Is anime on the way out?

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I find myself watching less and less anime now. It seems like there's this massive over saturation of high school fan service filled genres and less and less good series coming out. Back in 2007 we had the likes of Death Note and Code Geas coming out. In 2012 the best thing was probably Highschool of the Dead, something which sums up what happened to the genre as a whole, but in a funny way. And I mean that, I didn't find anything better in 2012 than a zombie spoof.

I don't think I'm alone on this thinking something is wrong. Anime companies have been shutting down one after the other and I understand the industry in Japan had to request a grant from the government. The greats are retiring, sadly we lost Satoshi Kon to cancer, Miyazaki retired. These can only be considered a huge loss to the industry especially since no one is stepping up to replace them.

The new Ghibli is rubbish, Earthsea was rubbish and that Borrower's copy cat was lame. Ponyo was superb but only because Miyazaki came back for one more shot. There's this horrible over saturation of the industry taking place with endless highschool dramas and movie spinoffs of TV series taking over anything. That's kind of always been there but it seems like these problems have multiplied drastically. At least a few years ago there'd be some excellent movies mixed in. I haven't seen an anime movie that's been "up there" in a good while. Everything is just a quick cash and grab for these companies nowdays. The anime industry is running out of great innovators and now the shlock is rising to the top taking over everything.

Last edited:
Is there anything out there on par with Death Note? I loved that series.

Pokemon is still going strong! The only legit anime imo

I find it mind-blowing that you're citing Death Note and Code:Geass as good (if not the best) recent anime series. It's absolutely indicative, bro. :cool:

wtf highschool of the dead was one of the worst things coming out in 2012.

Is there anything out there on par with Death Note? I loved that series.

In my opinion, Code Geass, at least the first season, is the only thing really on par with Death Note.

wtf highschool of the dead was one of the worst things coming out in 2012.

It was a so bad it's good show. It was a zombie spoof based in the familiar anime universe. Just a guilty pleasure and nothing more. However that's the problem, because I can't think of a single series in 2012 that was better. I can't think of a better anime than some ridiculous zombie spoof.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks.

I read a review where it was described as Death Note meets Gundam Wing, with Light as the protagonist, and Quatra from Gundam as the antagonist, and I think that's a pretty good description of the series in a nutshell. The animation style does take a bit getting used too though.

It was a so bad it's good show. It was a zombie spoof based in the familiar anime universe. Just a guilty pleasure and nothing more. However that's the problem, because I can't think of a single series in 2012 that was better. I can't think of a better anime than some ridiculous zombie spoof.

it is basically a zombie hentai.

might check out the anime and manga thread here. i mostly read manga but from the anime that was released this year Psycho Pass , Kuroko No Basuke, K project, Btooom, Fate/Zero 2. season, Magi , ... ( just to name a few ) are all better then HOTD.

Last edited:
Word is a new dragonball series is coming out :D

edit: also you should check out Hajime No Ippo one of the best anime I have watched

I hope so lol. I cant stay focus on those story lines..well except boondocks...thats this one count though.

Word is a new dragonball series is coming out :D

edit: also you should check out Hajime No Ippo one of the best anime I have watched

Look at my sig. It's my fav anime series but it's not new. I'm not sure something like that can be recreated with today's writers.

idk according to my research anime is the fastest growing sport in india

Grow up u men children and stop watching cartoons.

Watch band of brothers and grow a pair.

Anime is bigger than ever. Almost every kid that watched Pokemon back then are now grown adults and a lot of them have continued to watch anime.

Look at my sig. It's my fav anime series but it's not new. I'm not sure something like that can be recreated with today's writers.

....Excuse me? I think my mind just collapsed from this post.

Are you trying to imply that Anime is not correlated to Manga? As though the people who script/write Anime are not basing their work off the Manga? Have you even read HnI? Of course they couldn't replicate the early goings of the series because HnI has turned into fucking Dragon Ball Z. I bet you all started watching Anime due to the Adult Swim line-ups, bro. :cool:

Back