Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Might have to transgender yourself and join WMMA

most guys your age just buy a sports car, you're not to old to train, your delusional if you think you'll be on a card of even a semi legit outfit.

The training is very good to get/stay in shape and very interesting since you are also learning things.
Amateur/interclub fights don't require THAT much of you and usually take place with protective equipment (although i am starting to doubt it is the same in the US as it is where i live). If you reach a point in your training (assuming you start training) that you can spar even moderately hard, then a fight of this level isn't beyond your skill and capability, assuming you will be paired with someone of similar experience.
If you go the grappling route it is even better since grappling can be practiced hard for a longer period of time and there are Masters divisions in tournaments for older guys, if they don't want to compete with younger people.

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
You can compete as an amateur after training a few years. Get started and see how you can commit to it. It’s fine to have a goal to fight but you’re a long way from that.

no

mma doesn't require much skills

You can hit the amateur circuit. You could fight “pro” at Wild Bills for like $500 if you put a few good years in of training and have some talent. High level pro though? No it’s too late. Number one, shit like your knees and shoulders will start tearing and you’ll have major injury problems. UFC fighters only in their late 20’s and early thirties start dealing with those problems already. And you think you’d be fighting at 170? Haha. Nope, you’re a 155er in today’s pro mma game. And it becomes very difficult cutting that type of weight at 45 years old, which is how old you’d be when you actually start getting good, if you’re training full time. And you might feel good at 40 but 45 is whole different ball game. You’d need more recovery time between session than the younger guys, which means less time to learn. And at 40 you prob have full time job and fam and can’t even train full time. A lot of these guys like Stipe who have a full time job and train part time already had years of wrestling and boxing experience.

A bigger question is why would you really want to get into today’s pro mma? Only the very few top level guys make good money. The rest sometimes spend more on their training camps and bills than they actually make fighting. And the UFC treats most of their fighters like shit. Do you really want to work for Dana White who wants to control your whole career and if you disagree with something he starts snubbing your opportunities and publicly throws you under the bus? Do you really want all these trolls talking shit to you on social media about how boring your fight was or how you ducked another fighter, or how you’re probably on steroids? Do you want to go to the hospital from serious complications during a bad weight cut? Have you ever heard of CTE?
Better to get into today’s mma than yesterday’s mma.

But imagine a 40 year old asking if they should get into basketball. Or football. Would you be advising them on whether they would want to work for Mark Cuban or jerry Jones? Giving a serious answer?

You could always try amateur I guess....

If you have no martial background, are 40 years of age, etc, you're likely not going to get very far.

Never too old to start training. You can compete as long as you’re competing with people in your age group and experience. It’d be a nice hobby—definitely don’t go thinking it will be a serious career for you at your age. Don’t let these degenerates discourage—get off your ass and go train.

Not too old to train for fun. I started in my 30s and that was way too late. You will be sore all the time at first, but you’ll get used to it. You’ll get hurt and have to sit out from time to time.

I was at a regional mma event recently and there were a couple dudes clearly well into their 40’s competing.

I think training, and actually getting to a point where you can compete in smokers/amateur matches? Yeah you could do that within a year of training and with the right (or wrong, ha) coach.

But to actually be any good? Prolly not.

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
You probably shouldnt be thinking about competing on any level until you've been in a gym training for months.

If you're athletic and get on some good PEDs, and only fight on the ammy circuit yes you can still do it. I'm being serious too. Nothing wrong with some gear to turn back the clock. You just need some fundamentals and not to fight to high of competition level. You can do it if you train properly. 40 isn't that old for the minor leagues if you catch on decently.

Ive seen plenty of guys over 40 kick some major ass on the small shows. You don't have to have a ton of experience, just competent and in shape. Go for it and fuck all these haters. My last fight was at almost 34 and I won easily. You still have your power
You’re a scum bag. Encouraging cheating to have an advantage over regular people who wouldn’t be cheating. Actually so pathetic. People who liked your comment are pathetic losers too

I wrestled, boxed and did TKD up until I was about 25. Went back to try out BJJ when I was 40 and it was fucking brutal. Like others have said, training sure. Actually competing with the young dudes, not a chance.

Everyone is different. One man's 40 is the same as another man's 25 - and vice versa. A lot depends on your mentality and how well you look after yourself.

One thing I will say is, if you do want to compete in combat sports into your 40s, you need to be prepared to be the hardest working person in the gym.

Have you ever been to a pro level fight? Even a regional show?
I got my purple belt (BJJ) and had been training karate and MT for about 18 months. I had seen a bunch of events on tv.

I considered trying it until I went to watch my HC fight. I was cage side. He knocked a kid out it with a right high kick. It was so loud and “gross” that I never wanted to do it again.

Call me pussy, but it was so visceral and real, it scared me. You will lose, and it will be violent. Take some time to think about that

I'm 43 in March and have more than 2 decades of experience of martial arts and I wouldn't try my hand at MMA even on a regional scale.

1. Too old
2. I'm arthritic
3. I have never practiced bjj

Depends on how much $$ you want to spend on gear?? I think with the proper amount of tainted supplements mixed with some horse meat and knock off dick pills you could probably be a UFC *interim* Champ in a couple years.

Mainly because by that time im pretty aure they will be selling interim titles at the concession stands.

I'm 43 in March and have more than 2 decades of experience of martial arts and I wouldn't try my hand at MMA even on a regional scale.

1. Too old
2. I'm arthritic
3. I have never practiced bjj

But are you athletic? Whats your fast twitch to slow twitch muslce fiber ratio??

Training and sparring will be fine just know your limits
There’s a few older thicc boys that train at the gym I go to and they seem to enjoy it

Back