is bullying really that bad or are kids just huge pansies now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids are fucking huge pansies now.

The difference is in dealing with real people that pose a real threat to you every day, vs people talking shit about each other on the internet. I know younger people want to pretend that having shit talked about you on Facebook is so damaging, but really they have no fucking clue.

bullying-really-bad-kids-just-huge-pansies-now-2351781

I can't remember the name, but I imagine there aren't too many posters on here that befriended Caballero, started a site, and then befriended Mayweather.

And how do you know everything is being labeled as bullying? Care to show me your sources on that? Or is that just some general feeling you get, much like every other generation gets about the generations after it? That's what I figured.

And are you kidding me with that? Don't go there? So just give up on whatever social networking site you're using (already a big thing to have to do in today's age where almost everything revolves around it) and ignore the things people are saying?

What about people that will hack you now and spread your personal information? Or the kids that will harass you via e-mail, phone, FB, Twitter, Instagram, forums, Tumblr - etc, etc, etc. And then of course the people that jump in.

What about if the bully posts about it on 4chan and they decide this kid is a pussy that needs to be taught a lesson?

See, there are way too many variables in bullying now. It can range from small incidents to huge ordeals seemingly at random. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to curb it as best as possible. If that means the kids get a participation trophy, so fucking what? It's not like they consider themselves the best because they got a fucking trophy for showing up. They aren't stupid, they know what it is when everyone gets one. It's so no one can be attacked for it, not so the kids that deserve first place ribbons can't have them.

I just wonder if you have any psychological training or knowledge at all. Like even the most basic understanding. Because if you did, this concept wouldn't be hard to grasp.

well, perhaps you missed the part where i said the extreme cases of bullying. of course they are not right. and sources on bullying? turn on your news. look on facebook. its everywhere.

but someone calling you a name on facebook, i am sorry, but get over it. if it goes to 4chan or death threats, thats obviously a different matter. but it seems most of these are just kids being over dramatic. and people like you that want to kiss their ass all the time instead of telling them to suck it up contribute to the problem. its horrible that some of these kids kill themselves. i never said it wasnt. and those little incidents you speak of are the cases where kids need to get over it.

i get the sense you are the type that hates when scores are kept because everyone should be a "winner." teach them that not everyone wins and maybe they will go a thicker skin and compete instead of cashing out when times get tough

I can't remember the name, but I imagine there aren't too many posters on here that befriended Caballero, started a site, and then befriended Mayweather.

And how do you know everything is being labeled as bullying? Care to show me your sources on that? Or is that just some general feeling you get, much like every other generation gets about the generations after it? That's what I figured.

And are you kidding me with that? Don't go there? So just give up on whatever social networking site you're using (already a big thing to have to do in today's age where almost everything revolves around it) and ignore the things people are saying?

What about people that will hack you now and spread your personal information? Or the kids that will harass you via e-mail, phone, FB, Twitter, Instagram, forums, Tumblr - etc, etc, etc. And then of course the people that jump in.

What about if the bully posts about it on 4chan and they decide this kid is a pussy that needs to be taught a lesson?

See, there are way too many variables in bullying now. It can range from small incidents to huge ordeals seemingly at random. There is absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to curb it as best as possible. If that means the kids get a participation trophy, so fucking what? It's not like they consider themselves the best because they got a fucking trophy for showing up. They aren't stupid, they know what it is when everyone gets one. It's so no one can be attacked for it, not so the kids that deserve first place ribbons can't have them.

I just wonder if you have any psychological training or knowledge at all. Like even the most basic understanding. Because if you did, this concept wouldn't be hard to grasp.

You just sound like a big fucking whiner man. Im not even out of touch, im 23 years old and I have family in high school right now.

Sure there are extreme cases where videos go viral but that shit is not as common as you are trying to make it.

I dont know how you are going to try and spin that getting hateful tweets from random strangers is harder than getting beat down on a daily basis or having the whole school laugh at you and hate you.

And if you are getting bullied on social networks then that means you are most likely getting bullied at school too since those same people on your fb are the ones from your school. Im sorry I just dont buy that the internet makes bullying worse. I think its a cheap scapegoat.

And no one said kids deserved to be bullied or its okay for them to be bullied. What I am specifically saying is I don't think its any worse today then it was before. What is worse is parenting. But what can you expect when divorce rates are high and teen pregnancies are common. There is no real family structure anymore.

well, perhaps you missed the part where i said the extreme cases of bullying. of course they are not right. and sources on bullying? turn on your news. look on facebook. its everywhere.

but someone calling you a name on facebook, i am sorry, but get over it. if it goes to 4chan or death threats, thats obviously a different matter. but it seems most of these are just kids being over dramatic. and people like you that want to kiss their ass all the time instead of telling them to suck it up contribute to the problem. its horrible that some of these kids kill themselves. i never said it wasnt. and those little incidents you speak of are the cases where kids need to get over it.

i get the sense you are the type that hates when scores are kept because everyone should be a "winner." teach them that not everyone wins and maybe they will go a thicker skin and compete instead of cashing out when times get tough

The news? Oh, because the news isn't mostly sensationalized bullshit that pushes whatever issues are "hot" right now? Bullying is becoming more public with high profile deaths, of course stories about it are becoming more common. That's common sense.

Using Facebook is just helping make my case. It wouldn't have been on Facebook 20 years ago. Only the kids at your school would have known.

Who do you know that is freaking out over someone calling them a name on Facebook? What stories are you hearing about that are over something small like that? Because the stories I hear are about incredibly public and repeated taunting and harassment.

How can you say it is just kids being over dramatic? You're not those kids. You are in no position to say that. I.E. you're just talking out of your ass.

I don't want to kiss kid's asses all the time. Nothing in my post said that. This is about whether or not bullying is worse now. It is. Of course I think they should handle it better, I wish they could. But now they can't just go and fight the bully, because the bully is anonymous and persistent, and potentially physical as well. You realize it's not just Facebook namecalling right? Bullying these days hasn't just completely quit being physical. Kids are getting beaten up and shoved around just like they were back then. PLUS, it gets spread on social media.

That's my entire point, bullying is worse now because the worst things that happened to kids back then still happen now but are amplified. Can you not understand that? You have no basis to say it's just kids being over dramatic, because you're blaming the victim and that's just fucked up.

Do you tell a woman that gets raped she shouldn't have worn a short dress? Who the fuck blames victims?

And no, I love a good competition. Do you forget we're on an MMA forum? And they aren't teaching them that everyone wins. They don't all get a 1st place trophy, some kids get participation trophies. That isn't winning shit. It's not like they don't see that EVERYONE got one. They know it doesn't make them special. They know they lost. It's just a nice gesture.

Kids these days are growing up in terrible financial times, a rapidly global world with all their actions much more public, fear of war and nuclear war, the idea that you HAVE to go to college to not be a failure since everyone has a bachelor's these days, very public and tense, highly polarized political and social reform climates, and you want to say they don't have to deal with a lot of shit? Kids growing up now deserve a bit of a safety net, because the world fucking sucks right now and it's only looking to get worse. They will be tough because they will have to be tough, no reason to heap on the shittiness just to fulfill some fucked up notion of "in my day" toughness that is almost certainly pure bullshit to begin with.

You just sound like a big fucking whiner man. Im not even out of touch, im 23 years old and I have family in high school right now.

Sure there are extreme cases where videos go viral but that shit is not as common as you are trying to make it.

I dont know how you are going to try and spin that getting hateful tweets from random strangers is harder than getting beat down on a daily basis or having the whole school laugh at you and hate you.

And if you are getting bullied on social networks then that means you are most likely getting bullied at school too since those same people on your fb are the ones from your school. Im sorry I just dont buy that the internet makes bullying worse. I think its a cheap scapegoat.

And no one said kids deserved to be bullied or its okay for them to be bullied. What I am specifically saying is I don't think its any worse today then it was before. What is worse is parenting. But what can you expect when divorce rates are high and teen pregnancies are common. There is no real family structure anymore.

I didn't try to spin anything of the sort. I never said that beatdowns don't occur now. Do you think bullies suddenly quit getting physical? Like I've said multiple times now, the worst things that happened back then happen now but on a bigger scale.

And you just added to my argument. Yes, if you're getting bullied on Facebook then you're likely getting bullied at school too. See how that helps my argument? If not, I'll explain it to you. Remember what I said above about shit from the past being on a bigger scale now? Ah yes, exactly. Like you said, kids are still being bullied at school. Then, instead of getting a break at home, they are also being bullied online. And it isn't just on Facebook, and it isn't always just bullies from your school. That same bullying from the past happens and it happens at school and online. You don't catch a break from it.

And yes, divorce rates are higher now. And a good thing too, because people that are unhappy in a marriage shouldn't feel obligated to stay in it because of societal and family pressures. I see nothing wrong with that.

sum, just relax. i dont think your getting bullied in school is ok. its wrong. if you would like, i can send an mma fighter to you to beat up someone being mean to you. or a boxer. you want caballer? king mo? roy nelson? derek brunson? i can hook you up

That's pretty funny that you would rather talk down and insult someone than respond to their points. You do realize you made this thread, so ostensibly you would like to discuss it?

That's pretty funny that you would rather talk down and insult someone than respond to their points. You do realize you made this thread, so ostensibly you would like to discuss it?

i already responded to your points. its clear we disagree. you feel that kids should be coddled and they should never face adversity. i feel that although the worst cases of bullying should be addressed and dealt with, for the most part i feel they need to toughen up.

you argue with yourself, so there is no need for me to jump in. you said that nobody is saying there is more bullying going on, and then when i say the news always touches on it, you say they always jump on the hot topic. so i was just gonna let you have it out with yourself

i already responded to your points. its clear we disagree. you feel that kids should be coddled and they should never face adversity. i feel that although the worst cases of bullying should be addressed and dealt with, for the most part i feel they need to toughen up.

you argue with yourself, so there is no need for me to jump in. you said that nobody is saying there is more bullying going on, and then when i say the news always touches on it, you say they always jump on the hot topic. so i was just gonna let you have it out with yourself

It's always fun to take someone's argument and narrow it down to some bullshit insulting remark. I'm glad you enjoyed that.

Tell me how I contradicted myself there?

Someone can say that nobody is saying more bullying is going on but that the news is touching on it because it is a hot topic.

Why? Because it is a hot topic because of some isolated incidents that resulted in kids killing themselves. They aren't saying the bullying is more than in the past, but because of kids killing themselves of course they are going to run more STORIES about it.

And I just realized it doesn't even matter, because I read through my posts and I never once said that nobody is saying there is more bullying going on.

sum, are you either a teen yourself or the parent of a child who is being bullied? serious question. you seem to take this extremely personal. you seem very angry that i have the opinion i do on this.

I'm 22 and I've never had to deal with bullying. I've seen what it does to kids though, and I am on track to be a clinical psychologist so it is an area I am passionate about.

The children are the future, so we should protect them. I fail to see how stopping bullying makes kids more likely to fail in the future. I would think boosting their confidence would inspire them to perform better, but maybe you know better.

I'm 22 and I've never had to deal with bullying. I've seen what it does to kids though, and I am on track to be a clinical psychologist so it is an area I am passionate about.

The children are the future, so we should protect them. I fail to see how stopping bullying makes kids more likely to fail in the future. I would think boosting their confidence would inspire them to perform better, but maybe you know better.

well there is where we have our problem i guess. you want to "protect" them. i think when you do this, you do them a disservice by not allowing them to toughen up. because guess what? life is tough. life can eat you up if you arent tough. so when you protect them, you make them weak. but then again, if we have tougher kids, we have less potential clients for you who would prefer to listen to their "needs." and nice touch with every post how you throw the condescending remark in there to try to make yourself feel superior.

You can't protect kids. Kids are kids, and bullying will never stop. Trying to bubble wrap everything isn't helping them.

So you're saying you'd rather kids be beat up and harassed than protected over some outdated notion that bullying "toughens" kids up? It doesn't. If it were toughening kids up, they wouldn't be killing themselves or cutting themselves.

And insulting my potential career while showing a shocking lack of awareness of mental health issues is much worse than whatever in my post you considered condescending.

So you're saying you'd rather kids be beat up and harassed than protected over some outdated notion that bullying "toughens" kids up? It doesn't. If it were toughening kids up, they wouldn't be killing themselves or cutting themselves.

You can talk to them about it; tell them it isn't good, but you can't protect them from it. There is a big difference. You're not going to save every kid, no matter your intentions.

You have to get kids to believe in themselves, not try and control everything around them.

You can talk to them about it; tell them it isn't good, but you can't protect them from it. There is a big difference. You're not going to save every kid, no matter your intentions.

You have to get kids to believe in themselves, not try and control everything around them.

These things aren't mutually exclusive. Making a conscious effort to get rid of bullying doesn't stop anyone from telling kids to believe in themselves and defend themselves. That's a false dichotomy and an annoyingly pervasive one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back