Is anyone here a "square on" boxer?

weirdflex

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Does anyone here use a more square on style stance (or even fully square) like Tyson, Julio Chavez, Floyd Patterson and the like when boxing?

This question is for anyone who spars hands only, even if you are an MMA or MT fighter.

Its a very rare thing to see boxers to with a square stance but those who do seem to have great success exploiting it as it allows you to do the side bend type of slip , squat and side to side power hooks to the body.

But it also seems like those people have incredible natural reflexes and confidence to rely on these skills , possibly something beyond what someone without that ability can learn.
Duran would go pretty square with his infighting too and his ability to avoid being hit when right in front of opponent, often touching skin was unbelievable.

The most famous coach of this style; Cus D'amato reportedly thought of his style (which came to be known as peekaboo) as something which absolutely prioritised defense. And going by the second hand account through his student Joey Hadley, it is apparently a fool proof method to make an ungifted sub par student into a competent boxer.

I am doubtful if that is true, as the orthodox popular style used in amateur boxing especially and by those very analytical Soviets. Has always been the side on style.
But I'd be happy if it was as I'd like to learn.

Two things which seem impossible to me right now are closing distance from out of range to mid range while square on. There are plenty of videos of Tyson doing the drill for this with some kind of modified Dempsey roll/falling step thing with simultaneous V Bob and weave.
I have been trying to do it for a year and am not even close.

The other impossibly hard thing is having the balls to go square on at long range to mid distance and rely entirely on the side bend slips and squat type ducking and most of all the figure 8 type rolling of head with bent over torso - all as the methods of evading being hit.

Gym is on lockdown like everyone else. But to paint a picture, the "culture" of the gym is that the only sparring is 100% sparring. No head protectors either. If you ask someone to technical spar softly or drill you will be thrown out of the ring for people who want to 100% spar.

Does anyone here use a more square on style stance (or even fully square) like Tyson, Julio Chavez, Floyd Patterson and the like when boxing?

My boxing stance is more angle. However, there are moments where I'll quickly go into a squared stance to land some hooks. Of course, I'm not standing in front of my opponent, I'm more off to the side.

Far as the gym only going a 100% in sparring is dumb. I used to have that mentality until I learn the benefits of doing technical sparring. In my opinion, it's about quality over quantity. So I'm a big believer in doing technical sparring and every once in a while you can sprinkle some hard sparring.

I don't disagree, but that's just the way the gym I am at is like. Because it is a professional gym , but a small one which barely has the funds to stay open.
There is only one ring, so priority goes to those with an upcoming fight. For anyone without a fight coming up it is a special privilege to spar, so anything less than 100% is seen as a waste of time in the gym.
Everyone at the gym is expected to eventually fight, beginners included. As the meagre income from fights it puts on is what keeps the whole thing running.

This question is for anyone who spars hands only, even if you are an MMA or MT fighter.

Its a very rare thing to see boxers to with a square stance but those who do seem to have great success exploiting it as it allows you to do the side bend type of slip , squat and side to side power hooks to the body.

But it also seems like those people have incredible natural reflexes and confidence to rely on these skills , possibly something beyond what someone without that ability can learn.
Duran would go pretty square with his infighting too and his ability to avoid being hit when right in front of opponent, often touching skin was unbelievable.

The most famous coach of this style; Cus D'amato reportedly thought of his style (which came to be known as peekaboo) as something which absolutely prioritised defense. And going by the second hand account through his student Joey Hadley, it is apparently a fool proof method to make an ungifted sub par student into a competent boxer.

I am doubtful if that is true, as the orthodox popular style used in amateur boxing especially and by those very analytical Soviets. Has always been the side on style.

Two things which seem impossible to me right now are closing distance from out of range to mid range while square on. There are plenty of videos of Tyson doing the drill for this with some kind of modified Dempsey roll/falling step thing with simultaneous V Bob and weave.

The other impossibly hard thing is having the balls to go square on at long range to mid distance and rely entirely on the side bend slips and squat type ducking and most of all the figure 8 type rolling of head with bent over torso - all as the methods of evading being hit.

Gym is on lockdown like everyone else. But to paint a picture, the "culture" of the gym is that the only sparring is 100% sparring. No head protectors either. If you ask someone to technical spar softly or drill you will be thrown out of the ring for people who want to 100% spar.

MT in general is much more square than the rest of the combat sports. Within MT there are different stance variations, some more square than others, some more bladed/sideways than others........I was taught and prefer the square stance, Bas Rutten is an advocate of the square stance, as was tyson/damato who Im a big fan.

anyways, since I fought MT squared, when I would spar boxing only, I was still in my MT stance, thus much more square than boxers. Generally speaking, for boxing, the bladed side stance is better........square stance is good for inside fighting, which is what tyson did, due to his height and reach disadvantage.....I also prefer inside fighting in MT as well. I rather just march fwd and fight each other like 2 rams fighting, than fighting like a mongoose.

square stance is better for a aggressive fwd style of fighting, bladed allows greater movement and allows for a more evasive style. To each his own.

I do not agree with your gyms philosophy on sparring.

How do you close distance in your MT stance? Do you break your stance and walk with normal steps ?

A squarish stance allows more seamless switch-hitting too.

A squarish stance allows more seamless switch-hitting too.
That is one reason it appeals to me as I am very comfortable as a switch hitter.
I'm a square stance you aren't really switch hitting though as a full square stance is neutral. Neither hand is the lead hand.

@weirdflex , I think you learn how to fight both ways, but use the stance that is more of your preference.

You dont have to stay square on all the time. It worked for tyson but it may not work for others as easily or well due to different body dynamics. While closing the distance you could use an angled stance and switch when you get in range. The peekaboo style can be quite intimidating to the other guy if you can advance aa tyson did in his heyday!

https://v.redd.it/knbmvtamsyr41

a great example of a naturally square on fighter. I really doubt he has been studying the methods of D'amato. Watch him improve as the fight goes on and he becomes squarer with his stance. Zero jabs thrown, all hooks. Both favouring and landing with right hand nearly every time. And any miss is just directly loading the other hand.

This actually wasn't D' Amato style aka Mike.
Guard usually is higher and combos are used with fast sequences under D'Amato.
---
So you close distance and change angles/ height simultaneously throwing combos and maintain guard smoothly, buy minimising openings. Bob and weave too ofc, but you should be able dynamically change height and load with legs/ hips properly.
Like Mike 1984-1988. There not enough attention is done to their footwork, starting from ground till ass and hips & spine postion.
Cos in order to bang with power and keep less possible openings for said force delivery, sorry, to know that hands can ensure only not more than 1/3 of possible punch power is necessity.
Patterson and Tyson were more " combo guys " ….
----

How do you close distance in your MT stance? Do you break your stance and walk with normal steps ?

I would just walk people down, or march in. I dont fight anymore, but generally speaking, most guys "ran" from me. Some guys would try to meet me head on, but I preferred a muay khao style of fighting and clinch/knee was probably my best attribute. I also placed a large emphasis on shin conditioning, so this again would cause most guys to "run".

"traditional" MT was much more of a stand and bang kind of style.........the sport is evolving though and incorporating more movement, which is better IMO. You can have a square stance and still have movement. and throughout the fight, there will be times when you will be more bladed as well, just cause thats how you have to be.

A analogy I used before is the "surfer stance"....see a surfer, everyne knows the surfer stance right? sideways, knees bent, hands out....great........now watch a guy surf......that may be his basic stance, but you will find him in many different positions while surfing. The same thing applies to fighting. Be in your stance, hands up.......great, unfortuantely you cannot be in that perfect stance all the time......you will need to move your body, and even drop your hands at times, to remain on balance.

Take these 2 pics for example. the non punching hand is down, this is technically incorrect technique, as that hand should be glued to the face. But its not.......its just the way things are. and these guys are the best of the best......im not saying dont keep your hands up. just that its not possible 24/7.......a bit side tracked here but I guess point being. you will have to move your body, the way it needs to be moved, if that requires a more side stance at that specific moment, do it.

canelo-ggg-live-blog.jpg

9f3b3d7150a34e9004ac9467d169b617

1 st Picture might look incorrect from some point of wiev, but not always.
1. He is forced opponent rise both hands and is " blocking " them with his one hand, another hand is free, so if he acts enough fast and is stronger than opponent, then looks not that bad.
from TMA ish point too doesn't looks that bad.

Last edited:
My background is TKD so I’m way more side on. But I square when I get closer. I’m pretty sure Poirier does something similar.
I don’t have enough experience with that and I don’t trust my reflexes enough to do it without getting bombed. lol

I’m also addicted to side kicks to the body. Hard to do when you’re square.

I shift often in the ring and square my stance just to give a different look. My main stance is bladed though using the left shoulder as a shield

Back