Is Al Iaquinta the reason why Jorge Masvidal moved up to WW?

Tevfik1907

Being P4P No.1 = GOAT Requirement
Banned
Reaction score
Masvidal's fights before losing to Al Iaquinta in UFC;

- Tim Means / LW / UD win
- Michael Chiesa / LW / Submission win
- Rustam Khabilov / LW / UD loss

Then he starts again in UFC LW division;

- Pat Healy / LW / UD win
- Daron Cruickshank / LW / UD win
- James Krause / LW / UD win
- Al Iaquinta / LW / SD loss

All of them in LW division, then he gives up on the UFC LW division?

- Cezar Ferreira / WW / KO win
- Benson Henderson / WW / SD loss
- Lorenz Larkin / WW / SD loss
- Ross Pearson / WW / UD win
- Jake Ellenberger / WW / KO win
- Donald Cerrone / WW / KO win
- Demian Maia / WW / SD loss
- Stephen Thompson / WW / UD loss
- Darren Till / WW / KO win
- Ben Askren / WW / KO win
- Nate Diaz / WW / Doctor's stoppage win
- Kamaru Usman / WW / UD loss

I don't know did he fight at WW before UFC or not, but it's interesting that he never fight in LW division after that lost, we know Cerrone switched divisions between LW and WW, but Masvidal never did that after Al Iaquinta fight.

I think that because of the cut he had to conserve energy too much at LW which lead to him losing those splits. At WW he has a better gas tank and can go for the finish more.

The advantage he thought he gained by losing the weight translated in him having less power and dragging to decisions. That Al fight seemed the right kind of encouragement to just trust his power at WW. His proto-resurgence.

There are a lot of reasons.

But anyone who says that Mas vs Iaquinta was the correct decision is a dumbass.

i think he moved up in weight cus he just started getting bigger and wanted to stay comfy and not cut back down. why bother cut when u can be successful where ur comfy

He fought against Daley at WW
Other than that it was primarily at LW

There are a lot of reasons.

But anyone who says that Mas vs Iaquinta was the correct decision is a dumbass.

definitely not scared of Al he pretty clearly should have won that fight and would beat him now

I think that because of the cut he had to conserve energy too much at LW which lead to him losing those splits. At WW he has a better gas tank and can go for the finish more.
What does the weight cut have to do with judges that don't know how to score the Iaquinta fight? Masvidal won that fight, it was an easy 29-28.

Aside from the cut getting too big to make, how he got robbed against Iaquinta was probably the final straw. He probably was like fuck it after, because he had to start over once again regardless if he stayed at 155.

Back