1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Iran wipes out villages over Narcotics

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by MadSquabbles500, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Gazwald Banned Banned

..and doing a shit (if you've ever enjoyed it).

2. Rex Kwon Do ál-ḥámdúlílláh

We should improve ties with them! They're the real moderates of the Middle East!

- Sherdoggers

3. Scrody Gold Belt Platinum Member

No, although they are usually in line with one another.

4. Rod1 Titanium Belt

They are usually in line because no state would dare to question the supremacy of the constitution.

Otherwise you get things like the EU.

5. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

This is supposedly one of the most civilized of all Muslim nations (look at those literacy rates! herpaderp): it's one that anti-American mouthbreathers will insist is morally equivocal to the USA, or even morally superior.

There's always something like this waiting in the wings.

6. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Holy strawman batman.

Name one individual on this board that claims that overall Iran is morally superior to the US.

7. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

OMFG, Rod, you're not that new.

8. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Indeed, and i doubt i have never seen anyone say that Iran is a better country than America.

Russia and China? sure they have their fanboys who honestly think these are better countries, but Iran? nope.

Unless you mean the US-Iranian history being lopsided in favor of Iran. In the sense that the US has hurt Iran more than viceversa.

But overall? nope, Iran may be decent for middle-east standards but we are still talking about the middle-east.

9. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Almost every time I see someone, like myself, argue in favor of Iran in some way the comparison is made to Saudi Arabia and not the US. Its not that Iran isn't a repressive country with a myriad of deplorable policies, its that its not arguably not as bad or as toxic to the region as some of our allies like Pakistan and SA.

10. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm still learning you. Keep in mind that what Iran did here doesn't negate our war crimes (such as the UN hospital bombing). But there is remarkable moral difference between the genocide of an entire village and most of our greatest crimes which really just come down to our political and humanitarian competency not keeping stride with our military might. In other words, pretty much every American atrocity is an accident, or accepted collateral.
    Just FYI since you were still coming to terms with the forum at the time: in fact, a former Canadian poster, known both as "Josh" and "Tomax", opined this multiple times. He wasn't the only one. He secretly marshaled support through PM's and offsite (in emails or at another forum) to slander me and my integrity as a mod. He actually accrued enough support on this platform to get me de-modded for several hours by circumventing the admins and petitioning Crave directly in an apparently coordinated campaign of emails: that I was intolerably pro-American when foreign policy issues involving Iran or Syria or Egypt came up, and that I was a bigot against Muslims unworthy of my post. This was back before ISIS went fucking nuts and almost the entire forum got their wake-up call, and shifted to favor my general world view. In fact, almost frighteningly, the forum flew right past me. It's much further to the right in this regard than myself, presently, and I find myself reeling in anti-Muslim sentiment.

It was only thanks to DMF pouring over this stuff that his machination did not succeed, and that I was allowed to illuminate Josh's dishonesty for all my fellow mods to see.

Of course, I went to painstaking lengths at the time to illuminate how dishonest and manipulative a poster like Josh was to the admins and my fellow mods. He wasn't long for this world after that, but the rise of ISIS and the shift of the forum just unhinged the guy, and he sabotaged himself with his inability to command his emotions. He flamed out. Naturally, I predicted that as guys like him are always their own worst enemy. As I understand it this guy continues to spend his personal time harassing Crave and the mods and the forum. It's very strange and, frankly, pathetic. I don't devote any attention to keep up with that stuff. The other mods with greater awareness are burdened with his antics. I'm indifferent to him, now.

As far as I'm concerned he's just another corpse in my wake. But he wasn't made of straw.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  11. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

What does that mean exactly?

12. 7437 Banned Banned

I dont see how this actually changes the fact that they are one of the most civilized muslim nations. It is not a high bar to meet. I still think they are certainly better than our allies SA and Pakistan.

13. Rod1 Titanium Belt

My bad then, certainly there are guys that will defend anything, we even had an ISIS fanboy after all.

14. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

That was my polite way of saying that I haven't really paid enough attention to you, yet, for you to weigh on my mind in this forum in any capacity.

It takes quite a while to build that level of familiarity with me. I'm moderating thousands of posters.
    It's not as bad as it used to be. You may not know, but at least one of the Boston Bombers had an account on Sherdog.

For a long time we had a poster "Ishaq" who I had a strong suspicion (along with many others) was one of those internet shills for Al-Qaeada in South Africa. Every single thing he posted was geared towards strengthening his argument to exterminate Israel. There used to be tons like this. Now, after the shift, the more problematic group are the Stormfront infiltrators, IMO.

Oh, the political pendulum.

15. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm insulted! How can you not know of me yet?!
    I wish we could find which account was his. I wonder is anyone at Sherdog even knows.

16. skombolis Gold Belt

I agree the U.S. does a lot of despicable things, normally overseas and out of sight. What they don't do here is not out of moral superiority but simply because they can't get away with it.

I have no doubt there are groups of power in this country that would wipe out large segments of the population if it could. Even look at how companies have bean-counters who decide when killing people through defective or toxic products and then settling lawsuits is cheaper than recalls.

But with that said, Iran is batshit crazy. Certainly near the top of the list of archaic punishments and views.

17. 7437 Banned Banned

Back when it happened a few threads figured out who it most likely was.

18. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

I need to know, someone PM me or something.

19. M3t4tr0n Steel Belt

Where you get those numbers

20. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

You've done most of your historical posting outside this forum, I'm guessing.

My verbal memory is strong, but I must admit that I don't do well associating names with identities. That's why I've used the same avatar for the 12 years since going from lurking to creating this account. It's easy to associate my identity with this avatar of Arlovski. Other posters are constantly changing their avatars. I don't have difficulty remembering concepts or ideas as expressed by the holder of an identity, but if I am not associating those ideas with that identity, because the avatar is constantly changing, then the bridge is never formed.

Names lack genuine specificity. How many "Johns" do you know? My guess is when you think of an opinion held by any given John that you aren't visualizing the name. That's why they aren't well associated with identities. Identities are better associated with images.

I wish everyone would keep static avatars.