Is BJ Penn the only top BJJ guy with awesome striking

How many wrestlers who did well in college wrestling have awesome striking?

Jones is the closest, but that's about it, and he's more known for his grappling.

Is this serious? There is a major difference between NCAA and JUCO...Obviously Jon is a great wrestler but I wouldn't consider that to be doing great. There are a lot more credentialed fighters just in the ufc with better striking an example would be Johnny Hendricks.

lol@Diaz bros having awesome striking

Penn aprroves

BJ-Penn-damage-01.jpg

you mean *used* to have

im afraid bj's glory days are several yrs removed. it is always sad when one of my favorite fighters just cant compete anymore at the highest level. i sure hope he has one more good one left in him before moving on in life

BJ was a very good striker in MMA as are the Diaz brothers. I can't understand people denying this.

Roger Gracie, his striking against King Mo was legendary :)

When is the last time bj DIDN'T get outstruck??

Well, he was lighting Diaz up for periods of their fight. It should be noted he is past his prime and fighting at a higher weight class. In his prime, he had very close to the best boxing fundamentals in the sport. If you want to look at him being outstruck by Diaz after gassing and playing right into Diaz's game (and Diaz is one of the best strikers at WW) as evidence that he is a bad striker for MMA, go right ahead.

Well, he was lighting Diaz up for periods of their fight. It should be noted he is past his prime and fighting at a higher weight class. In his prime, he had very close to the best boxing fundamentals in the sport. If you want to look at him being outstruck by Diaz after gassing and playing right into Diaz's game (and Diaz is one of the best strikers at WW) as evidence that he is a bad striker for MMA, go right ahead.

I would never look at that fight and say BJ won any point of the stand up but he certainly fared better then about 90% of the others the diaz bros have fought. You seem like you know your shit though and BJ should be regarded as having excellent technique. As many have stated BJ at 155 is a completely different monster.I waited for Penn/Nick for a long time and always thought at 155 BJ would win, and at 170 Nick would win.

BJ only has awesome striking against individuals with poor striking.

I would never look at that fight and say BJ won any point of the stand up but he certainly fared better then about 90% of the others the diaz bros have fought. You seem like you know your shit though and BJ should be regarded as having excellent technique. As many have stated BJ at 155 is a completely different monster.

BJ was winning the stand up for most of the first round and I would have probably given him round 1. Now, Diaz is a bit of a slow starter (it goes with his style) and he obviously dominated round 2 and took 3 clearly but I think the whole fact that BJ even survived in that fight is a testament to some of his skills. Normally when Nick Diaz has anyone with their back to the fence and largely immobile, it is only a matter of time before they get finished but BJ survived and a big part of it was his head movement and positioning which allowed him to take far fewer shots flush than you'd expect (though, he still did take a lot, he avoided a fair amount of damage by slipping and moving his head just slightly). The area where both Rory and Nick had the most success was going to BJ's body which he doesn't defend as well.

I'm not sure if Aldo finished Cobrinha or not, but he did beat him, twice in one day. Once in their division and then in the absolute, both at brown belt. However, it's fair to say that Cobrinha was not as dominant at the lower belt levels and didn't become that crazy level of dominance (pre-Mendes) until his black belt.

However, Aldo was most definitely a 'BJJ guy' and was a bronze medallist at the world champs at blue belt level and a world cup champion at brown belt.

Regarding Belfort I think people are confusing speed and power with 'amazing striking'. His hands have looked pretty sloppy at times but they still tend to be effective due to him hitting like a truck.

Back