Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
I think lots of guys embark on such a journey. Are you goin to make headlines and impress sherdoggers? No probably not, but can you be much better than you are now, and enjoy the experience and grow as a person? Of course you can.

CM punk is 40 y/o, trained may have trained for a few weeks/months and he did well against a professional fighter.

most would not admit it anyway, since WWE >>>> UFC lol

You could have a few fights for sure, there are some absolute bums on the local scene. Fight them. See just how far you can get.

giphy.gif

Don’t let these cowards discourage you. You will not live in shame like them.

Old fart detected.

He could fight as an amateur, no one would have a problem. But thinking that he could make it to UFC for example is retarded.

oh be quiet young boy, show some respect in life for people older than you, you could learn a thing or two when you aren´t busy being young and ignorant but then again judging by who you chose to have in your av. as your idol, we have nothing more to talk about.

Do your parents proud and learn some manners, decency and how to act, because Ive seen your posts and youve always struck me as an immature brat. Ignored.

Nah dude, it's never too late

You could be the next Randy Couture

It depends. If you’ve followed a healthy routine all the way you definitely have a good chance. I’d say you can fight for 5 years. Train 4 months of MMA full time, get an amateur fight. If you feel good during your preparation, you definitely have a chance to do well.
Edit: There is a russian fighter Marat Balaev. Just read his story. You’ll like it.

If you're smart with your training and reallistic about your expectations, of course you could !!
I've had 2 pro fight (1-1, only the one win on fight finders). the 1st one, I was 36 and 37 for the 2nd... almost had one more last year but had to cancel, and I hope to fight at least once more.
I'm 40 now, so obviously, I'm not looking for a career... It's all about having fun, enjoying the journey, exploring your feeling, facing your fears, being a war god for a few minutes ...
just do it !! do it !! do it !

CM punk is 40 y/o, trained may have trained for a few weeks/months and he did well against a professional fighter.

most would not admit it anyway, since WWE >>>> UFC lol
Cm pink and mike Johnson are bumbs.... but I'll give them credit for fighting in the cage.

I've seen 50 year old overweight guys in BJJ classes having fun and getting a good workout

maybe the gym is not as badass as yours

He clearly does not train.....

Regionals. The age alone would keep the UFC from signing you, but you could have some fun years on the regional scene.

training? no of course not
competing? yes of course

There are levels to competetion man...... there are compa that cater to amatuers old and young.

Fuck me some real ignorant people offering useless advise.

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

Just be one of the “bros” that trains 5x/wk at either BJJ or muay thai.
Pick one, don’t do both, not at your age.
You can do BJJ tournaments or do muay thai smokers against guys in the area every couple months.

Even doing one of those 5x /wk plus a little weights on the side, is absolutely exhausting.

There are levels to competetion man...... there are compa that cater to amatuers old and young.

Fuck training, it's overrated.

Compete or die

Don't listen to what any of these other motherfuckers say.

Stand and Bang. If you really want to go Pro your window is going to be small. You aren't going to be putting on any clinics in there with no experience. Find literally any gym or club that will teach you the basics of striking with your hands and feet, find whatever your 1 or 2 power shots will be, start running (cardio) and start getting used to the idea that you're likely going to leave a piece of yourself (brain damage) every time you fight.

Bite down on your mouthpiece and get in there and start throwing bombs. It's the only way you're going Pro at this age. Don't bother investing time and money into coaches and classes and all of this bullshit. If you're willing to get hit and can deliver hits back you'll have at least a chance at getting noticed. Do yourself a favor and start learning the ins and outs of doping now. I'm not joking.

You have a chance but it really depends on how bad you want it.

ignorant?!? please. it's great advice for at least 97% of the people out there. I'm a 42 year old 2 stripe brown belt who's been training jiu jitsu for 10 years and trained various other kinds of martial arts. to begin training at age 40 is great. highly recommended. to compete in MIXED MARTIAL ARTS at age 40? don't do it unless you're part of that top 3%.

ignorant?!? please. it's great advice for at least 97% of the people out there. I'm a 42 year old 2 stripe brown belt who's been training jiu jitsu for 10 years and trained various other kinds of martial arts. to begin training at age 40 is great. highly recommended. to compete in MIXED MARTIAL ARTS at age 40? don't do it unless you're part of that top 3%.

You are a pussy then know alot of older dudes 40+ that train and compete in MMA alot of them jumping feet first into it without any prior training.

At high level probably not but normal level MMA you can do it. No matter if UFC is the last fashion even professionals are not perfect. A guy said K1 was lower levels but in some parts MMA is.

Back