Is Benson regretting his move after tonight?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by TStoner, Feb 19, 2016.

1. meatballhat

meatballhat Orange Belt

I'm sure hes fine seeing as how there was a special on him that aired right after!

2. BeardotheWeirdo

BeardotheWeirdo Silver Belt

Didn't see any threads calling Bellator a joke before the fights...

Which leads me to believe that all the people shitting on Bellator now are just salty babies who thought DaDa and Kimbo were legit and are disappointed and angry now that they've realized they're not.

3. LSF81

LSF81 Yellow Belt

It was a terrible fight, but not a freak show like last Bellator show. And that reaction was after the round finished: they didn't stop simultaneously while in the fight.

4. JeffertonAlive

JeffertonAlive Green Belt

So what I'm gathering from this thread is Bendo vs Kimbo for maximum profit. Book it Da...I meant Coker.

TStoner likes this.
  5. Baba Ghanoush

Baba Ghanoush Black Belt

If anything Bendo is probably pissed this fight didn't happen before he was signed. Could've been able to squeeze a few more dollars out of Coker to bring back some credibility.

6. Byron Pechorin

Byron Pechorin Top Level Human

No? He will get paid well to dust dudes that aren't at his level.

Toco likes this.
  7. BeardotheWeirdo

BeardotheWeirdo Silver Belt

Would you be embarrassed by being a top ranked fighter that just got a raise?

You must be a very successful person... or perhaps someone who doesn't understand what it takes to succeed?

Well, Bellator had a great track record for years, they did tournaments to decide their contenders, they had many top ranked fighters and great prospects... and the ratings sucked, so they started doing "freakshow" fights and the numbers improved dramatically.... so they have two choices, die, or put on some freak-show fights to survive.

UFC managed to convince people that they have all the talent locked down. Therefore most won't watch Bellator because the talent isn't good enough. So they turn to freakshows. What else can they do? Bellators gotta eat.

8. loyalsword21

loyalsword21 Blue Belt

Great move for him

9. DM1982

DM1982 Brown Belt

CM Punk, 'once ever athlete', James toney etc etc etc.

Benson is making a horizontal move.

10. PIT FIGHTER

PIT FIGHTER YAMMA Pit Fighter

Why would he give a shit?

By all accounts, including his own, he's making a lot more guaranteed money from Bellator over UFC. The guy has bills to pay and a retirement to think about-- real life responsibilities where money matters over the integrity of the cage fighting promotion which signs his checks.

Even the "it's not about money" fighters are filthy rich with the best contracts so they are at least self-aware about how it really goes down.

Besides, as someone else noted, UFC has CM Punk on their roster for fucks sake.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Go Go Plata and GIBLERTBAPTISTA like this.
  11. GIBLERTBAPTISTA

GIBLERTBAPTISTA PRIDE was better tbh

Nah. if anything, he's regretting not signing sooner and getting a spot on today's card. Because you know this card did great tv ratings.

12. corygraves

corygraves White Belt

Why would he? Because Bellator put on some freakshow/obnoxious fights? Like UFC never did?

13. AimedWithV

AimedWithV Wound in the Force

Uh...last time I remember something on this level was in pre-Zuffa UFC...

14. Xuh

Xuh Red Belt

No, and he shouldn't. Bellator is currently serving up many flavours of MMA in an effort to find a niche and make money. Lesnar nubs who have grown up watching the 'only UFC' era don't get it evidently.... but 'serious' MMA will always be the cornerstone of any org, as it was for PRIDE.

In going down this road, Bellator is making it all about the fighter's personalities. That's god to be exciting for anyone involved, a guy like Benson has been around long enough, he can express himself again. UFC ias all about stripping away fighter identities (outside of a couple of 'chosen ones') hence the reebok identakits, etc

15. Lowercase p

Lowercase p Purple Belt

The difference would be that UFC released Kimbo after this and Bellator signed him after this.

16. VulcanNervPinch

VulcanNervPinch Silver Belt

I doubt it.

It's not like he's going to have to fight Kimbo.

He'll get decent opponents and the checks will clear.

17. mbach4307

mbach4307 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I don't follow bellator the same way I follow the ufc but their upcoming cards are all pretty good.

18. Russie

Russie Black Belt

He had to already know what he was getting into. There are many legit fights and still an option for those serious about there craft. He'll have have a run there as long as he can make some money and keep his name out there. The UFC got all they was going to get out of him. He felt he could still get back to the title and be a main eventer but it wasn't going to happen.

19. TStoner

TStoner Oatmeal cream stout

How do you know he got a raise? What if this is only beneficial to him should he win the title fight? What if he loses?

I know I would rather be associated with a better company, than jumping ship to a lesser one, while possibly on the decline of my career - especially from a fans standpoint where we don't know exactly what financial ups/downs may be in play. I'd be embarrased to be a part of a company who's largest event only did (I could be wrong) roughly 150K buys. I would be embarrassed to consider myself a 'top fighter' who goes down to a lesser league in order to feel more confident. This simply does not happen in other sports; you could say money is a factor, but again we do not know exactly what kind of factor it is, or how much of a risk he took.

Finally, do not judge me. You sound stupid and insecure judging somebody who you know nothing about. I'm an electrical designer and would most definitely consider myself successful.

20. TStoner

TStoner Oatmeal cream stout

How many people do you think watched it at that time of night on a Friday after the shit show that came before it?