Is anime on the way out?

It fills a niche. Not all animes are as you say, but I can see your point on that. That's partially why I made this thread, because I'm becoming very frustrated with how shallow animes are becoming. The bad stuff has always been there, however every year I could always point to a few new movies and shows which made anime worth while. When I think about it, it was those few good shows that always kept me hanging in there, but I also love Japanese culture, and women, in general so that helps too.

As I said in this last while we went from having some truly original shows to being bombarded with boring high school dramas by the boat load. I think it might have started with Haruhi, kind of an interesting show with a different concept but it seems to the schoolgirl mascot really got out of control after that

All right fine, but you seriously don't watch any Pixar films at all? I mean, they are the highest grossing films pretty much every year for a reason. You're calling a lot of people man-children here. Most people my seem to love them.

My first post was honestly me kidding around but still trying to get my point across, I do watch pixar films and I enjoy manga since I was a kid. I still believe it is childish of me liking the manga I read, because when I analyze it objectively, the plots are very shallow and easily accessible compared to many a great books I've read that can convey a story in a much more fulfilling way than a comic, manga or anime can (eventhough I don't watch anime I read manga and since most Anime is based on manga, deal with it lol).

Pixar films are also another topic and often than not do not fall in line with animes, they usually have morals thrown in and are family movies. Mostly watch em and enjoy em with my lil brother for example. Hoenstly Wall - E is a millions times more deep than Naruto.

The only manga I've read that can rival a good book and aren't childish are the likes of 21st century boys and monster, these series have deep characters imo. But none of you are probably talking about these and haven't encountered a single anime from scratch that is this mature.

But berserk imo is shallow without very deep characters, it's just very violent which in my book does NOT mean grown up. It's just a complete gore fest with plot twists.

I read manga but I atleast know I'm being childish in doing so.

It's a shame that some people are too "manly" to enjoy great movies like Princess Mononoke, Graveyard of the Fireflies, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, etc.

But berserk imo is shallow without very deep characters, it's just very violent which in my book does NOT mean grown up. It's just a complete gore fest with plot twists.

Beserk is comparable to an action or horror movie.

Don't know what is wrong with your brain that when you do something like read Manga you attribute yourself to being childish. Never had that problem and never will.

My first post was honestly me kidding around but still trying to get my point across, I do watch pixar films and I enjoy manga since I was a kid. I still believe it is childish of me liking the manga I read, because when I analyze it objectively, the plots are very shallow and easily accessible compared to many a great books I've read that can convey a story in a much more fulfilling way than a comic, manga or anime can (eventhough I don't watch anime I read manga and since most Anime is based on manga, deal with it lol).

Pixar films are also another topic and often than not do not fall in line with animes, they usually have morals thrown in and are family movies. Mostly watch em and enjoy em with my lil brother for example. Hoenstly Wall - E is a millions times more deep than Naruto.

The only manga I've read that can rival a good book and aren't childish are the likes of 21st century boys and monster, these series have deep characters imo. But none of you are probably talking about these and haven't encountered a single anime from scratch that is this mature.

We mentioned Monster right about your post. Check out the comparison vid showing how Black Swan ripped off Perfect Blue. I can pick out plenty of anime films that are deeper than Pixar films, by comparison I think many pixar films are very over rated. Wall-e isn't one of them and Up isn't either. While not exactly deep Pixar, and every director alive today, wishes they could have made Spirited Away.

If anime was childish we wouldn't have major directors and writers today ripping them off and making movies out of their concepts. Black Swan won awards. Inception's idea for dream manipulation actually came from Paprika.

Last edited:
Monster is still a manga, not an anime first hand. Monster is one of the few mangas I can think of that aren't childish coupled with vinland saga and maybe 6 more. When a medium consists 90% of childish shit. Then I do think I have the right to call it childish and imo it is.

Same goes for anime, no doubt spirited away is great and all, but 90% of the content is childish shit.

Btw I do think the pixar movies are childish as well, don't think I see them as mature as hell or nothin like that lol. I just enjoy them more than most animes.

I find myself watching less and less anime now. It seems like there's this massive over saturation of high school fan service filled genres and less and less good series coming out. Back in 2007 we had the likes of Death Note and Code Geas coming out. In 2012 the best thing was probably Highschool of the Dead, something which sums up what happened to the genre as a whole, but in a funny way.

I don't think I'm alone on this thinking something is wrong. Anime companies have been shutting down one after the other and I understand the industry in Japan had to request a grant from the government. The greats are retiring, sadly we lost Satoshi Kon to cancer, Miyazaki retired. These can only be considered a huge loss to the industry especially since no one is stepping up to replace them.

The new Ghibli is rubbish, Earthsea was rubbish and that Borrower's copy cat was lame. Ponyo was superb but only because Miyazaki came back for one more shot. There's this horrible over saturation of the industry taking place with endless highschool dramas and movie spinoffs of TV series taking over anything. That's kind of always been there but it seems like these problems have multiplied drastically. At least a few years ago there'd be some excellent movies mixed in. I haven't seen an anime movie that's been "up there" in a good while. Everything is just a quick cash and grab for these companies nowdays. The anime industry is running out of great innovators and now the shlock is rising to the top taking over everything.

The fuck?

The fuck?

I explained that already. It was a corny guilty pleasure anime about zombies, and it was different too. That's how low the standard for anime has fallen. I watch out for new series all the time and the only thing to come on my radar was a zombie flick. If you can name some top quality anime movies or series in 2012 I'm all ears. IMO I'm not into the Naruto, Bleach or basically any spin off ova from a series.

I did start watching this other one the other night just since I heard it was good. I forget the name but it's a new one about people who get imprisoned in this online virtual MMO. The creator of the game locked them inside. If they remove their helmets they die. If they die in the game they die for good. I'm not really sure what I think of it right now. It seems to be going the way of most animes but I'm only in the fifth episode.

Last edited:

This is just about the worst argument I've ever read. I'ts riddled with fallacious reasoning.

Okay, so, we need to find examples of "mature" anime? Would you be willing to take recommendations?

I explained that already. It was a corny guilty pleasure anime about zombies, and it was different too. That's how low the standard for anime has fallen. I watch out for new series all the time and the only thing to come on my radar was a zombie flick.

I did start watching this other one the other night just since I heard it was good. I forget the name but it's a new one about people who get imprisoned in this online virtual MMO. The creator of the game locked them inside. If they remove their helmets they die. If they die in the game they die for good. I'm not really sure what I think of it right now. It seems to be going the way of most animes but I'm only in the fifth episode.

Sword Art Online. Please stop watching that at once. It's one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Come stop by the anime and manga thread for some real anime(including stuff that came out this year).

This is just about the worst argument I've ever read. I'ts riddled with fallacious reasoning.

Okay, so, we need to find examples of "mature" anime? Would you be willing to take recommendations?

No, now fuck off.

No, now fuck off.

Dude, you're claiming Pixar to not be in the same vain because it teaches some sort of deep moral lesson? You're comparing it to NARUTO of all things? Come on dude, you're not making any sense.

Mature manga and anime? Jesus Christ, Woodkid. Apparently you think Shonen Jump produces all the manga out now and day. Manga isn't just Naruto/One Piece/Bleach, and even those manga get real as fuck sometimes.

Dude, you're claiming Pixar to not be in the same vain because it teaches some sort of deep moral lesson? You're comparing it to NARUTO of all things? Come on dude, you're not making any sense.

I'm making three senses bruv

Still you know it yourself, cartoons are childish.

What's the difference between Manga and Anime?? Honestly haven't watched those kinda shows in almost 10 years and have no clue.

What's the difference between Manga and Anime?? Honestly haven't watched those kinda shows in almost 10 years and have no clue.

Manga is drawn(like a comic) anime is just a cartoon(often times adaptions of the mangas).

Mature manga and anime? Jesus Christ, Woodkid. Apparently you think Shonen Jump produces all the manga out now and day. Manga isn't just Naruto/One Piece/Bleach, and even those manga get real as fuck sometimes.

A lot of the "mature" manga some people claim are to me very shallow and quite childish.

Is Ash still 10?

He takes anti aging hormones, poor fucker is around 20 years old and not a pube hair to show for it.

Sword Art Online. Please stop watching that at once. It's one of the biggest disappointments of the year. Come stop by the anime and manga thread for some real anime(including stuff that came out this year).

I was looking for a reason to stop so I might just heed the warning. Japanese need to learn that if they want to depict a real online community they need to lose the stereotypically beautiful blue haired men. I mean seriously why the hell would these human Adonai be playing a game like that in the first place?

Back