Is anyone else less and less interested in personalities, more into the sport?

Spoken

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The wordy title says it all: is anyone less and less interested in following particular fighters, but liking the sport more for what it is?
I'm not like this any other sport. If I watch football or basketball, it's probably for a specific team, but for MMA, I'm just getting less interested in following individual careers, and more interested in the sport as a whole.

This doesn't mean I don't have old favorites. I've been watching the sport for more than 10 years now, I'm bound to have a few guys I love to watch fight (and hopefully win), but at this point, I'm more excited for a quality card than one with big names.

I know I'm being redundant. Anyone else in the same boat?

That's how I prefer to watch MMA.

Sure I have fighters I prefer, but I like to follow the whole roster.

I have friends who watch every Countdown and Primetime and go online to watch fighter interviews, and I just can't get into it. Words don't matter once you get into the cage, I don't care if you say you've been working on your wrestling with so and so Olympic alternate or you found Jesus or whatever. What happens outside the cage is mostly fluff, which is why Sonnen-Jones irks me a bit.

I'm the same. I like the stories behind some of the match ups, but if I want drama and feuds, I watch WWE. I want people to prove legit skill once they're in the octagon and show their worth.

I'm more a fan of the sport. Nothing pisses me off more than when I hear people bitching about "not enough big names" or "none of my favrite fighters" being on a card, especially free ones. Who is fighting is usually isn't very important to me. I just want to see fights. I actually find the no names to be more entertaining. They are usually young and hungry, and looking to make a name for themselves, and go all out. The established guys are the ones who tend to be picky about who they fight, fight safe, etc.

u must love the free/cable TV cards then. they are generally great cards and not reliant on one big name or title shot. except Fox1. boy was that a flop.

I don't really have many favorite fighters, I get excited for cards based on matchups and styles. There's a lot of people on Sherdog that call themselves MMA fans but don't give a FUEL or FX card the time of day because it doesn't have big names on it. It's a lot more enjoyable to follow the UFC if you have more knowledge about all fighters.

I tend to watch all the prelims etc, as long as I can. Big names get me a little more excited for a fight, but mainly it's styles. When you have a big name+an interesting matchup, that's when I can't wait to watch.

I'd say John Lineker has captured my attention a lot. He's an exciting fighter who brings it every time, and he's a new fighter in a new division in the UFC. A guy like him I'll probably follow a bit more closely.

Yeah I would count myself in this group. I honestly cant say I really have a "favorite" fighter (Fedor would be closest) so I dont really get too invested in the careers of individual guys. I'm more interested in the sport as a whole.

I dont like the fake drama at all, I admire sportmanship and amazing heart and willpower and skill shown inside the cage.

i have a few fighters i root for but for the most part, meh. the road to the octagon with penn was good though, though rory's part was weird. Dude seems off.

I couldn't care less about personalities, shit, I'd be a fan of Kim Jong Ill if he was a killer in the cage.

i have a few fighters i root for but for the most part, meh. the road to the octagon with penn was good though, though rory's part was weird. Dude seems off.

He's part French. Of course he's off.

I never gave a damn about personalities. Skillset is alway's #1 and fighters who show a certain amount of respect and don't act like 14 year old imbeciles matters as well.....to me.

Yeah. There are a few guys I root for but I don't care much for the "Primetimes" and "Road to UFC" shows that focus almost completely on Shoguns wife and kid, Gus's sister and gf, Bendo's mom, BJ's babies and had about 8 seconds of training footage. I did like the all access shows a few years ago that followed the workouts.

im usually fan of someone based on their philosophy and approach to the sport,, so yeah course

Back