Is boxing a lot like Golf?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spyu, Oct 4, 2010.

1. spyu

spyu White Belt

In the sense that form is so critical. Like in golf a beginner may try to muscle the club to try and it hit the ball as far as they can. What ends up happening is:
    1. They miss the ball. 2. It doesn't go very far. and 3. Their shot is not accurate.

But once they learn proper form and know when and where to apply the force their shots are accurate and the ball travels further though it doesn't necessarily feel like they're hitting it harder.

Is this the same feel for technical boxing? In the beginning you try to muscle your punches and though they may be harder punches it comes at the cost of inaccurate punches, slower punches, and being more off balance and susceptible to counters.

The two just seemed really similar to me as I was learning them. Any experienced boxers w/ some level of golf experience that can attest to this or am I totally off?

2. lucid

lucid FTW-champ!

Honestly, its true. i used to push my punches and really you need to let it flow. Dont just swing with your hands, but your whole body and letting it just snap out there. It's also as important to hit it flush and clean, as it is just to hit it fast and hard.

actually a good analogy... once you do this for a bit more your honestly going to be a very very scary puncher. There are guys who have punched for years and cant get past pushing their punches!

I actually posted a few videos on how to punch better and faster on my blog because of how many people dont understand this concept.

3. spyu

spyu White Belt

Oh good to see I'm on the right track. Yeah that was the hardest thing in golf was to just let the swing happen and not worry about how far I'm trying to hit it. And I was beginning to feel that same thing for my punches. It's like starting over.

What do you train? Strictly boxing? Or are you a coach.

4. lucid

lucid FTW-champ!

Im currently training in Sanda/san shou... its a lot like shoot-box or MMA minus the ground game. I've done boxing, MT, and TKD before.

I did train a lot when i was younger and did learn to box in the very early days by a great former national camp.

Oddly, how i learned to really snap my punches wasnt from one of my great boxing coaches that i had the chance to meet and work with. It was actually from my friends old hapkido master who taught me how to snap punches. i later converted it to boxing style punches with great success.

it's the old Ball and chain vs baseball bat theory.

I'd like to coach one day. Martial arts and training really does change you as a person for the better. But at 31 i'm spending my last few competitive years fighting first. hopefully ill earn the right to be a coach once im done.

5. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

So true. I started training in Boxing last year from an Olympic alternate and he pretty much re-built my entire punching technique.

There's so much technique involved that is easy to miss by an untrained eye.

6. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

It is, and that's why I almost always immediately stop giving a shit about someone's opinions about boxing, when they start spewing this, "it's the sport of punching" bullshit, because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

7. lucid

lucid FTW-champ!

i totall agree with that. Most new guys do what people think.

1. They always think they hit harder then they really do.

2. they think they can take more damage then they really can.

3. they think they are all capable of throwing haymaker ko punches and catch a guy who's been training for years.

4. offence wins a few fights but defence wins championships.

number 4 i find is the thing untrained guys never really fully understand of appreciate. Really, honestly... striking is like the game of tag. its about who hits the other guy and not get hit back usually wins.

edit: 5- cardio is king in striking. Nothing like seeing a tap out shirt wearing "tough" guy come in and blowing his load in the first 30 seconds and getting "tomatoe canned" and quitting on his first day sparring.

8. FrankeTheTanke

FrankeTheTanke White Belt

Beautiful analogy my friend.

9. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Um , it is the "sport of punching". You don't kick in it, you don't wrestle in it, you punch in it.

10. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Good list.

11. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

You mean all you have to do is punch? That's easy...

:rolleyes:

12. ambertch

ambertch Purple Belt

It's the sport of punching the way basketball is the sport of shooting hoops

As you probably know, basketball is so much more than shooting the ball into the hoop.

13. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

As a guy who took golf lessons for 3 years as a kid, I can say that there are many similarities.

My teacher actually always used to use throwing a punch as an analogy for your swing- it's all about the transfer of weight, hip rotation, foot pivot, and follow through.

Aside from that, it's all about getting down the basics. In golf & boxing, you keep your elbows in, you have knees slightly bent & slightly more than shoulder width apart. Your spine stays straight and erect, and i'd even go so far as to say that tucking your chin is similar to golf head positioning.

Also, you hit the nail on the head- if you try to muscle it, whether in boxing or golf, you'll actually be stiff, expend way too much energy, won't have as much power or precision, will be off balance, etc.

Having good hips & a strong, stable core is pivotal in both. All in all, they have many similarities.

14. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

who ever said punching was easy?

15. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

i suck at both so analogy is true

16. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

I'd say punching is alot like swinging a club in that you want to be relaxed and smooth, and that will ultimately give you more speed and power.

Also the mental aspect is huge in both sports.

One more thing: As a golfer you want to think shot to shot, and have a short memory. The opposite is true for boxing.

17. LearningToLive

LearningToLive Orange Belt

Boxing is much more than just punching. The movement and
    footwork, faints, head-movement. Lyoto Machida gave hell to his opponents with his footwork, despise his footwork is not nearly as good as Muhammad Ali's, Holme's, Leonard's, Sweet Pea's.

18. sh1tehawke

sh1tehawke Purple Belt

boxing is a bit like playing a musical instrument as well i reckon, the mental side of it anyway. when playing guitar or whatever if you overthink what your supposed to be doing, you hesitate, you fingers forget what they should be doing, you mess up and look stupid.

when sparring i find if i overthink what i'm doing the same happens, i don't react quickly enough, i hesitate when countering, mess up, get hit in the face and look stupid.

when boxing or playing an instrument i have to get my self in this weird zen like state were i'm half thinking about what i'm doing and half thinking of something else and i can just react naturally.

19. Nosweat

Nosweat Blue Belt

I remember thinking of the golf analogy in my first boxing lesson and thinking 'I'm shit at golf, what chance have I got of pulling it off while someone's trying to hit me?'

20. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

There's probably a couple better analogies out there.