Elections Iowa polls closing

The state has already lost tons of polling places since 2016.

We need MORE polling places, not less. We need a national election holiday. This is a disgrace to our democracy.

(This is a non-partisan post. Democrats have plenty of chances to pass a national election day holiday law).

I thought that was obvious, did those sound like my own words?

Kinda, yea, plenty of people talk like that here. It would have been obvious if you, well, you know, quoted it.

The state has already lost tons of polling places since 2016.

We need MORE polling places, not less. We need a national election holiday. This is a disgrace to our democracy.

(This is a non-partisan post. Democrats have plenty of chances to pass a national election day holiday law).

72% turnout of voting age Iowans voted in 2016. I don’t know much more better they’d do with more polling places, honestly. It seems like a lot of these places couldn’t find staff or didn’t want crowds in the building during the pandemic.

But in my prediction I have Biden winning the Presidency with 305 EC votes and I predict he loses Iowa, Florida and Georgia but wins Pennsylvania.

But in my prediction I have Biden winning the Presidency with 305 EC votes and I predict he loses Iowa, Florida and Georgia but wins Pennsylvania.
Yeah, Iowa only has a few electoral votes, so most likely it won’t be a big deal in the end either way.

Prevent mail-in-voting then shutdown the polls. Wow, this is not voter suppression at all. I guess this is the only way Ernst gets re-elected.
How dare they suppress your constitutional right to vote with a shutdown!

I agree BTW, but its funny how people pick and choose when its OK to shut things down and when not to.

Yeah, Iowa only has a few electoral votes, so most likely it won’t be a big deal in the end either way.
Agreed. Iowa won't likely have a big impact on the final result.

I'll be even more surprised than last election if Trump wins. So many indicators that Biden will win including Trump campaigning hard in the final week in states he already won in 2016 which suggests he's on the defensive. Trump now has a political record and can no longer be treated as an outsider. Pollsters have adjusted their methodology after the fiasco of the last election, and Biden is still far ahead. In the last election, we realized voters were too shy to side with Trump publically but Trump has done nothing but embolden his base since his election, so I feel that effect has fizzeled out.

But it doesn't mean Trump can't win. There are still some unknowns such as voter turnout on election day and the accuracy of the polls. But right now, even if you accrue the margin of error of the polls in Trump's favor, he still loses.

I thought it was safe to vote in person? lol

This is probably why Trump was always stressing that his supporters "vote early and in person". He knew the poll closures in states with republican governors were coming.

If challenged the closings will be upheld 6 to 3 in the Supreme Court with the majority writing: Sorry, Americans. These are the breaks. We can't control mother nature and infectious disease. Maybe you'll have a chance to actually exercise your right to vote in another four years.

He just saved all those peoples lives.
They probably won't have the class to thank him.

Agreed. Iowa won't likely have a big impact on the final result.

I'll be even more surprised than last election if Trump wins. So many indicators that Biden will win including Trump campaigning hard in the final week in states he already won in 2016 which suggests he's on the defensive. Trump now has a political record and can no longer be treated as an outsider. Pollsters have adjusted their methodology after the fiasco of the last election, and Biden is still far ahead. In the last election, we realized voters were too shy to side with Trump publically but Trump has done nothing but embolden his base since his election, so I feel that effect has fizzeled out.

But it doesn't mean Trump can't win. There are still some unknowns such as voter turnout on election day and the accuracy of the polls. But right now, even if you accrue the margin of error of the polls in Trump's favor, he still loses.

Agree with everything you've posted. But...some people with a lot more knowledge of the American electoral system than myself still believe that Trump could effectively steal the election if the result on 3rd November is close enough. So it's not enough for Biden to win. He has to absolutely crush Trump and leave him no option but to admit defeat.

Supressin democracy is the Murkan way!

Agree with everything you've posted. But...some people with a lot more knowledge of the American electoral system than myself still believe that Trump could effectively steal the election if the result on 3rd November is close enough. So it's not enough for Biden to win. He has to absolutely crush Trump and leave him no option but to admit defeat.
Yes and I've listened to the pundits and elections experts weigh in on how Trump can win, and it's definitely a possibility. But you have to ask yourself "Are you more confident if you're a member of the Biden campaign or if you're a member of the Trump campaign?" Obviously members of the Trump campaign are going to say they're confident but they're surely not expressing what's being discussed behind the curtains.

The reality is the chance that Biden wins a blowout, which I would say is above 320 electoral votes, is higher than Trump winning by even a small margin. The likelihood that Trump wins the majority vote is next to nil. These are sentiments being echo'd by most Democrats and Independents while the GoP focuses on saying that polls are inaccurate, that they know the spirit of America thanks to being on the road during the campaign, or they will cite the Rasmussen poll who has been the most generous toward Trump, yet is largely considered one of the less reliable polling companies historically.

But the 2016 election was a lesson to the Democrats. It can't be taken for granted. You can't take your foot off the gas for one second. And I feel they learned that lesson this time around.

Yes and I've listened to the pundits and elections experts weigh in on how Trump can win, and it's definitely a possibility. But you have to ask yourself "Are you more confident if you're a member of the Biden campaign or if you're a member of the Trump campaign?" Obviously members of the Trump campaign are going to say they're confident but they're surely not expressing what's being discussed behind the curtains.

The reality is the chance that Biden wins a blowout, which I would say is above 320 electoral votes, is higher than Trump winning by even a small margin. The likelihood that Trump wins the majority vote is next to nil. These are sentiments being echo'd by most Democrats and Independents while the GoP focuses on saying that polls are inaccurate, that they know the spirit of America thanks to being on the road during the campaign, or they will cite the Rasmussen poll who has been the most generous toward Trump, yet is largely considered one of the less reliable polling companies historically.

But the 2016 election was a lesson to the Democrats. It can't be taken for granted. You can't take your foot off the gas for one second. And I feel they learned that lesson this time around.
This post is not going to age well :)

Back