Media Iron Mike Tyson might not stop after RJJ...

???

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...jr-fight-loves-teofimo-lopez-other-stars-2020

Entering the ring again wasn't even a thought for former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson until several propositions hit his radar, 15 years after his last professional bout.

First, there was a proposed MMA fight versus Bob Sapp, then boxing matches against former heavyweight titlist Shannon Briggs and longtime rival Evander Holyfield. Ultimately, his camp decided on an exhibition bout against fellow boxing legend Roy Jones Jr., which will be held on Nov. 28.

But Tyson told ESPN this week it might not be the last time fight fans are able to see the 54-year-old who was once feared as "The Baddest Man on the Planet."

"I don't know. I might do this for a while. Let's check this stuff out," Tyson told ESPN's Peter Rosenberg. "It would be so awesome if we could do this all around the world and fight the best fighter in that country, exhibitions with this guy in that country, exhibitions all over the world. Wouldn't that be great?

His take on the current state of the heavyweight division

Tyson, boxing's youngest heavyweight champion in history, also offered his take on the current stars of his former division, including Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder. Although Tyson has respect for all three, he sees Fury as the top dog.

"I think he's very good," Tyson said of Fury. "He looks like he's not intimidating, but he's really elusive, he really knows how to box, he's really smart and he's really difficult to hit and he's 7-foot, damn near. He's a monster."

Even as Wilder recovers from his one-sided, TKO loss to Fury on Feb. 22, Tyson still praised the former champion and urged him to keep pursuing the trilogy bout.

"When Wilder gets his head out of his butt, he's good. Wilder just gotta stop internalizing stuff, this guy is great," Tyson said. "Just keep on fighting. Fight [Fury] again. Fight him a third time. Whenever you have an opportunity to fight for the title, he should fight. We [as boxers] can only do this for a certain amount of time in our life, and then we can't do it anymore. So we have to do it as much as we can before we end this stuff."

Tyson still sees things Joshua needs sharpen in his skill set.

"I don't think he's a paper champion. I just think he's a big guy -- it's hard to fight being that big," Tyson said of Joshua. "It's very difficult being that big and having to fight a smaller guy ... that guy could learn some more. He could be taught some more stuff."

Thoughts on Teofimo , Davis and Haney

Although the heavyweight division has regained popularity, Tyson is also engaged and entertained by the lightweight class -- which proves to be one of the hottest weight classes in boxing. Like the rest of the world, Tyson wants to see young champions such as Teofimo Lopez, Gervonta Davis and Devin Haney continue to go at it at this stage of their careers and not wait too long.

"Spectacular. He beat the man to beat -- now, he's the man to beat," Tyson said of Lopez. "I think differently than these guys -- these guys think, 'Hey, I want to fight this guy and then I'll fight the other guy two years later.' So, if I'm Lopez right now, right, I've got Loma. I beat him.

"So, now I want to get Gervonta Davis. I want Davis, and I want Shakur [Stevenson], and I want to fight those guys in one year," he added. "I want to fight both those guys this year instead of fighting one guy, then three years later, fight [another] guy if he's still champion. You've got to fight the guys that you know will be hot now."

Only Tyson fights I want to see are freak shows vs guys like Bob Sapp. Nothing serious and nothing dumb like the RJJ sparring session.

Just let him dumpster some freak show wrestlers that are 300lbs.

Well, if he looks good and smashes RJJ, I have no problem with him challenging himself. He looks to be in great shape.

Id say let him keep going depending on how he looks in this fight. Mike is a freak of nature and he seems to be in the right mindset to really make something of this. At the same time hes coming back after 15 years to fight one of the better fighters out there albeit aged.

I know it wasn’t likely at all, but I got hard when there were rumors of him fighting Wandy and Aleks E

Let the man kill anyone he wants in an exibition. Only hope he will not consider dropping the juice and unretire and get into a sanctioned fight after regaining the taste.

more WWE than boxing, nobody will be asking for a rematch

People are going to be so let down when this turns out to be a pitty pat sparring session.
I still think Roy could get sparked out by a light touch, or Tyson may find Roy impossible to hit. Either way, I agree it won't be in a good way or what people are expecting to see.

RJJ is going to embarrass Mike.

50+yo men don't have a chin, Roy still hits hard/crisp enough to sleep a dude in his mid 50's. Sure, Mike can do the same thing, but Roy will land first and cleaner.

Last edited:
What if Mike KOs Tyson? Would this be the greatest come back of all time?

This would be fun.

Idk I feel like Tyson has it but then on Rogan he talked about how they had to shock his muscles to even get out of bed. Maybe all that prison weightlifting wore him down

People are going to be so let down when this turns out to be a pitty pat sparring session.

And let's hope it does, for Christ's sake.

RJJ is going to embarrass Mike.

50+yo men don't have a chin, Roy still hits hard/crisp enough to sleep a dude in his mid 50's. Sure, Mike can do the same thing, but Roy will land first and cleaner.

Lol, considering who they both lost to in the final stages of their career, I think its gonna be hard for either to feel more embarrassed than the other at the conclusion of this. Just drawing an audience and getting a payday at this time in their lives is a win in of itself. Also, it's a sparring session, guaranteed.

Back