International Iran-USA Brinkmanship thread, V2: Step up! Step up! Place your bets!

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Iran says it will respond 'firmly' to US aggression amid retaliatory cyberattack, aborted military strike
"Everybody was saying I’m a warmonger and now they say I’m a dove," he told reporters outside the White House. "And I think I’m neither, if you want to know the truth. I’m a man with common sense, and that’s what we need in this country is common sense.”

He also reached out with something of an olive branch: "If Iran wants to become a wealthy nation again, a prosperous nation again -- we'll call it “Make Iran Great Again” -- that's OK with me."

"But they're never going to do it if they think in five or six years they're going to have a nuclear weapon," he warned...

But while the military air strike was called off, U.S. Cyber Command launched a digital strike against an Iranian spy group on Thursday, Yahoo News reported.

The spy group is close to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, a terrorist-designated entity, and reportedly supported the limpet mine attacks on two oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.

Additional details about the digital response weren’t available, though private American cyber groups have said that Iranian state-sponsored hackers are targeting U.S. organizations, adding Iran’s response against the U.S. will likely be executed in cyberspace.

But the tensions reached a fever pitch in recent weeks after two oil tankers were attacked, supposedly by the Iranian forces as the regime flexes its muscles over tough sanctions that caused its currency to drop by about 60 percent in 12 months while food and drug prices are up 40 and 60 percent, respectively.
Yours truly is batting 100% with predictions so far in this charade.
  • Iran attacked the tankers, and even Iran's allies (like Russia) aren't pretending to hold any enthusiasm for the false flag narrative. That has dissolved; only the most knuckle-hardened CT corners of the internet persist in that (with most still complaining about "grainy photos!" apparently oblivious to the 11 newly released photos shared in the v1 thread).
  • Trump used the tanker attack to threaten additional sanctions yesterday.
  • Pompeo has called for international diplomacy to coordinate a response from western nations, and the world at large.
  • Israel and Saudi Arabia have done nothing but whinge.
  • Though I did not predict it, Iran has openly threatened to begin enriching uranium to levels beyond Obama's deal from which Trump reneged. Bold strategy, Cotton.
  • Trump has postured, but did not respond with even a proportional strike, after they downed our $220m surveillance drone, and there is no invasion imminent. He allegedly calls off a retaliatory strike 10min before execution.
  • Iran shared footage of what it claims to be the drone today, but not where in the ocean they pulled the wreckage. Both sides are releasing material claiming their narrative, but it's clear neither is willing or able to release evidence that actually proves its positioning when it was shot down. Unlike with the tankers, though, Iran appears to be making a genuine effort, this time, that seems more sincere.
  • Trump responds with an alleged cyberattack instead targeting the IRG units that carried out the limpet mine attacks on the tankers. Iran appears poised to respond. Indeed, this melee is going to be staged in cyberspace. Personally, I think we should take this to the Robot Jox arena.

Al-Jazeera is providing live updates on the standoff here:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/06/iran-tensions-latest-updates-190621103437644.html

Engage v2.
VshM.gif

*Edit*
@Arkain2K has created some of his thoroughly comprehensive style of posts on the seizure of the tankers.

Everyone should read this piece to better understand why the Iranians feel provoked against the British, and are suddenly blowing up and seizing commercial tankers:
The Strange Case Of The Grace I’s Detention

Last edited:
The odds the US will strike Iran is very high , i.e. more likely to happen than not happen. But no one can say for sure.

Tucker comin' with da pwnage again.

It’s really not in the best interest of Trump, The U S or Iran to escalate this. Let’s hope the master negotiator can get things back on track without giving up too much ground.

lol its not like we will invade. We'd need half a million troops there to do so.

It’s all so tiresome, how they pit us against each other.

I dare someone to try and sell peace on this forum without getting banned.

Link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iranian-hackers-wage-cyber-campaign-amid-tensions-with-us-2019-06-22/

"Iran has increased its offensive cyberattacks against the U.S. government and critical infrastructure as tensions have grown between the two nations, cybersecurity firms say.

In recent weeks, hackers believed to be working for the Iranian government have targeted U.S. government agencies, as well as sectors of the economy, including oil and gas, sending waves of spear-phishing emails, according to representatives of cybersecurity companies CrowdStrike and FireEye, which regularly track such activity.

The cyber offensive is the latest chapter in the U.S. and Iran's ongoing cyber operations targeting the other, with this recent sharp increase in attacks occurring after the Trump administration imposed sanctions on the Iranian petrochemical sector this month."

"...but the tensions reached a fever pitch in recent weeks after two oil tankers were attacked, supposedly by the Iranian forces as the regime flexes its muscles over tough sanctions that caused its currency to drop by about 60 percent in 12 months while food and drug prices are up 40 and 60 percent, respectively."

So, I don't understand Iran's logic. Sanctions are hurting Iran and they decide attack two tankers and destroy a U.S. drone. Yeah, that is really going to improve things inside Iran. Apples and oranges.

there are so many war mongers, i hope the USA doesnt get dragged into another pointless war for Israel

NO MORE WARS

If it's all false flag, it's probably a way for Trump to score brownie points with the American people for "avoiding" war. If not, I gotta give the guy respect for not pulling the trigger.

I'd love to get the Iron Sheik's take on this.

Iron-Sheik2.png

Why derail the original thread to try and re-establsh a narrative that had already been shot down in the previous thread?

Folk spent posts and time sourcing objections to the false axioms presented in the opening post.

Now the assertions are re-stated but none of the objections exist in this thread now.

So everyone has to go back and debunk all this again. What's to stop the same thing happening again, the removal of one half of the conversation.

So we peer review a position. That peer review then gets locked and only one half of the discussion is then moved to a new thread. Meaning we have to do all this again or if more likely we can't be arsed to it looks like it has went unchallenged.

Total shambles.

Last edited:
If it's all false flag, it's probably a way for Trump to score brownie points with the American people for "avoiding" war. If not, I gotta give the guy respect for not pulling the trigger.
The ct shit is really going next level

First I hope there's no between the two
countries but I'm curious in what can
Iran Defeat the U.S.? And can it do without
help from Russia or China?

Why derail the original thread to try and re-establsh a narrative that had already been shot down in the previous thread?

Folk spent posts and time sourcing objections to the false axioms presented in the opening post.

Now the assertions are re-stated but none of the objections exist in this thread now.

So everyone has to go back and debunk all this again. What's to stop the same thing happening again, the removal of one half of the conversation.

So we peer review a position. That peer review then gets locked and only one half of the discussion is then moved to a new thread. Meaning we have to do all this again or if more likely we can't be arsed to it looks like it has went unchallenged.

Total shambles.
Dont mind him bro, hes just doing his job pleasing his corporate sponsors.

What objective would the US have to accomplish for you to consider the US victorious over Iran in a war?

Back