Is a Kurtka necessary?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by disisiv, Oct 11, 2013.

1. disisiv

disisiv White Belt

Is it necessary to use a sambo kurtka for sambo or are there similar gis that will suffice like a Judo or BJJ gi or other?
    Sorry if this came out as a stupid question but I'm kind of a beginner with this stuff.

And, if anyone knows a website or location in NYC area that sells gis for an affordable price (Hoping to find something around $50 or under), please share.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

I've seen folks use judogi's for sambo. You might want to make sure it's OK with your school/instructor first, though.

Kinji San in Brooklyn manufactures the Ronin brand, which is a pretty solid, no-frills economy gi. They should be fine with letting you try before buying, as their customer service is usually pretty good. Check'em out!
    http://www.kinjisan.com/judo.html

3. disisiv

disisiv White Belt

Thanks, will ask my sambo coach and check out that site. Anyone else?

4. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I used to use a Judo gi for Sambo. The only problem is that there arent many red judo gis if any out there. When I did sambo we had to have both a red and blue outfit.