Invicta FC champion Cris Cyborg to defend title against Ediane Gomes

What about Thirdpres saying there are more fighters at 125 than at 115, do you have an answer for that?
I'm not going to argue with Thirdpres. I was comparing 115 to 135. If that's what he says about 125, I believe him.
Also I feel it isn't fair to compare the way women who weigh 150 before cutting move to women who weigh 130 before cutting and say those who weigh 130 are outright 'more talented' in the same way it isn't fair to say Cain is 'less talented' than any random male lighter weight fighter with more varied and dynamic striking. Being naturally faster and more agile isn't a skill.

Pretty much everyone agrees that 155-170 is the sweet spot for talent in men's MMA. It goes downhill from there. I'm simply talking about the number of top-level fighters, not questioning their skill.

The fact is there are many more athletic women who weigh 130 than 150. It's simply a larger pool of talent available for 115 and 125 than 135 and 145. Once again, I'm not shitting on the elite fighters in any particular weight class, I'm pointing out the differences in the *amount* of elite fighters available in each weight class.

I'm not going to argue with Thirdpres. I was comparing 115 to 135. If that's what he says about 125, I believe him.

Pretty much everyone agrees that 155-170 is the sweet spot for talent in men's MMA. It goes downhill from there. I'm simply talking about the number of top-level fighters, not questioning their skill.

The fact is there are many more athletic women who weigh 130 than 150. It's simply a larger pool of talent available for 115 and 125 than 135 and 145. Once again, I'm not shitting on the elite fighters in any particular weight class, I'm pointing out the differences in the *amount* of elite fighters available in each weight class.

Thirdpres also said there are more fighters at 135, almost as many as at 115 and 105 combined. Maybe there are more athletic women who weigh 130 than 150 in general, but not participating in MMA at the moment. That's what I said and backed up by Thirdpres' numbers and the other list.

Perhaps 115 has the POTENTIAL to be deeper than 135 - hard to predict how these things will play out though - but currently the number of fighters in it is less. The notion that SW is 'much deeper' RIGHT NOW is an overly popular Sherdog myth not backed up by data and influenced by more dynamic movement at 115, as your 'anyone with 2 eyes and a brain' comment seems to indicate.

Last edited:
It's also interesting to note that 105 actually has less fighters than 145, yet 145 gets way more shit for 'having nobody' and being shallow. In fact somebody here claimed that 105 is 'deeper' than 135 which has 3X as many fighters... It seems to me the perceived greater depth of the lighter divisions has a lot more to do with general knowledge not specific to the sport, 'familiarity breeds contempt', Anderson Silva effect, dynamic movement bias, and maybe even lighter fighters being subjectively more attractive than with data and facts.

According to Thirdpres' numbers BW talent pool size>SW talent pool size and FW talent pool size>AW talent pool size, from reading Sherdog you'd think it was the opposite to a large degree.

BTW question for anyone who follows women's boxing, I'm wondering... are the weight classes there around 115 considered much deeper than the ones around 135?

Hmm Flyweight has more fighters which the other list didn't indicate. It does seem to me like 125 would the true 'sweet spot' in terms of being a more average weight for athletic women who be inclined to do MMA to fight at. BW has almost as many fighters than SW and AW put together though which is about what I figured.

Yep. The flyweights are the largest single weight division in Women's MMA. Over a year ago it was even larger by comparison to either the bantamweights or the strawweights.

Fly had around 230 while ban had 150 and str had 115 or so fighters.

Before the UFC brought over Rosi Sexton and Shiela Gaff flyweight also had by far and away the largest grouping of fighters with big records and up and comers. Think of the fighters who are now at 135 or 115 who used to fight at 125 or had just recently fought there.

Bantamweight has actually been reborn after the UFC really showed they were going to do something with it (say TUF 18). At one point, a year and a half ago, it was down to 105 fighters with more then several talking about moving to different weight classes.

Flyweights continue to out fight per week the other weight classes. Since I was traveling so much earlier this year I could only do a large update on total fights and record changes rather then a week by week breakdown so the figures aren't there for checking as I'd like but there is often a big difference in the numbers of fights taking place.

It is not uncommon for two to three times as many fights to take place at flyweight then either bantamweight or strawweight. Brazilians make up a huge proportion of these flyweight fights as they are the busiest fighters in Women's MMA as far as countries go and Brazilians makeup the largest group at flyweight.

Here is a breakdown of the past seven weeks of fights for bantamweight, flyweight, and strawweight:

Bantamweight - 16 fights
Flyweight - 43 fights
Strawweight - 11 fights

I was doing some trivia on my lists but couldn't fit it all in there. It is worth noting that there are no US fighters in the top ten at featherweight (on my list, there are a few on other lists but they only have 2-3* fights at the most.)

There has been a ton of attention to both the bantamweights and strawweights for various reasons, mostly due to EliteXC, Showtime, UFC, Invicta and the Bellator strawweight tournament. Visibility. People talk about those fighters/divisions they know about. (I think it helps a division to have a strong US fighter, or US based fighter, in the top ten as the major US promotions are more likely to make fights visible if that is the case.)

The Bellator tournament in particular turned the strawweights around in the US. I remember Bellator was criticized somewhat for having a 115 tournament over a 125 tournament due the comparative lack of fighters at 115 versus 125 in the US. Tara LaRosa and her supporters were particularly annoyed. (LaRosa was under pressure to fight Carano or Cyborg at this time and had begun looking at 125 if I remember correctly.)

But people love Megumi Fujii and it was nice to see some of the other women like Lisa Ellis get chances to shine. A proper rematch between Fujii and Ellis was on people's mind.

Hard to hate on them for putting out the tournament let alone giving good fighters a chance to show their stuff on TV. I just remember there being a fair amount of head scratching about that decision.

Of course a flyweight ended up winning that tournament, Zoila Frausto Gurgel. (Although I don't agree with the decisions that led Zoila getting the nod.)

--
*Example. Ashlee Evans-Smith 2-0-0 US. I think Evans-Smith is a capable fighter but I dislike the idea of her being listed as top ten versus some others who have fought more and against somewhat capable opposition. Evans-Smith does have a great and well publicized win over Fallon Fox so there is that.

Last edited:
Just surveyed my 5 year old and three year old twins if this was a boy or a girl. unanimous verdict - it's a boy. Their mom didn't approve of this and tried to correct the mistake. They weren't having any of it.
had a good laugh at this, haha.

Realizing I should probably get into more wmma beyond UFC 135ers. seems like a lot of the talent is outside UFC.

You know a division is god awful when the two people in the title fight are talking about moving down in weight after the fight. 145 is dead right now and will need at least 3-5 years to fill out. Thankfully, Invicta now has a platform to do that and UFC will one day reap the benefits as with 135 and 115.

I think Gomes could have a decent UFC career at 135, but she will always be known as the woman Ronda beat in 25 seconds. Which makes this Cyborg fight pointless since everything Cyborg does is viewed through the prism of Ronda. Also, Gomes's lack of marketability will always keep her below evenly ranked fighters.

But hey, she is in main event of a card on UFC Fight Pass. I guess that is something.

I don't know.mi always think of her as the chick who beat a guy in Rio Heroes. Rousey says she could beat guys up, while Gomes actually did it.

Just surveyed my 5 year old and three year old twins if this was a boy or a girl. unanimous verdict - it's a boy. Their mom didn't approve of this and tried to correct the mistake. They weren't having any of it.

Hahaha, I get a chuckle every time Gunny drags Gunny Jr. and Mrs. Gunny into MMA :D

Back