Is BJ Penn challenging GSP the biggest step up in competition ever?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can’t say I’ve seen anyone recently go up and take on the goat of a higher weight class at THEIR weight.

Mira the equivalent of GSP fighting Silva at 185 or Anderson taking on Jones at 205.

just not something that we see people do ever.

What year is it?

jesusjpg.jpg

Maybe the guy(forgot name atm) who challenged TJ(who was perceived goat before pop) for the belt in his UFC debut.

Rogan challenging Stephen A Smith

Nitpick: in 2006, Hughes was universally considered the 170 GOAT. And GSP was 0-1 against Hughes at the time.

GSP surpassed him a few years later. Some thing before the BJ fight, some think after.

So the real question is, in 2004 was BJ taking on Hughes the biggest step up in competition ever? (by TS's defintion, not mine)?

Baby Jay is truly one of the greatest fighters ever.

It was because their WW contender fight for Hughes was ultra competitive. It was arguably the toughest decision win of GSP's career aside from the Hendricks fight and a lot around here thought GSP lost. BJ busted George up early. BJ went on to lose to Hughes by breaking his ribs during a scramble, but he was still the #1 contender. Then he won the LW belt and wanted to fight George who just got his belt back. It was a huge fight at the time.

GSP obviously made some good adjustments and made BJ quit though. That was still prime BJ and he defended his LW belt a few times after.

He was fighting the champion in a bigger weight class, and a very dominant and dangerous champion at that.

People tend to forget that.
To the death Georges! Or the 4th round at least.

Yes, BJ truly shocked the world when he tapped out Hughes for the WW title.

He was fighting the champion in a bigger weight class, and a very dominant and dangerous champion at that.

People tend to forget that.

^ this and that amazing champion also greased to add to the challenge.

Can’t say I’ve seen anyone recently go up and take on the goat of a higher weight class at THEIR weight.

Mira the equivalent of GSP fighting Silva at 185 or Anderson taking on Jones at 205.

just not something that we see people do ever.

Yes, thats what made BJ great.

Did something that Bore St. Pierre never had the balls to do.

Nitpick: in 2006, Hughes was universally considered the 170 GOAT. And GSP was 0-1 against Hughes at the time.

GSP surpassed him a few years later. Some thing before the BJ fight, some think after.

So the real question is, in 2004 was BJ taking on Hughes the biggest step up in competition ever? (by TS's defintion, not mine)?

This. People forget Penn was the WW champion before he won the LW title. Also Penn and GSP fought before - Penn held his own, but got outworked in rounds 2 and 3 for a clear 28-29 loss. Him stepping up to rematch GSP was ballsy, but not the greatest step up ever

It's definitely up there. Conor going up a weight class to face Alvarez and then going up even further to face Cowboy is also noteworthy.

Connor challenging cowboy at 170

Nah but seriously Connor fighting Khabib should atleast get a mention, I get it technically he didn’t go up in weight and he was the last LW champ, but Connor only had one fight in the UFC at LW and after a lengthy hiatus he went to challenge who many considers the GOAT lightweight

other honorable mentions
Nunes VS Cyborg
Anthony Smith/Santos VS Jones
Chael VS Jones

you COULD argue it was when conor fought Floyd

He had the size and youth on his side, but yeah, it's very unusual to let one of the of the absolute best athletes of a sport fight someone who had literally never competed in that discipline before. Even Brock didn't get an immediate title shot.

Back