Is anyone else less and less interested in personalities, more into the sport?

I really don't buy into the cult of personality that runs some media outlets. oooh, what did Joe lauzon listen to before breakfast?

If you want to see polite a polite Canadian get upset really quickly try saying something like that to their face.

French or not, you will quickly discover how wrong that statement is.

There is no "i" in Canada by the way.

yes there is an "i" in Canadia.

but because French Canadians dont pronounce it, in Canada they removed the "i" a few years back.

but everywhere else in the civilized world, its still spelled Canadia.

I like both, I dig some of the personalities, can make some fights feels more interesting . I do follow MMA as a whole though and watch everything I can, UFC , bellator , SF, or any promotion that's gets on TV.

I can get into the "extras", but only if it is real and not manufactured.

Sometimes it is tough to tell.

The wordy title says it all: is anyone less and less interested in following particular fighters, but liking the sport more for what it is?
I'm not like this any other sport. If I watch football or basketball, it's probably for a specific team, but for MMA, I'm just getting less interested in following individual careers, and more interested in the sport as a whole.

This doesn't mean I don't have old favorites. I've been watching the sport for more than 10 years now, I'm bound to have a few guys I love to watch fight (and hopefully win), but at this point, I'm more excited for a quality card than one with big names.

I know I'm being redundant. Anyone else in the same boat?

I think the same way. I have a few favorites, but I'll still watch literally any MMA fight. I also don't care too much about who wins and loses, who holds the belt, etc. I just like to watch the fights.

to an extent yea - i mean, i like watching certain guys more - but yea, the sht talk and the tabloids portion of it is disappointing

its about the fights

I got you TS.

Champion A vs Number 1 contender B, and Joe Bob vs John Smith.

I am going to watch both, and the one I will enjoy more and will last we me is the one that was was more fun and a better fight, not the one that means more (championship fights can be great fights though).

I like both equally.

I find that the fights are usually better when I don't see any of the hype or buildup though, because then I don't have any expectations...I won't get let down after being really pumped for a particular fight.

Diaz vs Condit would be a good recent example...Rampage vs Rashad wasn't that good IMO, neither was Jones vs Rashad or Rampage either.

I like everything but I cum my pants for some good feuds .

If your not a very emotional person and more of a spok character, you will be less interested in personalities.

If you are are a very emotional person like me, loving and hating fighters is a big part of the appeal.

I like a little bit of personality but I don't watch Countdowns or Primetimes. A few interviews, maybe some training, but mostly I just want to watch the fights.

I don't care about personalities so long as they're not abrasive arseholes. If they're like Tito Ortiz, then I generally don't like them.

I don't like drama and reality tv. I can get curious by an appealing persona though, like gsp or Kenny F. I fucking hate trash talking and fake beefs like rashad vs rampage. I think it's the wwe like stupidity of its that gets me.

I tend to watch all the prelims etc, as long as I can. Big names get me a little more excited for a fight, but mainly it's styles. When you have a big name+an interesting matchup, that's when I can't wait to watch.
This is true for me. Seeing Anderson Silva fight against what was thought to be his worst style match up in Chael Sonnen was fun but watching him slaughter a hopeless Bonnar was much less so.
I enjoy the sport, and think that fake animosity-hype before the fights is a waste of everyone's time ("it's gunna be a dogfight, I'm going to fight to the death, I can't stand the guy", then they fight, then they hug and high-five, and tell Rogan "it was just promotion, he's a great athlete, he deserved to win"). I appreciate a little background piece on each fighter, provided that the info is actually relevant or entertaining, and not just a 2-minute montage of the guy shadowboxing with a goofy voice-over telling everyone "don't blink - this is going to end violently".

I hate the forced lines as well.

For me, I tend to gravitate towards certain fighters because of their style and then I take in interest in them as a person. I'll never like a fighter for their personality alone, that's just silly IMO. I might like them more or less because of their personality but I'll tend to remain a fan either way. Case in point, Matt Hughes. The guy seems like a jerk but its still fun to watch his older fights when he was wrecking people.

I don't like drama and reality tv. I can get curious by an appealing persona though, like gsp or Kenny F. I fucking hate trash talking and fake beefs like rashad vs rampage. I think it's the wwe like stupidity of its that gets me.
I tend to dislike trash talk but Sonnen is the exception for me, I love hearing the shit he spews and it was made better by the fact that a lot of people, Anderson included, got real butt hurt over it.

When other guys trash talk, it seems to just fall flat and everyone sees it for what it is.
I really don't buy into the cult of personality that runs some media outlets. oooh, what did Joe lauzon listen to before breakfast?

Trick question, he was playing video games.

I wouldnt say I'm huge on personalities so much as I'm big on knowing I'm seeing the best vs. the best. I saw a lot of people saying "Oh I love watching no names" and to me thats just a bunch of shit. If I want to watch no namers punch each other in the face I can go to a club.

I tend to dislike trash talk but Sonnen is the exception for me, I love hearing the shit he spews and it was made better by the fact that a lot of people, Anderson included, got real butt hurt over it.

When other guys trash talk, it seems to just fall flat and everyone sees it for what it is.

Trick question, he was playing video games.

Yeah I guess Sonnen holds some entertainment value but I would prefer it if he wanted to say something about fights in stead of just yelling whatever he think will get most attention this week.

If I wanted comedy I'd see a funny movie or something.

Back