Is AEW worth watching?

scorpiorising

The world eater
@Brown
Reaction score
Old school fan. Loved the WWF in the late 80s/early 90s. Really enjoyed WCW until it's collapse. I went to New Japan Pro Wrestling a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Had some guy Jon Moxley who seemed to be quite popular and was a good wrestler.

Can't get into new WWE at all. It's just strictly big guys who can't wrestle very much (from my VERY limited watching)

Whats AEW like and what's the best way to watch without having cable TV? Any fighters I should specifically look out for?

Yes. It's worth watching.

The women's wrestling on the product is inferior to WWE's though. The presentation is better. You can find illegal streams out there lol. That's what I do to watch it.

I think Kenny Omega is the best wrestler in the world. Every match he's involved in usually gets a huge reaction.

Be aware that it’s an indie show with a billionaire budget. So if you don’t like many false finishes, lot of high flying, limited ring psychology, goofy gimmicks and rough around the edges production… You may not like it it.

But if you don’t like the super micro managed production, bouncy/zoomy/cutting camera work, scripted promos, 1000 roll up finishes, angles written by people that can’t differentiate a wristwatch and a wrist lock, 50/50 weekly booking and Goldberg returns, then you should give it a shot.

The owner of AEW is in his late 30s, so he grew up with the Attitude Era and the freedom that wrestlers had back then. Also why AEW has a lot more blood, swearing, middle fingers, etc.

Give it a shot, it's not for everyone, but it rejuvenated the love of wrestling in my circle of friends and my wife as well.

It's definitely not perfect. I don't think you can really go into it expecting to get the feeling of watching it as a kid or watching it at its peak in the 90s. It's not that good and I dunno if any promotion will capture that again.

In my opinion though it's the best wrestling show around at the moment. They have a lot of long term booking and they seem to take great care in crafting storylines, even down to small details. Not just in their title picture either, it seems to be throughout the card even if their feuds aren't always home runs.

If you also like different styles of pro wrestling, then I think they do well of covering their bases. Great Lucha style stuff with guys like Rey Fenix, they usually deliver with their gimmick matches like the ones last month (just ignore the exploding barbed wire deathmatch lol), and they have good promo guys like MJF and Eddie Kingston.

If you don't have cable then a way to watch would be Fite.tv. This would require you having a VPN though and paying $4.99 a month. You get to see all the action throughout the commercial breaks that you wouldn't normally see on TV though.

If you like smaller more mobile guys then Darby Allin is one to watch. He's got a great character, always puts on good matches, and possibly has an upcoming match next week against a returning CM Punk.

Hmmm seems a bit more up my alley than any of the other stuff out there right now.

I see there's Dynamite and Rampage shows. Is one particularly different than the other?

Hmmm seems a bit more up my alley than any of the other stuff out there right now.

I see there's Dynamite and Rampage shows. Is one particularly different than the other?
Rampage is a one hour show on Friday. They only just had their first one this week, so don't really know if there's gonna be any major differences.

Old school fan. Loved the WWF in the late 80s/early 90s. Really enjoyed WCW until it's collapse. I went to New Japan Pro Wrestling a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Had some guy Jon Moxley who seemed to be quite popular and was a good wrestler.

Can't get into new WWE at all. It's just strictly big guys who can't wrestle very much (from my VERY limited watching)

Whats AEW like and what's the best way to watch without having cable TV? Any fighters I should specifically look out for?

No. I was a life long fan, grew up watching in the late 80s throughout the 90s and into the mid 2000s, then kind of faded off because WWE was boring. I was hoping AEW would get me back into being a wrestling fan but it's just really low rent, shitty booking indy nonsense.

No. I was a life long fan, grew up watching in the late 80s throughout the 90s and into the mid 2000s, then kind of faded off because WWE was boring. I was hoping AEW would get me back into being a wrestling fan but it's just really low rent, shitty booking indy nonsense.

I don’t understand what the video shows. If I went back a year and a half I could make a 20 min video on botches from any company.

You’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

I don’t understand what the video shows.

Undertrained mudshow indy wrestlers trying to nail moves and spots they have no business trying and injuring themselves and their opponents in the process on national television. This is what the video shows.

BTW, this is AEW's HW champion. This will bring back great memories of the Attitude Era, when Steve Austin wrestled Mick Foley in a thong match, and when the Rock wrestled a 12 year old girl for the HW championship

Undertrained mudshow indy wrestlers trying to nail moves and spots they have no business trying and injuring themselves and their opponents in the process on national television. This is what the video shows.
That's just wrestling in 2021, dude.
You see plenty of that in every fed nowadays, even WWE although they still try to keep a more grounded game.
The punch, punch, punch, kick, off the ropes into lou thesz press is a thing of the past. I know that's a hard pill for you to swallow but kayfabe is dead and people enjoy the athleticism in the ring.

But like I mentioned earlier, AEW is way more on the indie side of things and the TS will just have to see for himself. He might be like me or might be like you, but posting a video of botches shouldn't be the deciding factor.

BTW, this is AEW's HW champion. This will bring back great memories of the Attitude Era, when Steve Austin wrestled Mick Foley in a thong match, and when the Rock wrestled a 12 year old girl for the HW championship

Which of those videos is from AEW?

That's just wrestling in 2021, dude.
You see plenty of that in every fed nowadays, even WWE although they still try to keep a more grounded game.
The punch, punch, punch, kick, off the ropes into lou thesz press is a thing of the past. I know that's a hard pill for you to swallow but kayfabe is dead and people enjoy the athleticism in the ring.

But like I mentioned earlier, AEW is way more on the indie side of things and the TS will just have to see for himself. He might be like me or might be like you, but posting a video of botches shouldn't be the deciding factor.

See that'd make sense if Tony Khan hadn't come out and promised a "sports-based" presentation. AEW marks think it's either video game mudshow wrestling or 50's Lou Thesz style, and there's nothing in between, which is just silly. That's what you call athleticism? A couple of self trained goofs trying to do a high school gymnastics routine? smh

I feel bad for wrestling fans. I tapped out 15 years ago, but those who held on apparently have been fed shit so long they like the taste. They've lost their critical faculties, if they ever had them to begin with. Ya'll should be demanding better.

Which of those videos is from AEW?

Good point. I guess what happens in Japan stays in Japan. All those matches Steve Austin had against blowup dolls over there, when he wrestled some guy in a thong and stuck his hand up his ass, that doesn't count. lol

See that'd make sense if Tony Khan hadn't come out and promised a "sports-based" presentation. AEW marks think it's either video game mudshow wrestling or 50's Lou Thesz style, and there's nothing in between, which is just silly. That's what you call athleticism? A couple of self trained goofs trying to do a high school gymnastics routine? smh

I feel bad for wrestling fans. I tapped out 15 years ago, but those who held on apparently have been fed shit so long they like the taste. They've lost their critical faculties, if they ever had them to begin with. Ya'll should be demanding better.
Imagine not thinking these dudes are athletic. I already mentioned there is very little psychology, you can't get me with your arguments because I've already mentioned their downfalls.

I think most of us that haven't subscribed to Cornette's vitriol are pretty happy with AEW.
It's the perfect counter to WWE shows.

Good point. I guess what happens in Japan stays in Japan. All those matches Steve Austin had against blowup dolls over there, when he wrestled some guy in a thong and stuck his hand up his ass, that doesn't count. lol
So do you think Ibushi is trash too?

You didnt tap out 15 years ago, youre in here every single day talking about wrestling so quit lying, youre just another miserable old man that wants to complain on the internet which is why you obsess over AEW even though you claim not to watch it

You didnt tap out 15 years ago, youre in here every single day talking about wrestling so quit lying, youre just another miserable old man that wants to complain on the internet which is why you obsess over AEW even though you claim not to watch it
<WellThere>

I'm in my mid 30s, I reckon you're probably the same or older.

Since you keep track of my posting you'd know I post about wrestling back in the day when I watched and dump on modern wrestling. I get sent clips all the time by pro wrestling buddies and I still like listening to Jim Cornette dump on AEW.

I just love how sensitive the AEW marks are. If you don't think Kenny and the Young Bucks are God's gift to wrestling, they attack you, which is just hilarious. All I'm saying is ya'll should stop eating shit and demand better.

Back