Is 35 old for muay thai?

tasticles

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So if someone is in good physical condition and had prior boxing fights, would you think they can still be successful trying to come into a new combat sport?

If you weigh more than 80kg its not too late to become world champ :D

If you want to have a few fights 35 is not too old, however you're not gonna go anywhere near the top level of MT at that age. To be realistic in MT you have little chance of reaching the very top unless you started as a kid / teenager.

If you look at some of the best farangs (foreigner fighters) like Fabio Pinca, Youssef Boughanem, etc. they all started in their early teenage years.

As long as you know you're not going to make a career out of it and you just want some fights for fun 35 is not too old.

Unless you are a heavyweight, I highly doubt you will have much success.

I’m 42 and just had my first fight so def not to old . 35 is still pretty good to go side to side with the 20’s guys

Not even close to being too old, on the other hand, if you're daydreaming about becoming some sort of Champion, {<hhh]

Even world class boxers could not succesfully transfer to muay thai at that age. But on a local level, you might he succesful.

So if someone is in good physical condition and had prior boxing fights, would you think they can still be successful trying to come into a new combat sport?
To echo what the other guys say, at that age you are not too old to start and boxing may help or hinder according to transition IQ. The heavier you are, the better chance you will have to succeed. There is a reason that Muay Thai rarely has genuine HW fighters. A very poor pool of fighters.
If you said K1 then your heavy class chances increase and boxing becomes more apparent.

If you used to be a boxer, not. My background is in amateur boxing.

Even world class boxers could not succesfully transfer to muay thai at that age. But on a local level, you might he succesful.
I dunno dude, I would take Wilder with a few months of leg kick defense over that Panda Bear guy who seems to be the king of HW muay lol

I dunno dude, I would take Wilder with a few months of leg kick defense over that Panda Bear guy who seems to be the king of HW muay lol
Lol yeah, i was just talking about competitive divisions

If you are feeling young and you're also not a desillusionist ...! Let it go.

I'm 32 and done with hard contact muay thai sparring. Last time I got swept a few bunch and it really messed my neck up for awhile.

As far as light sparring, pad drills or any kind of activity is fine as long as you have the strength and flexibility.

Not as old as compared to relative boxing years but still old

no, you will be fine. 35 is not old.

We got guy thats 67 and trains also female that is 62

Considering there are high level athletes in MMA, MT, Boxing and so on who are in their late 30's / early 40's (and even some older), you'll be fine for a few amateur fights.

Back