Is anyone hurting for cash with the whole Corona thing?

I had a chunk of change set aside for travelling.

If I end tapping into that, it’s gonna hurt, but I’ll consider myself lucky that I got something to get by with when a lot of people don’t.

If the lockdown in NZ goes longer than the four weeks, I could see the government letting people withdraw from the govt administered retirement scheme that we have here. I would probably do that if it was an option as I have a decent amount in there and I’m only in my 30s.

Not yet.

Doctor advised me I should be looking at staying off work. Done so. Wife is still working so that'll help. Have a bit of savings.

In theory I get paid but who knows currently...

Got fuck all coming in

just dripping out my savings

getting beyond bored, the boredom will kill
Me first

I opened an online shop 3 months ago and barely started getting customers the last 3 weeks before I had to shut it down. I was just starting to make enough to pay for the vendors then two weeks before the lockdown I had zero customers. No one is interested in clothing when they fear they're gonna run out of toilet paper. I'm really disappointed because I put a lot of money and work into just getting it started. It is what it is. Hopefully we get over this soon and I can start it again.

I have plenty of money saved up and I have a job that is considered essential. Even in a recession I'd be financially well off. For those of you who are infected and/or lost your job, I pray for you. These are hard times and it will probably get harder.

I feel terrible for all the folks struggling right now because I lost my job back in 2008 & it sucked. But this time around things are much better . I work from home now & although there's been a slow down with how busy I am I'm still working 9.5 hours every day M-F. And even if I wasn't, my wife's a licensed mental health counselor & her job pays enough for us both to live comfortably so we're good.

Not yet.

Doctor advised me I should be looking at staying off work. Done so. Wife is still working so that'll help. Have a bit of savings.

In theory I get paid but who knows currently...
Your doctor put you on disability?

Your doctor put you on disability?

Nope , bit different In the UK. Personally I feel like I could be at work but she said I should be looking at staying at home. Seems to think I'd be more vulnerable if I caught it. Normally carry on a normal life. She has refered me to another clinic at the hospital after I had a heart scare last year for something different...I reckon she knows something else that may complicate things...we'll see..

Ahh I see. I do believe a heart condition is a pre-existing condition that would put you at risk if you caught the virus. If your wife knows more about your health then just listen to her hehe. Keep safe man.

In my area a lot of businesses had to close down, where is that money for them coming from? Our national deficit?
I would think so. I’ve read quite a bit about what’s in the proposed bills but can’t find much on how it’s funded. Sounds like congress has reached an agreement and a stimulus packages should be passed shortly.

So far I’m doing fine money-wise, I’ve continued to work from home. Our governor signed a Stay At Home order yesterday which is causing business closures so not sure what the near future will bring for me. A lot of our workers are now furloughed. I am not but it’s very possible in the coming days. I’ll get by ok though, just a bit stressful.

My retirement account is hurting, and my dad who is retired lost about half of his savings that he had invested.

i work for a public utility that cant be shut down so ive been lucky not to have my work/finances impacted. But I did have a facebook friend, someone i havent seen in 20 years who wasnt even that close a friend to begin with, contact me just 24 hours ago saying that hes in a bad spot and is staying at a motel 6 with his wife and 2 kids and asked if i could call the hotel and give them permission to run my card for 1 additional nights stay at 107$. My only hesitation was that i might be getting scammed so I made sure the whole hotel for 1 night was legit and spoke with the hotel directly. I figure worst case scenario, this guy is getting wasted looking for a helping hand to get him and his boys another nights stay. But the alternative was that a man with a family was in need of help and according to him, might have to sleep in a car. I can look myself in the mirror with either of those possibilities if I helped which I did.
What changes for him in a day?

I opened an online shop 3 months ago and barely started getting customers the last 3 weeks before I had to shut it down. I was just starting to make enough to pay for the vendors then two weeks before the lockdown I had zero customers. No one is interested in clothing when they fear they're gonna run out of toilet paper. I'm really disappointed because I put a lot of money and work into just getting it started. It is what it is. Hopefully we get over this soon and I can start it again.

I have plenty of money saved up and I have a job that is considered essential. Even in a recession I'd be financially well off. For those of you who are infected and/or lost your job, I pray for you. These are hard times and it will probably get harder.

My wife is interested in clothing, and TP...I was hoping the virus would curb those habits..so far, no luck.

I had strong savings on the side so I'm good.
The poor/working class are the ones getting killed here.
Literally my entire country has shut down and there's no end in sight.
Thankfully in my country there's a strong social welfare safety net so nobody's going to starve or anything.

Trump said he wants to restart the economy already in April (what a stupid buffoon) because there's no way many people in US can survive without work. This guy might actually make the epidemic last longer in the US if he restarts the economy too soon.

I think he's literally planning on ignoring people getting the virus and potentially dying, since the percentage of deaths is low. That's a common attitude I see among American right wingers. Treat the virus like a flu and ignore it.

I had strong savings on the side so I'm good.
The poor/working class are the ones getting killed here.
Literally my entire country has shut down and there's no end in sight.
Thankfully in my country there's a strong social welfare safety net so nobody's going to starve or anything.

Trump said he wants to restart the economy already in April (what a stupid buffoon) because there's no way many people in US can survive without work. This guy might actually make the epidemic last longer in the US if he restarts the economy too soon.

I think he's literally planning on ignoring people getting the virus and potentially dying, since the percentage of deaths is low. That's a common attitude I see among American right wingers. Treat the virus like a flu and ignore it.

or he might save lives and limit suffering by starting the economy in April..unless you are some kind of fortune teller, maybe try being a little optimistic, we need positivity right now.

or he might save lives and limit suffering by starting the economy in April..unless you are some kind of fortune teller, maybe try being a little optimistic, we need positivity right now.

I don't buy into positivity or negativity, I trade in reality.
A virus pandemic needs to be treated methodically, not with emotions.
Restarting an economy in the middle of a pandemic, with evidence showing the epicenter is shifting to the US, is moronic, dangerous, and will further damage the US economy if not treated seriously and properly.

What changes for him in a day?
he said that he just recently started a new job and just needed to get through the week until he got paid. I told a family member of mine about the situation and they called the hotel as well to pay for 1 day as well (he didnt request this or any additional help but said he would try to pay us back when he could) He said that they were looking for a room or garage to rent soon as possible. I didnt want to dive deep into whats all going on. I do know someone who saw him couple years ago working at a walmart. Hopefully hes trying to put himself in better spot.

I don't buy into positivity or negativity, I trade in reality.
A virus pandemic needs to be treated methodically, not with emotions.
Restarting an economy in the middle of a pandemic, with evidence showing the epicenter is shifting to the US, is moronic, dangerous, and will further damage the US economy if not treated seriously and properly.

Most people with your personality type don’t “buy into “ anything different or unknown. Thank god there are some of us who think differently, if we all thought narrow, the world would be a very different place today..

https://www.sciencealert.com/sorry-...-reality-of-quantum-weirdness-in-the-universe

Absolutely not, having three properties in three countries sucked up most of my savings, my wife and daughter (especially) cost quite a bit but my wife earns a great salary and with the fact my daughters college fund is absolutely fat we’re OK.

Stock wise I just moved it over to gold, fuck Disney tho, I lost a wee penny with them.

Actually have one colleague on suicide watch because he tried to play the market and lost.

When grandma told you to save a few pennies for a rainy day this is what she was alluding to.

Hopefully all of you guys will be ok and also this is a great sign to end materialism, all those morons paying $$$ for Nike shoes or whatever fucking grossly overpriced bags women purchase should be taking notes.

Also I will take great schadenfreude in HARLEY-DAVIDSON, should never have pushed the prices up after the yuppies came in the scene in the 80’s.

No. I don't have a job or an income but I'm spending about 2% of my savings per month.

So I'm fine for about 4 years. I think this should play out way before that.

Back