Is anyone else less and less interested in personalities, more into the sport?

Yeah I guess Sonnen holds some entertainment value but I would prefer it if he wanted to say something about fights in stead of just yelling whatever he think will get most attention this week.

If I wanted comedy I'd see a funny movie or something.

That's true too, I think he usually gives insightful comments regarding fighting when he's serious.

i like fighting styles more than anything

clowns get on my nerves the most

Definitely with you on being more concerned with seeing quality fights and good sportsmanship than I am with 'my favourite guy stomping everyone'. I did not start off that way either, but I've seen enough supposedly bad cards turn out great and vice versa that it makes sense.

Over the years my attachment to 'favorite fighters" as lessened indeed, I just want to see good fights , whoever wins is moot if the fight was good.

I usually DVR the shows on TV, like fox, fuel, fx, etc, watch the fights, and fast forward through the interviews. I don't care at all what they have to say.

I gotta admit I'm a sucker for my favourite fighters. I'm not really into endlessly arguing about them on sherdog but I do like watching the ones I favour fighting. This is normally due to how they perform in the ring but it does somewhat extend to personality too. I still appreciate certain aspects of feuds/rivalries etc but mainly I support fighters based on fighting ability and heart.

kiafu9t.jpg

If there was literally no prefight build up, no post fight interviews, no commercials and only match ups were announced, my enjoyment and rate of consumption would not change at all.

In fact it would be nice to not have to sit through a bunch of crap I don't care about in between fights.

When I started watching mma I liked the quiet, humble, dynamic fighters like Machida and JDS more so for their personalities than actual fighting ability (even though they are both respective badasses).

As I watched more fights, and saw what worked and what didn't, and what I looked for in fighters had completely changed. I now have somewhat of a technical grasp, and appreciate fighters like Max Holloway, and Albert Tumenov, who have no personality but are both technically brilliant, and destructive.

It that sort of what you're getting at ts

That's how I prefer to watch MMA.

Sure I have fighters I prefer, but I like to follow the whole roster.

Not much more to add - I like some insights but too much reality TV kinda sours my interest. Training and Fights mostly.

The wordy title says it all: is anyone less and less interested in following particular fighters, but liking the sport more for what it is?
I'm not like this any other sport. If I watch football or basketball, it's probably for a specific team, but for MMA, I'm just getting less interested in following individual careers, and more interested in the sport as a whole.

This doesn't mean I don't have old favorites. I've been watching the sport for more than 10 years now, I'm bound to have a few guys I love to watch fight (and hopefully win), but at this point, I'm more excited for a quality card than one with big names.

I know I'm being redundant. Anyone else in the same boat?

I generally watch the whole card for every card. Sometimes not the fp prelims. Honestly there are so many fights I can't even remember everyone. Basically I have old favourites like silva and machida who were around when I first started watching, and then I have people that seem good and I actively try to remember them so I can make sure so see there fights. Yair Rodriguez for example.

I'm more a fan of the sport. Nothing pisses me off more than when I hear people bitching about "not enough big names" or "none of my favrite fighters" being on a card, especially free ones. Who is fighting is usually isn't very important to me. I just want to see fights. I actually find the no names to be more entertaining. They are usually young and hungry, and looking to make a name for themselves, and go all out. The established guys are the ones who tend to be picky about who they fight, fight safe, etc.

That's taking it way too far, IMO. I don't really give a fuck about the fake grudges and stuff, but I want to see the best guys and meaningful fights.

That's how I prefer to watch MMA.

Sure I have fighters I prefer, but I like to follow the whole roster.
Whoa, haven't seen this guy for ages!

And yes, I care less about personalities and more about fights as time goes by. That isn't to say there aren't some fighters I like and some I dislike, but I can separate that from enjoying their fighting more now than a few years ago. Rockhold is a good example of someone I'd cheer against in the past. Now I just ignore him until he is fighting, and then he's great!

I prefer to view the fighters as people as well as combatants.

When we strip them of their humanity, we might as well be watching dog fighting, or something equally barbaric.

lol that's such horseshit. Consenting adults hitting each other and grappling is as barbaric as watching two dogs being forced to claw and bite each other to shreds if you view the fighters as only combatants and not people? How does one even not view them as people?

I pride myself on knowing mroe about a fighters fighting abilities than his personal life.

If you want to see polite a polite Canadian get upset really quickly try saying something like that to their face.

French or not, you will quickly discover how wrong that statement is.

There is no "i" in Canada by the way.

lol i'm canadian, I'd give him a timbit and a smile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back