Invite Etiquette Question

SaucyJack

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
An immediate family member invites you to a birthday party by creating an event in Facebook. There is no other form of contact regarding the event.

Poor form or is that the new standard procedure in the social media world?

EDIT: I'm not asking for advice. It's a straightforward question about etiquette.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go. I would make a big deal about it. I mean, what is this their birthday or something?

Poor form is the new standard procedure in the social media world.

I don't even bother responding to FB event invites.

The nerve of some people! Inviting their friends and relatives through a convenient, quick and easy electronic method which creates an easy way to update status, confirm timing and location, and generally present information in an accessible way.

I would never talk to that person again. I would be outraged. Outraged I say!

An immediate family member invites you to a birthday party by creating an event in Facebook. There is no other form of contact regarding the event.

Wut? You mean you can't call your family member or send a PM? What is this world coming to?

The nerve of some people! Inviting their friends and relatives through a convenient, quick and easy electronic method which creates an easy way to update status, confirm timing and location, and generally present information in an accessible way.

I would never talk to that person again. I would be outraged. Outraged I say!
He should post on his timeline to show his displeasure! I hope he throws up hashtags and nonsensical jumbles together to show he extra mad!

Since it is an immediate family member, how about talking to them directly if something bothers you and resolving it instead of turning it into a thing.

Don't start shit with family over a difference in etiquette, it's not worth it

He should post on his timeline to show his displeasure! I hope he throws up hashtags and nonsensical jumbles together to show he extra mad!

I say decline the FB invite but show up anyway....without a gift.

attachment.php

This is one of the few things Facebook is useful and great for.

i fall the cracks on stuff like this. i have a fbook, but never check it and all the invites and stuff go to my social folder in gmail, so i never see those either. missed a good friends baby birth announcement because of this. it seems unlikely that i will change my behavior or delete my fbook page, so i guess these things will just happen occasionally.

The things people whine about these days.

Would a text message kept you from sucking your thumb?

I say decline the FB invite but show up anyway....without a gift.

attachment.php
That's #coldblooded#imdoinghashtagsonfacebook#letsasksherdogaboutettiquetteinsteadofaskingimmediatefamilymember#

Take the fight to him. Bring your girl friend, her kid and his friend. Then make your girlfriend take heaps of food home for later consumption.

Though I haven't gotten an actual answer, it is entertaining to see assumptions that come up from the question.

I hope you guys don't over analyze texts from your girlfriends like this lol.

EDIT: I'm not asking for advice. It's a straightforward question about etiquette.

Get with the times.

Neither the wife or I are on facebook. If we miss something and get called on it, I just turn it around and say how the inviter never got a hold of us and say how low they are because they forgot all about us and couldn't manage a courtesy phone call or text. Works everytime. And allows me some time up on my soapbox, which I enjoy.

Back