Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Is a 3rd Party vote a wasted vote?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by jerzey devil, Jan 27, 2020.

1. jerzey devil Jerzey-Duz-It

A restaurant, because the customer is always right
    Not a War Room regular obviously. I’m just curious why people think a 3rd Party vote is a wasted vote.

Personally I think the two party system causes too big of a divide in the people and they both seem to lean too far in one direction.

At this point it’s pretty clear that a 3rd Party has no chance to win for the foreseeable future but if people who believe in a 3rd Party continue to vote Democrat or Republican they will never grow big enough to become a real threat.

If you believe in a 3rd Party or even believe that the the two party system is failing us then isn’t it hypocritical to vote Democrat or Republican? And don’t you think it’s your duty to vote how you actually feel?

I ask this as someone who hasn’t voted in almost 20 years but is starting to feel guilty. I won’t vote Republican or Democrat anymore so you can see my vote as wasted either way but no 3rd Party will have a chance to grow if I continue to sit on the sidelines. I should point out that I support whoever the president is because I want the country to succeed but I don’t vote for them.

2. Sycho Sid Master of the world and the universe

At the presidential level? Almost completely

If you want more 3rd party involvement, start voting in local elections and get 3rd party candidates there. Build from the ground up, not the top down

3. Social Distance Warrior Yellow Card Yellow Card

No.

The two party hegemony must be challenged every step of the way

4. VivaRevolution Banned Banned

Only if it is a vote for Bloomberg.

5. all caps Gold Belt

Is a vote a wasted vote?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. VivaRevolution Banned Banned

For a more serious response, I will say it depends who you ask.

If you ask the media who is beholden to the party's for access, then yes.

If you ask our founding fathers who were very concerned about our current reality ever coming to be, I think they would tell you it is your patriotic duty to vote 3rd party these days.

If the whole system wasn't so rigged against a 3rd party candidate, I believe Bernie Sanders who I support would run as a 3rd party candidate.

7. 7437 Banned Banned

Depends where you live

8. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

Not at all, a 3rd party certainly can't win yet, but there's ground work to be made with voting for them now to possibly open up the door to a 3rd party president in the future

If a 3rd party candidate gets 5% of the national vote in an election, they become eligible for public funds for the next year's cycle which is huge.

To qualify for the official national debates, a candidate need to poll at 15%. Having those public funds to seriously up their campaign could give a chance at polling 15% before the election.

Once a 3rd party candidate can crack the big dog debates, that then opens up a chance for them to win.

So, voting 3rd right now can definitely set the ball rolling. If that 5% can be achieved, that's the first major domino.

9. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Third parties are almost always more extreme than either of the parties that are trying to cater to large bases. That's usually the point. If you're an ideological extremist or a a single-issue voter on a topic that most people don't care about, the very large differences between the two parties seem smaller to you.

The problem is that relative to voting for the potentially winning candidate that you prefer, voting third party helps get the option you don't want.

10. bobgeese Gold Belt

Absolutely.

11. OverCoronavirus Pressure Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit. Banned

5/7/89 Grateful Dead show, Frost amphitheatre
    Thanks for not starting the thread in Mayberry.

I would say that until a viable third party appears, then that vote is well-meaning, if not wasted. Third party voters think everyone else's vote is wasted and that's the only way to a strong third party.

12. cincymma79 Gold Belt

horse shit

voting third party takes votes away from the parties. The loser will have to court those voters next time to get elected. Doing what you’re told keeps the game the same. Trump getting elected opens the door for future people to come from outside and win. now we just need someone better.

13. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

FYI, Trump is a Republican. And if you just mean that we want inexperienced people, I'd think that Trump's presidency is the strongest evidence we've yet had that experience is important.

14. Trotsky Banned Banned

Absolutely not, depending on the circumstance.

I tend to see votes in terms of maximizing value. If you are voting in a state that is indisputably going to go to one of the major parties, there might be greater value in voting third party to try to incentivize one or both of the parties to move toward them in terms of policy or to help that third party reach an electoral threshold so as to gain greater ballot and/or debate stage access.

If your only consideration in casting a vote is the eventual winner of the race in which the vote is cast, then yes it's a "wasted vote" to vote for any candidate that doesn't have a realistic chance. But I think that's a pretty myopic view.

15. HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

at the state level, no

at the Federal level? yes

16. MilesAbove Gold Belt

As wasted as Republican votes in California.

17. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

No. Every vote impacts the outcome because it's not just a vote for someone, it's the denial of a vote for someone else.

18. Sketch (҂`_´) <,︻╦╤─ ҉ - - -LoungeK Double Yellow Card

3rd party is great, and If Biden gets the nomination instead of Bernie I strongly encourage Democrats to vote 3rd party if they feel like it.

19. luckyshot The ONLY iPotWR Platinum Member

Yes.

From a mathematical point of view, a third party vote is simply a vote for the major party candidate who is (probably) the most ideologically opposed to the candidate you are supporting.

So in 2016, a vote for Gary Johnson was effectively a vote for Hillary Clinton, and a vote for Jill Stein was effectively a vote for Donald Trump.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  20. Javelina Red Belt

sadly, i put slick willy in office by voting for ross perot