Is Anderson like BJ Penn?

Salted

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They obviously have their differences but think about it. Both guys were bosses of their division, so much so that they moved up on multiple occasions. Supremely talented, but maybe overly reliant on talent alone (not calling out anderson on anything, but he could certainly throw some strategy into his game). They end up losing to young fighters in thier own weight class , one's with a wrestling base, and get suprising beat in the stand up. Immediate rematches are made; BJ lost the second fight more convincingly than the first and he was never the same fighter. Is that the fate of Anderson as well?

There is another aspect of their similarities, one that somewhat contradicts what I just said. Often BJ and Anderson are talked about in terms of talent, but truthfully, they might be some of the most athletically gifted fighters as well. It's interesting that despite their success you can still have people nit picking their game, and questioning their motivation/ work ethic. Maybe it's their attitudes, but its sometimes bizarre how often the mental game of these guys is questioned.

Yes, they are both mixed martial artists who held belts in the UFC.

If BJ Penn trained as hard as and took the sport as seriously as Anderson Silva he would be mentioned right up there with Fedor and Anderson

Stopped reading at "Anderson could throw some strategy into is game".

Their fanbases are similar.

Other than that they couldn't possibly be more unalike.

Yes, they are both mixed martial artists who held belts in the UFC.
Har Har. WEll yeah, you can make a case for most fighters I guess, but I think there are interesting correlations here. It might be just that they both come from an old school MMA era. Fighting on instincts, emotions and creativity over the modern model of game planning, head coaches etc

If you think Anderson doesn't work hard in the gym, you're a really big fool.

BJ Penn was born rich, he never needed MMA to live... Anderson was born very poor and MMA kinda saved his life.

BJ would've fought Bones.

And yes, Anderson will lose the second fight more convincingly than the first.

Both have alter egos their nuthuggers invented to explain their recent failures:

Motivated BJ Penn
Clowning AS

Stopped reading at "Anderson could throw some strategy into is game".
you did? Since when is Anderson known as a tactician? I find that Silva relies on reading his opponent more than anything, and his fights are based on instinct. Now obviously he trains TD vs a wrestler, but more often than not he goes into the fight with a very similar blueprint. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it's been phenomenally successful, but I still stand by that statement.

you did? Since when is Anderson known as a tactician? I find that Silva relies on reading his opponent more than anything, and his fights are based on instinct. Now obviously he trains TD vs a wrestler, but more often than not he goes into the fight with a very similar blueprint. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it's been phenomenally successful, but I still stand by that statement.

A huge part of his game is strategy. He's a counter-striker who avoids the ground like the plague. That is his strategy, and he's adhered to it almost without exception.

A huge part of his game is strategy. He's a counter-striker who avoids the ground like the plague. That is his strategy, and he's adhered to it almost without exception.

Ok sure, that is indeed his strategy, but playing to his strength isn't exactly rocket science. I don't see Silva for instance thinking, "Ill start the fight off throwing leg kicks in the first round, and then go for a TD to throw him off". Again there is no need for him to necessarily do that, perhaps I should have said tactics but he doesn't fit into the strategic fighter mold in my mind. I also think the fact that he said he wouldn't change anything for the rematch says something.

Back