Is Buster Douglas the weakest "big belt holder" of all time?

Buster Douglas is not the weakest belt holder of all time. Either is Tommy Burns.
I am beginning to question whether you even know who I'm referencing.

I am beginning to question whether you even know who I'm referencing.
Tommy Burns who beat Marvin Hart and defending his title like 10-12 times?
That Tommy Burns?

Are we going strictly off of professional records? If so I’d have to put Francisco Damiani up there. Gotta be very high up there as far as pro resumes are concerned. If we include amateur credentials though he instantly gets removed from this category. Silver medalist + even more impressive a couple wins over Teofilo Stevenson, one even by stoppage. The amateur equivalent of beating Muhammad Ali. As a professional though he’s gotta have about the worst resume of any heavyweight champion

Tommy Burns who beat Marvin Hart and defending his title like 10-12 times?
That Tommy Burns?
TOMMY BURNS WHO NEVER BEAT A NOTABLE FIGHTER AND HAD THE BELT LITERALLY HANDED TO HIM IN A FIX? THAT GUY?

why am i yelling

Are we going strictly off of professional records? If so I’d have to put Francisco Damiani up there. Gotta be very high up there as far as pro resumes are concerned. If we include amateur credentials though he instantly gets removed from this category. Silver medalist + even more impressive a couple wins over Teofilo Stevenson, one even by stoppage. The amateur equivalent of beating Muhammad Ali. As a professional though he’s gotta have about the worst resume of any heavyweight champion

His only losses were to Mercer and McCall. He was serviceable at the very least.

Better candidate than most though.

Leon Spinks anyone?

TOMMY BURNS WHO NEVER BEAT A NOTABLE FIGHTER AND HAD THE BELT LITERALLY HANDED TO HIM IN A FIX? THAT GUY?
I know nothing of that but if we are going that route @Seano has some beliefs on Jack Johnson and other fighters of that time.
But Burns beat some people that would be considered notable in 1908. Not now.
Like Philly Jack O Brien and Bill Squires.
Bill Squires was heavily touted before Burns KOd him in the first round.

I know nothing of that but if we are going that route @Seano has some beliefs on Jack Johnson and other fighters of that time.
But Burns beat some people that would be considered notable in 1908. Not now.
Like Philly Jack O Brien and Bill Squires.
Bill Squires was heavily touted before Burns KOd him in the first round.
Burns was also very undersized so in all seriousness i do give him credit for that.

But yeah there were some.....questionable.......things going on at that time, mostly to keep Johnson and Langford away from that title. They were scared to death of a black holding gold.

I didn't list him because of amateur status and him beating Teofilo Stevenson at the 1982 at the World Amateur Boxing Champs.
He beat Tyrell Biggs in the pros after losing to him in the ammies twice
He also was beating Mercer before he got KOd.
Not the worse I dont think.

Burns was also very undersized so in all seriousness i do give him credit for that.

But yeah there were some.....questionable.......things going on at that time, mostly to keep Johnson and Langford away from that title. They were scared to death of a black holding gold.
He was married to a black woman for a brief time and was open to fighting all races.
He was very vocal about that. He was also tiny, so he gets some cred.

He was married to a black woman for a brief time and was open to fighting all races.
He was very vocal about that. He was also tiny, so he gets some cred.
Now i feel bad for shitting on him haha.

An argument could be made for Roy Jones... only one win at HW against one of the worst champs to ever hold the belt.

i couldn't even remember all the heavyweights since the alphabet boys took over, surely douglas is about as good as many of them. He had a good night and not much more, same could be said of many of the heavyweights post-ali. Traditionally, Primo Carnera and then Leon Spinks held the designation of worst heavyweight title holders, but that was when there weren't 5 different champions claiming the world was theirs.

Buster obviously was big, skilled, knew his way around the ring, the Tyson fight was no accident. He fought brilliantly that night, the angles, the distance, the jab and the consistency of his performance that night speaks for itself. The rest of his career? Just another talented big guy with no desire.

Everyones gonna say Charles Martin.
But ill pick Francois Botha if we are counting him, since he won against Schulz but then it was ruled a NC.
So if he counts its him by far.
You can also add in guys like Siarhei Liakhovich in there as well
I'm keeping it in the modern era and stuff Ive seen 1st hand .
I have to go with Charles Martin. Especially considering how he "won" the vacant belt in the 1st place. And just how thin the division is now vs other times.

Douglas was as talented as any active HW, so definitely not him.

Back