Ironically the thing that initially started the whole Jones DC Beef was Jones...

i was under the assumption for something to be counted as a takedown you have to establish yourself in some recognizable position and not still be included in the scramble.

I think it's as simple as putting a guy from standing to on the floor.

Otherwise it gets too nitpicky and, for me anyways, inaccurate.

The gif clearly shows that Jones didnt actually grab the cage. He instinctively reached for it like most everyone does. If you have ever trained you know this. He stopped himself form doing it though.

Because Herb Dean yelled at him when he reached for it. It was pretty loud and clear on the broadcast.

It was a grueling fight and came down to stamina in the end. I don't think they like each other but if they fought 5 times it would still be very close. JBJ had a better plan and DC looked gone after 3 but still got a takedown in the end for possible future reference if they fight again. :icon_lol:

Hmm, that's kind of a weird thing to say to someone on an internet forum. Do you personally know that guy? How do you know he'd be "wetting his pants"? I mean, maybe he would, but how could you have any idea.

I straight up GUARANTEE you that I wouldn't. And having played sports at a pretty high level (relatively speaking, D II college football) and having trained at an MMA gym for almost 4 years in the past with pro fighters I can say that on its face what Jones said initially wasn't a huge deal. Now, not being there and knowing everything about the exact tone, etc. I don't think anyone can say for sure how it went down, but it doesn't sound like a huge deal.

This is the internet. Of course I don't literally mean that the guy would wet his pants, I'm talking sh*t like he was.

But DC took the comment very personally and maybe it only started as a sliver under his skin, but with everything else that went on, combined with his natural competitiveness and wanting to be the champion, is it any wonder such a big beef came from it? Jones is known to feud with guys, he did it with Rashad, Rampage, to a degree with Gus, and now with DC. But DC is the one who is wrong?

In my head Cormier responded with "You think I'm just going to let you take me down, Jon?".

When a hitter goes up to a strike out pitcher and says, "hey, I bet i can hit your 98 mph fastball"....does the the pitcher go all rabid dog? When the corner back tells the receiver, "I'm gonna shut you down", does the receiver go rabid dog? When a basketball player says to another, "I bet I can dunk over you"...does the guy get so insulted that it becomes a lifelong issue? Answer? A big NO!

I think Cormier either saw the initial comment as a way to psyche himself up, or sell tickets, but when one fighter meets another fighter and comments that I think I can take you down....I dont see that as the worst insult and disrespect to start all this BS.
Because if Cormier saw that as the worst insult imaginable, he has a lot more to worry about and needs to see a psychologist.

That's not the exact context though.

It's more like a college corner back telling an NFL wide receiver that he's going to shut them down.

Jones and Cormier's wrestling credentials are that far apart.

Now if the college player shuts the NFL player out, well, that's that. And that's exactly what Jones did.

I can definitely see how Cormier would be pissed about that, because who says that to a person when they first meet them? It's kind of a dickish move.

On the other hand, Jones obviously wasn't lying.

And about going all "rabid dog" what about Richard Sherman and Michael Crabtree feud that keeps carrying on?

DCs slam was bizarrely useless and pointless. Guy dedicated majority of the 5th round just to accomplish that takedown and nothing came of it. Instead of fighting to win, he was just fighting to get that 1 takedown before the fight ended.

If I ever meet Jon Jones and the first thing he says to me is "I bet I can kill you" or even something as light as "I bet I can wash the dishes better than you", he may be 100% right, but I'd also be right to perceive him as a bad person. Nothing ironic about it.

If I ever meet Jon Jones and the first thing he says to me is "I bet I can kill you" or even something as light as "I bet I can wash the dishes better than you", he may be 100% right, but I'd also be right to perceive him as a bad person. Nothing ironic about it.

But...that doesn't make sense because you're not a potential challenger to him at fighting. Like others have said, this shit is normal "ribbing" in sports. Guys boast all the time at being able to accomplish something against a potential rival that rarely/never happens. That doesn't make them bad people or bad sports. That's just being competitive.

If Cormier was holding a grudge over an innocuous challenge like that, then he's a child not fit for the big stage. You respond with that statement with "alright dude, let's see if that mouth can cash those checks later" instead of being bitter.

There is nothing ironic about that in any sense of the word.

Stay in school TS.

Man Jones does not have power in his hands.

Cormier let him because he was tired from the wall and stalling.

Jones also grabbed the fence, which helped him get into a better position so that he landed on his side and not his back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back