Is Cain cardio really "legendary" ?

I've seen guys go 5 rounds in lower weight classes that have looked worse than Cain.

relative to heavyweight, yes it should be considered legendary. nobody besides Randy couture has pushed a pace like that for a whole fight and he was basically a lhw anyway

He gassed himself after the second round - all the hype talk from Rogan about this legendary cardio during the later rounds was laughable. JDS actually looked more energized than Cain in the fifth, like he got his second wind.

You knew this fight was going to a decision after the second because Cain lost any power to finish.

Yeah it was a bit ridiculous. I remember at some point in the 4th Anik said the "tireless Cain Velasquez" while he was laying on JDS against the cage and taking deep breaths. :icon_lol:

You have to look at LW and below to see some guys that can keep that pace.

The only LW I can think of who gasses worse than either of those two is Gleison Tibau, but that's probably because he has HW syndrome of being way too big for his frame ala Mir.

Sherdog... Where every 5 round fight is fought at the same pace.

It's pretty fucking good. Who else could do what he did?

Add the setting involved, and the opponent, dude is a machine

I've seen guys go 5 rounds in lower weight classes that have looked worse than Cain.

People keep missing the point. Have you seen anyone go 5 rds who basically tired themselves out? Most fights are exchanges and back and forth but the 1st 3 rds Jds had ZERO offense. For those 3 rds Cain was doing the only attacking.
I also think Chael has the best cardio by far. The pace he set in Anderson 1 was unbelievable, and he never became as sloppy as Cain got.

I fucking hate that word and how people on these boards throw that word around the way high school girls throw around words like "sooooooo" and "cute."

Enough with the hyperboles and superlatives. FUCK

All wrestlers, whether it's true or not tend to get tagged with a high cardio rating and the reason and that's b/c wrestling is a physically draining sport that features a need for such cardio. Cain's is better than almost everyone at heavy and probably some of the lightweights too.

Oh and TS etc. not ect. Et Cetera... etc.

-Goat

The only LW I can think of who gasses worse than either of those two is Gleison Tibau, but that's probably because he has HW syndrome of being way too big for his frame ala Mir.

Jim Miller did not look that fresh in the 3rd round against Lauzon because of the pace. Not everyone is Frankie Edgar.

He needs to pace himself. You'd need to be an absolute freak athlete to be able to hold that pace at 240 lbs for 5 rounds. He was over-aggressive and sloppy with a lot of his takedowns in the first round, and that will make you tired. But he probably knew that he was much more durable than JDS, so he went all out.

Anyone who does not train will say no.

Anyone who does train will say yes.

I do not think there is anyone in any weight class that can spam takedown after takedown and keep the pace Cain kept over the first two rounds.

He needs to pace himself. You'd need to be an absolute freak athlete to be able to hold that pace at 240 lbs for 5 rounds. He was over-aggressive and sloppy with a lot of his takedowns in the first round, and that will make you tired. But he probably knew that he was much more durable than JDS, so he went all out.

To be fair though its guys who don't need to pace themselves who I think deserve to be called as having legendary cardio, not guys like say Franklin who never really push themselves.

Guys like Nog and Fedor fought with an incredabley high output during there peak years and could often sustain it for 20 mins.

Oh, please, give me a break. 5 rounds pushing forward and dozens of takedown attempts. How many guys have done that? How many guys can do it? What were you expecting? Him to look fresh every round, after doing non stop chasing of a guy with amazing TDD? He might not have the cardio of a LW, but you won

Oh, please, give me a break. 5 rounds pushing forward and dozens of takedown attempts. How many guys have done that? How many guys can do it? What were you expecting? Him to look fresh every round, after doing non stop chasing of a guy with amazing TDD? He might not have the cardio of a LW, but you won

Erikson was much bigger than 250lb. That was what he weighed in college.

It appears Cain and his "neverending gas tank" were running on E after the 2nd round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back