Irishman Paul Redmond Signs With UFC, Faces Mirsad Bektic In Sweden

Graemeo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
redser.jpg

Following the signing of Joseph Duffy by the UFC on Wednesday, there was another huge announcement for Irish MMA today as SevereMMA can exclusively reveal that Paul Redmond has also joined his fellow former-Cage Warriors lightweight in signing a contract to fight inside the Octagon. Redmond will step in to replace Alan Omer against Mirsad Bektic at UFC on Fox 14 in Sweden later this month in the first outing of a 4-fight deal. The news was confirmed to SevereMMA’s Peter Carroll by the UFC on Monday afternoon.

Team Ryano’s Redmond is 10-4 in his MMA career and has won 7 of his last 8 fights. The Dubliner is best known for his slick submissions, with the toehold his favourite move, but has added a tight boxing game to his arsenal which he showcased brilliantly against Alexis Savvidis in August of last year.

Against Bektic, though, Redmond will be fighting at featherweight for the first time after plying his trade at lightweight his whole career.

Bektic is one of the top American featherweight prospects in the UFC today. The 23 year-old is undefeated in eight fights having won his UFC debut against Chas Skelly in April of last year. Training out of America top team in Florida, Bektic works out daily with the likes of Will Brooks, Hector Lombard and UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler.

“It’s not just this performance I’ll be looking to make a statement in.” Redmond told SevereMMA in his first interview after signing on the dotted line. “Every time I get in there I’m looking to do that. Don’t get me wrong, I know this is the UFC, I know this is the biggest event in Europe but for me, it doesn’t matter where I’m fighting, I’m always going to go out and try to pull off something spectacular.

MORE >>> http://severemma.com/2015/01/paul-redmond-signs-with-ufc-faces-mirsad-bektic-in-sweden/

Redser's first interview since signing with UFC >> http://severemma.com/2015/01/redser-has-arrived-paul-redmond-reacts-to-ufc-signing/

wir5EGO.gif

He has 3 toe hold submissions in Cage Warriors

Here is a video piece we did on his team "Team Ryano" where his coach Andy Ryan slags him for being a fat skateboarder kid with stupid shoes when he first came to the gym

[YT]OVmGqcYrfSU[/YT]

and some interviews with did with him over the years

[YT]_rbR1S5x5rM[/YT]

[YT]wsOz4oqTJOQ[/YT]

[YT]9X09wjKWrQg[/YT]

[YT]iCo0GsDXQG0[/YT]

[YT]UrY0so4pAXA[/YT]

Good post Graemeo. Enjoyed reading that interview about his signing too, looks like he's in for a tough couple of weeks with that weight cut.

Short notice, bad for Redmond, but at least he is in the UFC.

Nice to see Redser get a shot, hopefully the weight cut goes ok.

[YT]-26qnsXrxOY[/YT]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back