Is boxing a good judo complement ?

Chungungo

Getting some snow
@Green
Reaction score
Hello, I train judo 3 x week but sometimes I only can make it happen once because of distance . The thing is that a good boxing gym with a good coach and a polite mature vibe (this is hard to find in my country) opened a few months ago very close to my house and classes are the non judo days but I like Muay Thai better than boxing while I am willing to pass that if boxing is a good complement for judo.

The other option is to go back to weight the non judo days in a gym close to my house but I would put time into boxing if would really complement well with judo.

That´s all, thank you in advance. <Moves>

yeah kick boxing would be better due to naturally having a more up right stance where as boxing has more of a bentover posture for quicker movement and lower center of gravity to me i think its best to combind a grappling striking style that doesnt change stance much so u dont telegraph what you do and can go between them both

Boxing works well, being dedicated to the hands means that you'll still progress at a good rate even if it's not your main sport. With MT there is alot more to cover so you run the danger of being bad at alot.

Boxing works fine with Judos upright stance and should have a heavy emphasis on condition which will cross over.

Also if you want to swap over to MT at a later date good hands will serve you well.

Hello, I train judo 3 x week but sometimes I only can make it happen once because of distance . The thing is that a good boxing gym with a good coach and a polite mature vibe (this is hard to find in my country) opened a few months ago very close to my house and classes are the non judo days but I like Muay Thai better than boxing while I am willing to pass that if boxing is a good complement for judo.

The other option is to go back to weight the non judo days in a gym close to my house but I would put time into boxing if would really complement well with judo.

That´s all, thank you in advance. <Moves>

What is your purpose for training? If the plan is to fill rooms with uppercuts then boxing is a great choice.

What is your purpose for training? If the plan is to fill rooms with uppercuts then boxing is a great choice.
Is complement to be more complete with something that is close to home and well never descart to fight MMA at amateur level, I have a year of Muay Thai on my back but guess boxing alone is something worth it to get better.
Here MMA is not as good as in the US or Brazil so I can still compete at my 32.

Boxing works well, being dedicated to the hands means that you'll still progress at a good rate even if it's not your main sport. With MT there is alot more to cover so you run the danger of being bad at alot.

Boxing works fine with Judos upright stance and should have a heavy emphasis on condition which will cross over.

Also if you want to swap over to MT at a later date good hands will serve you well.
Thank you, that is more or less what I was expecting to read.

yeah kick boxing would be better due to naturally having a more up right stance where as boxing has more of a bentover posture for quicker movement and lower center of gravity to me i think its best to combind a grappling striking style that doesnt change stance much so u dont telegraph what you do and can go between them both
Totally but here´s not like in the US or Canadá and having a good place of anything is hard to find. now I have it close to home.
Judo is quite good here but is kind of far, sometimes I make it only once per week.

If you find a "real" MT gym, you might enjoy the clinching part, and you will obviously have an advantage. Just something you may want to consider.

If you find a "real" MT gym, you might enjoy the clinching part, and you will obviously have an advantage. Just something you may want to consider.
I know that, love the clinch because I had a great Muay Thai coach from Brazil who also was a judo black belt and is my only striking base altogether with Kick Boxing but now my only good option is boxing so is either that or the days I don´t go to Judo I´ll start a powerlifting program.

If it gives you upper body strength/endurance, then it is great. Go to box.

Edit: didn't read fully. Didn't know you wanted to go into mma lol. But sure, it is a nice combo. But it is better to try and get some bjj/no-gi grappling in there too, because Judo has limited newaza. Learn how to jab etc and punch your way into the clinch. Good plan.

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying that I have no personal experience boxing myself. However, judo + boxing is a pretty old combination. For what it's worth, most of the big judoka that went into MMA (that I can recall) seemed to use boxing as the foundation of their striking. For instance, you have Hidehiko Yoshida, Michihiro Omigawa, and yes, Ronda Rousey. In terms of others with judo backgrounds, Gegard Mousasi favours boxing as well. While I'm sure there are many counter examples, I think those are sufficient to show the combo does work. Based on your situation, I think giving boxing a try would be a great idea. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to power lifting.

Here's Omigawa from when he beat Takaya (watching this live was awesome, this version on youtube much less so):

Totally but here´s not like in the US or Canadá and having a good place of anything is hard to find. now I have it close to home.
Judo is quite good here but is kind of far, sometimes I make it only once per week.
i know how you feel when i first started bjj there wasnt even a black belt in my state blue belts were like blacks back then usually places at least have boxing somewhere though

I will preface this by saying that I have no personal experience boxing myself. However, judo + boxing is a pretty old combination. For what it's worth, most of the big judoka that went into MMA (that I can recall) seemed to use boxing as the foundation of their striking. For instance, you have Hidehiko Yoshida, Michihiro Omigawa, and yes, Ronda Rousey. In terms of others with judo backgrounds, Gegard Mousasi favours boxing as well. While I'm sure there are many counter examples, I think those are sufficient to show the combo does work. Based on your situation, I think giving boxing a try would be a great idea. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to power lifting.

Here's Omigawa from when he beat Takaya (watching this live was awesome, this version on youtube much less so):

Awesome you saw it live, I miss those days.
I like more the Muay Thai + Judo combo but there´s no art of 8 limbs here so I guess I´ll go with this old combination of disciplines.
If it gives you upper body strength/endurance, then it is great. Go to box.

Edit: didn't read fully. Didn't know you wanted to go into mma lol. But sure, it is a nice combo. But it is better to try and get some bjj/no-gi grappling in there too, because Judo has limited newaza. Learn how to jab etc and punch your way into the clinch. Good plan.
Your answer is perfect and I am not 100% sure I´ll do MMA, here nothing is as professional as in the US but I train a little bit more than many recreational people so trying to compete for fun one day is not out but the main focus is to use my time. Sorry english is not my native language and I talk with some confusion sometimes.

PD: I did BJJ for two years and in my dojo there are great grapplers so I am not so bad in the ground.

i know how you feel when i first started bjj there wasnt even a black belt in my state blue belts were like blacks back then usually places at least have boxing somewhere though
Yeah I don´t waste my time like in my 20"s. Judo is the art I love the most but if I want to complement I take the options I have. A decade ago I overthought many times waiting for the perfect academy or stuff like that.

Yeah I don´t waste my time like in my 20"s. Judo is the art I love the most but if I want to complement I take the options I have. A decade ago I overthought many times waiting for the perfect academy or stuff like that.
some beginners who havnt even trained will be like ohh i wont go here cause it isnt legit enough for me.. any trianings better than none as long as you can learn some fundamentals i trained with 4 stripe white belt my first 7 months and i learnt my fundamentals basically

some beginners who havnt even trained will be like ohh i wont go here cause it isnt legit enough for me.. any trianings better than none as long as you can learn some fundamentals i trained with 4 stripe white belt my first 7 months and i learnt my fundamentals basically
Totally , at the end a good base doesn´t always come from the teacher you want but your case was mine in BJJ.

Boxing's good because it'll allow you to close the distance unlike something like karate which requires distance for kicks to be set up. A problem a number of judokas seem to have, especially if you watch some of the old Pride fights, is that they don't have the skill to avoid punches and get hit while trying to get to the clinch so if you can learn techniques like slipping then that could be very useful.

Boxing's good because it'll allow you to close the distance unlike something like karate which requires distance for kicks to be set up. A problem a number of judokas seem to have, especially if you watch some of the old Pride fights, is that they don't have the skill to avoid punches and get hit while trying to get to the clinch so if you can learn techniques like slipping then that could be very useful.
Slipping is when you pass down a right straight ??
Yeah I have seen it, I love judo but is even worse when I hear some judocas (and many TMA practicioners) talking they can redirect a hard boxer punch from the traditional stance.
I am almost sold for boxing, thank´s-

Slipping is when you pass down a right straight ??
Yeah I have seen it, I love judo but is even worse when I hear some judocas (and many TMA practicioners) talking they can redirect a hard boxer punch from the traditional stance.
I am almost sold for boxing, thank´s-
It seems like there's a bit of variation in what people regard as slipping and I'm not a striker so I can't be sure, but I understand slipping as when you bring your shoulder to the side of the opposite knee which allows you to move you're head away from straight punches. You can then counter-strike when your opponent's off-balance of attempt and go in for a clinch then.

There are a lot of techniques from traditional martial arts you can use in MMA, even wing chun found its way in with the oblique kick. Just make sure you practice under MMA rules, without a gi it can be a bit more challenging.

I honestly believe boxing is one of the greatest martial arts ever and blends well with any other art. After a few years of quality boxing instruction i have come to this realiazation.

The simplistic approach in training to what is actually a complex art will not only turn you into an effective puncher, but will influence the way you look at training in the other arts, including grappling.

Back