Is Benson Henderson leaving the UFC the start of a new era in the sport

I hope Bellator doesn't start using a PPV model. That will ruin the whole thing.

So was Dan Henderson leaving for Strikeforce...

Oh wait a minute...

So was Dan Henderson leaving for Strikeforce...

Oh wait a minute...
While I understand your sarcasm and somewhat agree, to be fair, circumstances are a bit different now than they where in 2009.

New era in sports..? He's a great fighter that's moving on the UFC's loss Bellators gain...

No, it isn't an exodus no matter how much anybody wants it to be, everybody thinks Viacom is now some sort of saviour because Benson has signed with Bellator but the reality of the situation is that viacom isn't an open chequebook for Coker to just dive into whenever he feels like it.

While I understand your sarcasm and somewhat agree, to be fair, circumstances are a bit different now than they where in 2009.

You're right, the UFC is making more television money, they're getting more money from a direct sponsor and they're trending upward this year too. I'm sure they're more particular about who they cherry pick when it comes to re-sign fighters who are leaving and the brand is just as strong as ever.

One guy leaving, not matter how much I'm a huge fan of Bendo, doesn't mean much.

Fighting out of your contract and testing your worth is what every fighter should be doing now. Instead resigning before contract is up.

You're right, the UFC is making more television money, they're getting more money from a direct sponsor and they're trending upward this year too. I'm sure they're more particular about who they cherry pick when it comes to re-sign fighters who are leaving and the brand is just as strong as ever.

One guy leaving, not matter how much I'm a huge fan of Bendo, doesn't mean much.
Exactly, the UFC is making much more money, but that proves the other guy's point, moron boy. The UFC is raking in cash while the majority of the fighters are raking in bread crumbs. The fighters who made more than triple their show money just in sponsorships are getting fucked by this Reebok deal. THAT is what he was meaning and it went right over your head.

Exactly, the UFC is making much more money, but that proves the other guy's point, moron boy. The UFC is raking in cash while the majority of the fighters are raking in bread crumbs. The fighters who made more than triple their show money just in sponsorships are getting fucked by this Reebok deal. THAT is what he was meaning and it went right over your head.

Moron boy? Funny.

I know what he's implying. I didn't think I needed to spell it all out while it's blatantly obvious, but you feel the need to regurgitate obvious points, so feel free.

All that said, a lot of these guys had better, much different contracts than Benson did, so they're probably going to re-negotiate at a higher level. If you really paid attention, a lot of the higher ranked fighters end up with special 'Monster' patches and other sponsors on their shorts, so I'm certain they're making more money than the Reebok payout reports in relation to sponsors. I also believe many of these guys who are younger than Benson or are getting PPV money want to stay in the UFC for legacy, notoriety and the limelight, which is much larger than what Bellator can provide.

You can go ahead and fellate yourself now.

No, even a great fighter like Benson isn't enough. It has to be a champ or a draw.

Heheh I think I'll start calling people "moron boy"

No, there is no new era left for this sport. Nobody will ever be able to topple what the UFC has built. There isn't much more the fighters can do in the cage to build interest, either.

Only if he wins
This, and he has significant financial success through personal sponsors apposed to the UFC's Rebook deal. Also Bellator markets him successfully and builds his name. Next thing you know you're see him in Nike commercials. If all these things happen and more, I can see UFC fighters wanting to fallow him.

You know I love you, like really love you. But don't act like the direct sponsor has been good for the sport. It definitely hasn't been good for the fighters. Having options is a good thing.

Though this may not start a great migration (although I wouldn't mind it), I believe Benson's decision will have a bigger impact on the MMA landscape when things are said and done than Hendo's decision to leave seven years ago.

Again, I love you.

You know I love you, like really love you. But don't act like the direct sponsor has been good for the sport. It definitely hasn't been good for the fighters. Having options is a good thing.

Though this may not start a great migration (although I wouldn't mind it), I believe Benson's decision will have a bigger impact on the MMA landscape when things are said and done than Hendo's decision to leave seven years ago.

Again, I love you.

I never implied it was good for the fighters, nor the sport. However, it is good for the UFC. I don't think it will have a huge impact. The UFC could lock up any guy they really, truly wanted. They apparently didn't want Benson that badly.

Exactly.

Edit, minus the moron boy that was uncalled for

Back