"Iron Ring" is anti-grappling

I havent watched it yet, but sounds entertaining enough to give it a shot. They're de. not portraying mma in a realistic way tho.

This may be old news, but I'm currently wasting another hour of my life watching BET's "Iron Ring" MMA reality show.

This show is setting the sport back 10 years.

Not to mention setting black people back 300 years.

Some of my favorite quotes from the show include "Send him back to japan", "anything on the ground is intimate", and when that old guy called a fighter the "Mexican Assassin" and he replied "Get that shit right, I'm Puerto Rican and Sicilian"

Iron Ring is anti-intelligence. How Shonie can associate himself with this kind of crap is beyond me. Even Money Mayweather has that "What in God's name did I sign up for?" look on his face.

you know it's bad when you sympathize with Floyd.

Correct. It's not at all about pushing the sport. It's about the producers at BET trying to cash in on the current popularity of MMA.

I feel sorry for the guys that are on this show. They obviously aren't learning anything and are just being used by BET to "cash in" in MMA and the fact that it is growing so fast right now.

Guys with 8th grade educations and felony convictions pretty much run the shows..what do you expect

It is pretty sad. I tried to watch it again last night and got distracted by my bunny (go figure).

The fights don't appear to be sanctioned...nor do the refs....so it has to be somewhere between the rank of amatuer and street fight. The ref hovers over the guys when they clinch or go to the ground, just ready to break it up before any real grappling happens.

This show sucks.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Rashad Khan is a fucking joke and needs to shut the fuck up.

Same thing goes for that Novell guy who was "teaching" all the fighters that hokey "throw a punch and stand there, so that I can trip you" kung-fu bullshit. At least, they panned the camera around the room to show all the fighters laughing at him while he was showing them that garbage.

Both of those guys are fucking disgraces and I would pay big money to see them step into a cage / ring to teach them what "all that romancin' on the ground" is all about. Every time a fight hits the ground, one of those idiots makes some stupid comment like that.

Fuck I knew I wasn't the only one pissed when he showed that trash move, That guy is a out of shape that has no idea how to fight.

There is comedy, there is high comedy, and then there is "Iron Ring".

Some of my favorite moments:

Pre-fight one of the "coaches" says to the camera "Why is he doing all stretching and warming up. Man, in a street fight you don't get to warm up"
I believe he was serious not kidding around.

One of the rappers, TI I think, during a selection fight screaming "you can't win a fight from yo back!" to his would-be fighter

Mayweather jawing it up with Shonie... making fun of his clothes, talking smack, etc... and Shonie saying "I'd leg kick the shit of him"... I am praying this will escalate but it's not likely because they haven't been promo-ing any tense scenes between the two

all the scenes of the coaches "training" at their respective gyms... it's mostly video of them doing TMA forms and stuff. All except for Shonie, Mayweather, and some guy who fights MMA and looks like a really good striker I don't remember his name

The fights have been pretty entertaining. Hell it IS MMA so that can't be ALL bad. A lot of explosive fighters with wrestling and striking and a couple of BJJ guys who seem to be winning their fights. I'll keep watching for the comedy and fights.

Pre-fight one of the "coaches" says to the camera "Why is he doing all stretching and warming up. Man, in a street fight you don't get to warm up"

One of the rappers, TI I think, during a selection fight screaming "you can't win a fight from yo back!" to his would-be fighter
Mayweather jawing it up with Shonie... making fun of his clothes, talking smack, etc... and Shonie saying "I'd leg kick the shit of him"... I am praying this will escalate but it's not likely because they haven't been promo-ing any tense scenes between the two

all the scenes of the coaches "training" at their respective gyms... it's mostly video of them doing TMA forms and stuff. All except for Shonie, Mayweather, and some guy who fights MMA and looks like a really good striker I don't remember his name

The fights have been pretty entertaining. Hell it IS MMA so that can't be ALL bad. A lot of explosive fighters with wrestling and striking and a couple of BJJ guys who seem to be winning their fights. I'll keep watching for the comedy and fights.

i have heard many mma fighters, namely jason macdonald say that; he said that is what he learned against okami-an i have heard others say that many times so y get on ti

on episode nine i saw one guy pull out a pretty slick arm triangle sub after being taken down...

but alot of those guys prefer to wrestle and throw hands; not really grapple, get the guy down and pound him out...not sub him.

They actually have rappers as the head of the 6 teams. Ludacris, "T.I." and Lil Jon are three of them. I think Shonie Carter is the only MMA guy heading a team. Floyd Mayweather is another. So, yeah, in one scene the rapper T.I. is preaching to these fighters about how they haven't done anything yet, they can still be cut at any time, etc. These rappers havent' trained 1 day in their life, and are lecturing these fighters? Ludacris is hyping one "fighter" because the guy said "I ain't even a fighter, I'm just trying to get out the hood".

The referee is awful. They stand the fighers up anytime good ground work is in progress. Just awful, horrible show.

BTW, the figthers talent isn't bad. Seem to be decent small show type fighters, not TUF quality, but decent. Just hate that they are getting caught up in such a disaster of a show.

so what fighters comment on sh*t they have never done, acting singing music running a corporation, we all comment on ish we have never done or never done on a high level; i hear fighters who don't play golf saying how easy it is or saying nfl guys have no heart when they never been on the field... Or telling dana how to run the ufc when they have never run or managed a fighter or org in their life.....

that is a tired excuse

I love when they refer to the "streets". They should have done a Kimbo style street fight show rather than a MMA show

It's just a bunch a street fighters.

That's not fair. As bad as the show is, there are some legit lower level fighters competing on it. Also, there are a couple of the coaches that are legit MMA fighters like Shonie and Jermain Andre.

I watch it only because I want to see someone get maimed for life. Seriously, its the worst thing EVER to happen to the sport...and I am including TapOut brand clothing with that.

Well, did you see the guy pull a triangle and get slammed from bad position? That guy landed on the side of his head/neck and never got up. They took him out on a stretcher with a bag on his face. Oh, and the guy that slammed him, again from bad position, dislocated or fractured his shoulder in the process.

Yeah, they're skilled.

The show is confusing as hell, it's poorly done but entertaining nonetheless.

It took these idiots 10 episodes to just get their teams together. The producers should be castrated for not making the fighters the focus of this show. I find the show very disrespectful to the fighters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back