Irish people, how is celebrity sexual assault prosecuted in Ireland?

If the evidence points to him being guilty he'll go to jail, the only thing better than building up a star is tearing one down, and if he's guilty that's exactly what they'll do, and rightly so

Loooooool Berlusconi is a madman.
0_D2_BiCuX4AEKRQF.jpg

On the Conor case, the narrative at the moment is that she got raped, but Conor's involvment is doubtful. He had bought out an entire floor of the hotel, there were literally hundreds of people there, and she was so drunk she doesn't even remember going there. There simply isn't any evidence at the moment to charge Conor with anything.

That's interesting since the Irish mainstream media have reported that the "sports star" has admitted having sex with the woman, the only argument seems to be the consensual angle.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...e-claim-says-sex-was-consensual-37727340.html

In France, Italy & Spain there is rarely more than a slap on the wrist for sexual assault.

What are you talking about?? Sexual assault, specially recently, is very serious in Spain.

That's interesting since the Irish mainstream media have reported that the "sports star" has admitted having sex with the woman, the only argument seems to be the consensual angle.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...e-claim-says-sex-was-consensual-37727340.html

The Irish Independent is not a reliable source on anything. Secondly, even if McGregor admitted having consensual sex with the girl in question at some stage during the night, that doesn't automatically mean it was the same interaction where she got raped.

Not defending McGregor here, just stating why it's not the black and white case Sherdog wants it to be.

Well up north we had the Ulster and Ireland rugby players who were charged with rape. Basically a group of Irish rugby players went to a night club. Girls came back with them and like 3 of them ran a train on her. There were tests were they described what happened. Calling themselves "top shaggers" etc. The public wanted them done. But they were found not guilty. Their clubs mostly sacked them and they went to play in France.

This was last year. Point is even if found not guilty. If this goes to court Conors career and public image is dead

Nonsense, a court appearance doesn’t mean you’re guilty in the real world, the train rolls on unless he’s convicted, and to be clear he hasn’t even been named as a defendant

Like another poster has pointed out, there was a very high profile case of two international rugby players in the news last year. Every nook and cranny of that was made public and the players careers were partially ruined over it despite being acquitted.

Nobody will be able to pay themselves out if a rape charge in Ireland and even if you're not guilty, your reputation will be left in tatters.

Nonsense, a court appearance doesn’t mean you’re guilty in the real world, the train rolls on unless he’s convicted, and to be clear he hasn’t even been named as a defendant

Well it ruined the careers of those Irish rugby players. If Conor goes to court and the details of what happened are put in the spotlight Conor sponsors will drop him like shit regardless of guilt. It happens everywhere. You really think global brands are going to want to be associated or linked with what happened?

Of course it depends on what happens. If the courts find that she is nuts and Conor did nothing then he will be fine. If the courts find that she was brutalized and raped badly by Conor or even his friends Conors stock will plummet. Just like those rugby players who got off because the courts felt there wasn't evidence to say it wasn't consensual. And there's rumours Conor has admitted that he had sex with her but it was consensual... look at all the sports stars who's public image gets ruined by cheating. John Terry, Tiger Woods, Ryan Giggs

I'm Welsh but from what I know hardly ever unless they're worth making an example out of. Which Conor is. These parts were in uproar last year when a rape victim's underwear were paraded in Irish court by the accused defense team, they were lacy thongs, and he was acquitted for it. The victim subsequently killed herself.

Very badly worded post that mishmashes the Scotland case with the northern Ireland case.

wait....so this is complete bullshit?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/02/gender.uk

it says shes dead

See my post above.
This may clarify things a bit better........ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ok-life-rape-trial-appalled-girls-thong-used/

I don't think there is such a thing as celebrity sexual assault

Well it ruined the careers of those Irish rugby players. If Conor goes to court and the details of what happened are put in the spotlight Conor sponsors will drop him like shit regardless of guilt. It happens everywhere. You really think global brands are going to want to be associated or linked with what happened?

Of course it depends on what happens. If the courts find that she is nuts and Conor did nothing then he will be fine. If the courts find that she was brutalized and raped badly by Conor or even his friends Conors stock will plummet. Just like those rugby players who got off because the courts felt there wasn't evidence to say it wasn't consensual. And there's rumours Conor has admitted that he had sex with her but it was consensual... look at all the sports stars who's public image gets ruined by cheating. John Terry, Tiger Woods, Ryan Giggs
I think Conor would survive confirmation of cheating on Dee(he basically already has), it's a not a good look, and I feel for Dee, but he's never claimed be a saint, in fact he's a well known maniac, plus we don't know what their boundaries are, she may have realized early that the best way for them to stay a family is to allow Conor a few free passes, who knows maybe he was told have some fun but when you reach 30, games over, I've heard of similar deals in the past.(i didn't get one:()

If he's convicted of rape that's a completely different story, and he'll become a pariah, rightly so.

Last edited:
In France, Italy & Spain there is rarely more than a slap on the wrist for sexual assault. That's if the charges are even acknowledged at all and if you're somewhat famous you'll likely be unscathed legally.

Italy did nothing to this man and they easily could have if the culture in Italy demanded it but they never did. Yes Berlusconi was a president but when you account for all the allegations against him he is a walking example of a double standard of justice for famous people even if all they talk about is tanning.
giphy.gif

How are politicians/celebrities treated in sexual assault cases in Ireland?

You have to remember in most cases the rich and famous seem to evade prosecution for such crimes. Cosby and Mike Tyson being the only two to receive any sort of punishment

I don't know the details of the case, but is Conor already guilty ? I think there is due process in Ireland right ?

You have to remember in most cases the rich and famous seem to evade prosecution for such crimes. Cosby and Mike Tyson being the only two to receive any sort of punishment
This is undoubtedly true, but at the same time we should recognize that they are also many times more likely to be falsely accused, it's a tricky situation, i'm sure many rich celebs have got away with all sorts, i'm also sure many have been wrongly accused and have made payouts just to avoid the bad PR.

I don't know the details of the case, but is Conor already guilty ? I think there is due process in Ireland right ?
He volunteered himself for questioning, that's all, no charges have been brought.

Back