Is Antonio Tarver a HOFmer?

I'm gonna say no.

He beat a shot Roy (after losing to him the first time). I thought their 3rd fight was kinda embarrassing tbh with Tarver getting hurt multiple times by Roy's corpse.

I think it was Emannuel Steward who commented that he saw Tarver as mentally weak.

and then the Hopkins thing happened where he got kinda humiliated.

Dawson whooped him twice

some good wins in there though. Obviously beat Roy. Beat Montell Griffin. Beat Glen Johnson after losing to him. Beat Eric Harding after losing to him. Beat Reggie Johnson. Stopped Danny Green, Jonathan Banks and beat Clinton Woods

watcha think
Roy was 35 I believe when he lost to Tarver. 35 is not old in boxing terms, especially when Roy wasn’t one for taking much punishment most of his career. Tarver beat him handily in the second fight and in the third. That alone is some accomplishment by Tarver. He also has some other solid wins so he should be a hall of famer IMO.

Roy was 35 I believe when he lost to Tarver. 35 is not old in boxing terms, especially when Roy wasn’t one for taking much punishment most of his career. Tarver beat him handily in the second fight and in the third. That alone is some accomplishment by Tarver. He also has some other solid wins so he should be a hall of famer IMO.
Roy never really looked lke Roy again after the Ruiz fight though. Thats why most discredit Tarver for it.

Gatti makes sense to me. People still talk about his fights with Ward when "favorite fights" threads come up.
Its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statistical Greats. Fighters who impact the sport but were not the greatest get in all the time.

the hall never seemed to be about how good a fighter actually was but how much of an impact they seemed to make. Tarver ended the invincibility of someone who some see as the greatest fighter ever. Personally, I think he was about the same level of fighter that roy was routinely spanking a few years before, a good, competent pro but not especially good.

To be fair he was calling Roy out and telling everyone how he could beat him when he was still “invincible Roy”.

Borderline but not a HOFer in my book.

To be fair he was calling Roy out and telling everyone how he could beat him when he was still “invincible Roy”.

Borderline but not a HOFer in my book.
yes he was, i read an article that speculated that roy might have been avoiding tarver, but having watched tarver, nah, he's nothing roy wouldn't have beat like a pinata a few years before.

Sure. I haven’t been and will need some folks to skip when I do for time.

yes he was, i read an article that speculated that roy might have been avoiding tarver, but having watched tarver, nah, he's nothing roy wouldn't have beat like a pinata a few years before.

Well that’s Roy’s fault for not fighting him before he harmed himself in moving back down. Because I specifically remember in The Ring Magazine circa 2001 or 2002 Tarver selling autographed drawings depicting Roy to be a chicken and insinuating he was ducking him with the proceeds going to Gerald McClellan. Either way Roy should’ve just retired after he squeaked out the first fight but his pride/ego wouldn’t let him do it. But it seems they’re cool now which is good to see.

18cfa30c78081aee65f3f33891186664--roy-jones-jr-boxing.jpg

Well that’s Roy’s fault for not fighting him before he harmed himself in moving back down. Because I specifically remember in The Ring Magazine circa 2001 or 2002 Tarver selling autographed drawings depicting Roy to be a chicken and insinuating he was ducking him with the proceeds going to Gerald McClellan. Either way Roy should’ve just retired after he squeaked out the first fight but his pride/ego wouldn’t let him do it. But it seems they’re cool now which is good to see.

18cfa30c78081aee65f3f33891186664--roy-jones-jr-boxing.jpg
Roy woulda beat him and glen in one night in his prime

Back