pace that any heavyweight couldn't have kept He sacrificed his own energy level to make sure JDS was worse. Making the fight fast and wild gave him the best opportunity to win. It was a calculated risk that worked brilliantly. If he would have gassed under a normal a slightly high pace then you maybe question. Getting tired after what did is something completely different. IF his cardio wasn't amazing, he wouldn't have been able to employ this strategy.

Last edited:
Cain does have great cardio. He attacks relentlessly, he could not do that without his great cardio. He did get tired last night, but he's also never been out of the third round before (and only into it once).

His gameplan is to use his cardio with the expectation that his opponent will become overwhelmed and finished, which is usually the case. The fallback plan is that he will wear his opponent's cardio out faster, which was the case last night and with Kongo.

Back