Ireland's largest selling paper writes scathing article, bashing Conor !

"McGregor appears to be devoid of any kind of moral compass; a trait one usually expects from a successful global athlete of his stature.

Even Roy Keane—another Irish sporting legend with a gigantic ego—at the height of his playing career at Manchester United and for Ireland, had some sense of loyalty or commitment to something greater than just himself and his pay cheque.

McGregor, however, possesses no such qualities. His one true loyalty is to money and material wealth.

Therefore, a sense of tradition, sporting etiquette, or leading by example, never comes into the equation. While foul-mouthed trash-talk in press conferences may be discouraged in most sports, the UFC actively encourages it.

Why? Well, because it creates more publicity and pay-per-view revenue.

McGregor's unsporting antics includes taunting fellow fighters in pre-fight press conferences, to the point of pure obnoxiousness; stealing his opponents' belts, or headbutting them at the weigh-in.

McGregor continually makes references to barbaric acts of violence, such as skull-smashing and face-butchering; he regularly makes death threats to his opponents; he refuses to engage in any form of sporting fair play before fights, seeing such conduct as idiotic; and he can often be found telling his audience, the media, and fellow fighters - with infantile-like-arrogance - to "fuck off".

In other tough sports, such as, say, boxing, GAA, or rugby - which have sporting bodies with proper rules and regulations- respect for the opposition is paramount. But McGregor doesn't get disciplined, or pulled up by the UFC for his outlandish behaviour.

Primarily because the UFC is not really a sporting body as such, but a private enterprise of sorts. McGregor, for instance, often refers to the UFC in casual conversation as "the company"."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma...ing-genius-or-corporate-sellout-34437701.html

My take - damn. Messed up how they seem to be throwing their only export under the bus. I can't stand Conor, but he puts butts in seats and has has backed up up his talk. He's also very close to being a two division champ. I suppose there is a lack of traditional civility in Conor that the Celtic minds in Ireland would like to see. It's almost like many on the upper brow look at him an an embarrassment and a bad representative of Ireland.
Your defence shows that you've completely missed the point.

Last edited:
Boxing noob detected.

"Boxing noob detected" indeed, but I'm thinking its you, bud.

Comparing Conors antics to Ali is the most idiotic thing I've read today.

- Ali's movement transcended Boxing into social and political issues

- Conors gimmick revolves around shouting incoherent rhetoric and a poor attempt at ripping off Mayweathers "money" persona.

The vast majority of Irish view him as trash. (those who actually know who is in the first place)

"Boxing noob detected" indeed, but I'm thinking its you, bud.

Comparing Conors antics to Ali is the most idiotic thing I've read today.

- Ali's movement transcended Boxing into social and political issues

- Conors gimmick revolves around shouting incoherent rhetoric and a poor attempt at ripping off Mayweathers "money" persona.

If there's a boxer you could compare McGregor to its Prince Naz.

The article is right. He is playing the heel, and getting tons of publicity for it. Like him, or hate him, youre still paying attention.

Love him or hate him, Conor put Ireland MMA on the map. They may not like his character, and I don't think anyone would blame them for that, but the good outweighs the bad for them, IMO.

Sure, MMA success and awareness is not some boon of prosperity for a country, but something is better than nothing.

Also, should Conor truly go down as one of the greats, he will mellow out in his old age and probably become a great ambassador for the sport in Ireland.

Well said.

It's highly improbable that one article, among the supposed many, would ruin Conor.
And these kinds of things come with the territory. People will use any avenue to garner attention...

It made it to the Sherdog forums after all. Forgot the writers name though.

I'd love for someone to point out what the writer said that's incorrect.

It might be a hit piece but hes not wrong anywhere.

Ali's movement transcended Boxing into social and political issues

Doesn't mean he gets a pass when he uses childish antics to disrespect his opponent any more than Conor does. I'm talking respect for one's opponent after all, not sociopolitical stance. Plus, if you want to talk about sociopolitical stance, here's Ali being an outright racist compared to his interviewer:

Now that's disrespect of a whole different magnitude. Racism is way worse than materialism.

Its because he is a cunt. Doesnt matter if hes Irish or not, a cunt is a cunt

lol what a sad pathetic journalist.

head clean off.

conor-mcgregor-money.jpg

Love him or hate him, Conor put Ireland MMA on the map. They may not like his character, and I don't think anyone would blame them for that, but the good outweighs the bad for them, IMO.

Sure, MMA success and awareness is not some boon of prosperity for a country, but something is better than nothing.

Also, should Conor truly go down as one of the greats, he will mellow out in his old age and probably become a great ambassador for the sport in Ireland.
I LMFAO from start to finish. The best part: "a great ambassador for the sport in Ireland".

actually, its a pretty good and well written article that is fairly balanced.

TS has cherry picked the bits he wanted to

Uh, didn't McGregor donate 50,000 Eurobux to Irish homeless charities?

Oh yeah, boxing. That great sport which wrote the book on sports corruption and currently has a homophobic, misogynistic heavyweight champ. Oh, he mentions Roy Keane who, correct me if I'm wrong, is an assistant manager for Ireland's national football team? Say Ireland makes it to the World Cup in Qatar, are they going to stand up for what's right and boycott a tournament that will have been built upon the bodies of over 4,000 dead immigrant slaves? He had a bone to pick and he comes off like a hack cunt "journalist."

John Paul O'Malley is a freelance writer/journalist working out of London. Reminds me of the Tipper Gore liberals (PMRC) who tried to censor music.

Meh, Irish people as a whole are very brash and outspoken. Most of that country thinks he's a savior and hero to that country. I'd imagine the writer for that article is probably already hated by the masses there. You know, that one reporter that everyone rolls their eyes at after reading any article he's written. There's always one.

It's ok to not like someone for whatever reason you want. I like humble athletes and enjoy seeing loud mouths getting ktfo. The article wasn't bashing it was expressing a feeling that a fair amount of people agree with.. Personal note.. I enjoy Connor because he is clearly a person selling fights who shows respect when its over, makes no excuses and backs it up..

Ir remember this video where a guy puts Ireland as the country who does the most good for the world.

Given that, it´s understandable that they see Conor as a bad image for the country

Back