Is boxing industry more mature than MMA industry?

If anyone genuinely believes the fans are better, go look at the Boxingscene comments. Everything that MMA fans are today, boxing fans were 20 years ago. And they've had a lot more practice.

boxing scene is full of mma and wwe fans

i know it, cuz they banned me 50 times

The first professional boxing organization began in the late 1800's, while the first professional MMA organization began in the late 1900's. So yeah, you do the math.
On the other hand, the first MMA organisation had more experience borrowed from boxing industry when it started.

Far better fans as well. You don't get cunts obsessing over whether a fighter is truely Russian or why he doesn't carry the Russian flag or why he's hanging out with Kadyrov and so on. All that could be said about Chechen LHW Champ Artur Beterbiev but boxing fans aren't a bunch of right winged snow flakes. It's a really shitty look for MMA, keeps reminding me of Arum's early comments of MMA being full of skinheads with tattoos, doesn't help that MMA's biggest ever star is a xenophobic Irish rat.

Every industry is ahead

The fact that MMA fans are so upset over what Stephen A Smith said shows how sensitive and in the dark MMA still is compared to the big leagues

Almost every other major league sports has the same type of reporting when someone performs like that.

Okay, I'm sorry but that's stupid as fuck and not an adequate comparison at ALL, aside from the fact that it's not true.

I've heard MANY sports casters say things like "an absolute awful performance by (such and such)" but i've never heard one say that they've been "disgusted" by one players performance, you hear them say things about maybe what team they signed to, like when durant signed with GS, but even that wasn't mocking his performance. So that's where it's not true. In my opinion it his highly disrespectful to say a performance from a pro athlete is disgusting.

now onto why it's not a an adequate comparison, This isn't a leagued team sport with 12+ people who play with a ball. this is a not a sport with a time limit. there's another person in a cage trying to separate you from your consciousness. was masvidal vs askren disgusting.

I prefer to watch MMA, but Boxing fans are more refined usually. Besides all the anti-MMA talk, there are not as many neckbeard, pro wrestling crossover types that MMA has.

MMA is like beer with the boys, and Boxing is like drinking wine.

Okay, I'm sorry but that's stupid as fuck and not an adequate comparison at ALL, aside from the fact that it's not true.

I've heard MANY sports casters say things like "an absolute awful performance by (such and such)" but i've never heard one say that they've been "disgusted" by one players performance, you hear them say things about maybe what team they signed to, like when durant signed with GS, but even that wasn't mocking his performance. So that's where it's not true. In my opinion it his highly disrespectful to say a performance from a pro athlete is disgusting.

now onto why it's not a an adequate comparison, This isn't a leagued team sport with 12+ people who play with a ball. this is a not a sport with a time limit. there's another person in a cage trying to separate you from your consciousness. was masvidal vs askren disgusting.

Disgusting, bad performance, he doesnt have it anymore, hes washed up, all the same thing.

I've heard it all, look how Stephen talks about Lebron after one bad game.

Yes, the sport is older and so is the fan base. But the boxing community within the MMA community is immature.

Boxing has existed alongside the 19th and 20th centuries. It has seen and survived it all.
Gloved prizefighting has been there through prohibition, both world wars, Vietnam and the cold war.
It had a direct influence and/or correlation to civil rights and helped to shape present day culture.

Mma is awesome too, but to most fans it's not even 30 years old (vale tudo and style vs style predates the UFC of course) to 90% of mma fans. For them, it started in 1993 and has largely been under one roof.

There's really no comparison in terms of which industry is more mature, regardless of which sport you consider 'the better of the two'

Boxing has an older fan base, no doubt about that imo.

In general, I would say boxing fans are more knowledgeable about boxing than MMA fans are about MMA. I don’t proclaim to be an expert on all aspects of MMA, but if I use this forum as a barometer compared to a boxing forum I post on, there are more people here who are very easily identifiable as people who have not only never been in a legit fight gym, but have in all likelihood never played any sport competitively.

Hindsight bias is a great thing, but it wasn’t too long ago that the MMA community were convinced that Rousey was a ‘once ever’ athlete and that McGregor would KO Floyd Mayweather in the ring. The younger fan base are a bit less cynical than the older boxing fans I feel, and when you’ve got the massive UFC hype/marketing machine underpinning practically everything the sport does, it’s easy to see why every big thing that happens is greeted with a lot of hyperbole. It’s good in some ways because it allows the UFC to build a star at a pace that you simply couldn’t in boxing, but those same stars fall so quickly.

Boxing has an older fan base, no doubt about that imo.

In general, I would say boxing fans are more knowledgeable about boxing than MMA fans are about MMA. I don’t proclaim to be an expert on all aspects of MMA, but if I use this forum as a barometer compared to a boxing forum I post on, there are more people here who are very easily identifiable as people who have not only never been in a legit fight gym, but have in all likelihood never played any sport competitively.

Hindsight bias is a great thing, but it wasn’t too long ago that the MMA community were convinced that Rousey was a ‘once ever’ athlete and that McGregor would KO Floyd Mayweather in the ring. The younger fan base are a bit less cynical than the older boxing fans I feel, and when you’ve got the massive UFC hype/marketing machine underpinning practically everything the sport does, it’s easy to see why every big thing that happens is greeted with a lot of hyperbole. It’s good in some ways because it allows the UFC to build a star at a pace that you simply couldn’t in boxing, but those same stars fall so quickly.
Spot on.

It's like comparing a well adjusted yet jaded 40 year old man to an enthusiastic, excited but gullible 12 year old, and I mean that with sincere respect

Back