Invicta FC champion Cris Cyborg to defend title against Ediane Gomes

People were saying that 3-5 years ago. 145lbs is just not a bastian of talent and has no up and coming prospects.

There is Randi Miller but she's only there because she can't be arsed doing anything with her weight.

135 isn't even that good. The premiere divisions are 105,115 and 125 and talent really picks up at those weight classes.

Randi went back to wrestling, she's been competing a lot this year and tried out for this year's world team at 152.

Randi went back to wrestling, she's been competing a lot this year and tried out for this year's world team at 152.

what in the fuck, she medaled in the olympics at 138 what the fuck is she thinking?

Wow after reading all the posts you would think the 145lb division has nobody and Rousey's division is loaded with contenders. WTF are you people dreaming? Rousey's division is loaded with pretenders and not contenders. The only 2 women that are the best in WMMA are Cyborg and Rousey. The only reason why Cyborg wants to move down is to kick the $hit out of Rousey. Since Rousey has been running away from Cyborg when she moved down in weight and has been hiding there ever since.

135 isn't even that good. The premiere divisions are 105,115 and 125 and talent really picks up at those weight classes.

This seems a popular opinion these days but according to a list compiled by a fellow Sherdogger there seems to be objectively more talent (read: number of fighters) at 135 than in any of those divisions. Maybe they have more potential to grow in the future (which no one can predict, however), but at the present time them having a deeper talent pool is hard to back with data. Also if you look at the records of the top 10 at SW or especially FLW or AW, are they really more impressive than those of the top 10 BW's? The lighter divisions may seem more exciting because the hierarchy is not as established in them yet, but by the same token they are also smaller less developed divisions.

Wow after reading all the posts you would think the 145lb division has nobody and Rousey's division is loaded with contenders. WTF are you people dreaming? Rousey's division is loaded with pretenders and not contenders. The only 2 women that are the best in WMMA are Cyborg and Rousey. The only reason why Cyborg wants to move down is to kick the $hit out of Rousey. Since Rousey has been running away from Cyborg when she moved down in weight and has been hiding there ever since.

Uh, the 145 division doesn't have anyone. Cyborg's top 2 challengers have already lost to Ronda in under a minute.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Gilbert Melendez

cyborg10.jpg

05jan2013-brasileira-ediane-gomes-a-india-comemora-vitoria-sobre-a-japonesa-hiroko-yamanaka-no-invicta-fc-4-1357492045145_956x500.jpg

I thought Cyborg was going to have her next fight at 135?

I'm beginning to wonder if Cyborg will drop to 135 this year if at all. Maybe she is scared of losing weight and losing fights?

Wanderlei Silva vs. Gilbert Melendez

cyborg10.jpg

05jan2013-brasileira-ediane-gomes-a-india-comemora-vitoria-sobre-a-japonesa-hiroko-yamanaka-no-invicta-fc-4-1357492045145_956x500.jpg

Jeebus... Not to be a sexist but those two are not the ones you want as face of women's mma...

Uh, the 145 division doesn't have anyone. Cyborg's top 2 challengers have already lost to Ronda in under a minute.

Rousey beat Kaufmann and McMann real fast too. And as time goes on she will make the 135 division have less and less people - per your standard.

I think Rothenhauser is the best challenger at 145 if she can make weight.

Here is a rough set of numbers of fighters for weight classes and the top to upper level up and comers for the major weight classes in Women's MMA. I tend to want to include the top 20 to 30 people along with roughly however many fighters having records consisting of around 4-5 fights.

There are definitely other good fighters who have only 1 to 3 fights but they haven't fought strong enough opposition to get further up in how I do my rankings so they are not included.

Featherweight 30 / Total: 118 / 5-7 people looking to move to a different weight class.

Bantamweight 56 / Total: 229 / 3 people looking to move to a different weight class. Several fighters often fight at flyweight, mostly Brazilians. There are three "H's" or on hold as this represents a fighter moving to the weight class.

Flyweight 46 / Total: 277 / 9 people looking to move to a different weight class. One "H".

Strawweight 43 / Total 161 / 1 person set to move to a different weight class. Five "H's" There are a good number of strawweights who would prefer to fight at atomweight but for lack of opponents. There are also a good number of recently moved fighters from flyweight down to strawweight (even atomweights up to strawweight) due to the UFC/IFC needing strawweights, that is why there are five "H's" for example.

Atomweight 25 / Total 73 / 3 people looking to move to a different weight class.

Keep in mind that roughly half of the total number of weight division are fighters with losing records, even only 1 fight so the numbers can look more impressive then they really are.

Lists of fighters by weight class in spoiler tags as seen from the Women's MMA List by Weight Class thread.

Featherweight - 145Ibs/65.7kg
1 Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino (12-1-0, NC1) BR (US) (May move to 135lbs)
2 Marloes “Rumina” Coenen (21-6-0) NL
3 Pannie "Banzia" Kianzad (5-0-0) SE (May move to 135lbs)
4 Julia "The Jewel" Budd (6-2-0) CA
5 Annalisa "No Fear" Bucci (7-3-0) IT
6 Maria Hougaard Djursaa (5-5-0) DK
7 Alexandra Buch (8-3-0) DE
8 Ediane "India" Gomes (10-2-0) BR (US) (May move to 135lbs)
9 Faith Van Duin (4-0-0) NZ
10 Talita "Treta" Nogueira (6-0-0) BR (Moving to 135lbs)
11 Charmaine "Not So Sweet" Tweet (5-4-0) CA
12 Latoya "Black Mamba" Walker (2-0-0) US
13 Gabrielle "Gabinator" Holloway (3-1-0) US
14 Tamikka "Boom-Boom" Brents (2-0-0) US
15 Andria Wawro (3-1-0) US
16 Veronica "The Heartbreaker" Rothenhausler (1-0-0) US
17 Ashlee Evans-Smith (2-0-0) US (Moving to 135lbs)
18 Gina "Danger" Mazany (3-0-0) US
19 Barbara Nalepka (2-0-0) PL
20 Roberta Paim (3-0-0) BR
Katalina Malungahu (2–2–0) US
Cassie Crisano (2-1-0, 1NC) US
Marion Reneau (3-0-0) US
Diana Atkin (2-0-0) CA
Irina Pilipenko (2-0-0) RU
Anastasia Kravets (2-0-0) UA
Marina Shafir (1-0-0) US
Fabiana Pereira Santos (2-0-0) BR
Vladena (Vlada) Yavorskaya (3-2-0) UA
Revelina Berto (3-1-0) US

Bantam Weight - 135Ibs/61.2kg:

1 "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey (9-0-0) US
2 Alexis "Ally-Gator" Davis (16-5-0) CA (US)
3 Sarah Kaufman (17-2-0, 1NC) CA
4 Sara McMann (7-1-0) US
5 Jessica "Evil" Eye (10-2-0, 1NC) US
6 Cat "Alpha" Zingano (8-0-0) US
7 Lauren "All In" Murphy (8-0-0) US
8 Miesha "Cupcake" Tate (14-5-0) US
9 Tonya "Triple Threat" Evinger (13-5-0) US (Moving to 125lbs)
10 Holly Holm (7-0-0) US
11 Liz "Girl-Rilla" Carmouche (9-5-0) US
12 Jessica Andrade (10-3-0) BR
13 Larissa Pacheco (10-0-0) BR
14 Amanda "Lioness of the Rings" Nunes (9-3-0) BR (US)
15 Bethe Correia (8-0-0) BR
16 Agnieszka Niedzwiedz (7-0-0) PL
17 Rin Nakai (16-0-1) JP
18 Shayna "Queen of Spades" Baszler (15-8-0) US
19 Leslie Smith (6-5-1) US
20 Takayo Hashi (15-4-1) JP
H - Milana Dudieva (10-3-0) RU
21 Sarah "The Monster" D’Alelio (7-6-0) US
22 Shizuka Sugiyama (11-4-1) JP
23 Miriam Nakamoto (2-1-0, 1NC) US
24 Germaine de Randamie (4-3-0) NL (US)
25 Julie Werner (7-4-0) BR
H - Valerie Letourneau (5-3-0) CA (US)
26 Raquel "Rocky" Pennington (4-4-0) US
27 Jessamyn "The Gun" Duke (3–1–0, 1NC) US
28 Sheila "The German Tank " Gaff (10-6-1) DE (Move to 125lbs?)
29 Sarah Moras (3-1-0) CA
30 Kaitlin Young (7-8-1) US
Kate Da Silva (7-1-0) NZ
Kim Ji-Yeon (0-0-2) KR(0-0-2) KR
H - Fiona Muxlow (6-3-0) AU (TH)
Tara Larosa (21-4-0) US (Moving to 125lbs)
Irene Aldana (3-1-0) MX
Rosy Duarte (5-2-0) BR
Ana Maria India (5-5-0) BR
Arlene Blencowe (4-4-0) AU
Angela Hayes (6-7-0) US
Anita Rodriguez (5-4-0) US
Mayra Arce (5-1-0) MX
Marcia Silva (4-2-0) BR
Fallon Fox (4-1-0) US
Elizabeth Phillips (4-1-0) US
Deise Lee Rocha (5-4-1) BR
Luciana Pereira (4-3-1) BR
Christina Tatnell (4-1-0) AU
Dayana Silva (5-2-0) BR
Iryna Shaparenko (5-1-0) UA
Mariah Prussia (3-0-0) US
Laura Howarth (2-0-0) GB
Peggy Morgan (2-1-0) US
Claudia Rey (4-0-0) BR
Helen Malone (3-2-0) AU

Flyweight - 125Ibs/56.6kg:

1 Barb "Little Warrior" Honchak (9-2-0) US
2 Vanessa Porto (16-6-0) BR (US) (May move to 135lbs)
3 Jennifer Maia (8-3-1) BR
4 Joanna Jedrzejczyk (6-0-0) PL (Moving to 115lbs)
5 Nina Ansaroff (6-3-0) US (May to 115lbs)
6 Tina L

Last edited:
This seems a popular opinion these days but according to a list compiled by a fellow Sherdogger there seems to be objectively more talent (read: number of fighters) at 135 than in any of those divisions. Maybe they have more potential to grow in the future (which no one can predict, however), but at the present time them having a deeper talent pool is hard to back with data. Also if you look at the records of the top 10 at SW or especially FLW or AW, are they really more impressive than those of the top 10 BW's? The lighter divisions may seem more exciting because the hierarchy is not as established in them yet, but by the same token they are also smaller less developed divisions.

I agree with you that people underestimate talent level of 135 and relatively overestimate 115's talent level(I'm biggest fan of 115). 105 and 125 are actually quite thin(from known talent at least), I feel sometimes people say those division are deeper due to hate for 135 or use it as a counter when hater criticize 135 talent level. For example at 105 it's hard to think of anyone other than Penne/Ham to challenge Waterson. At 125 Barb is very good but whos after that Porto? then whom? So I think the most stacked division are 115 and 135, it's hard to say which is more stacked I feel without Ronda 115 is deeper mostly because their matches at higher ranks looks more standard whereas Ronda runs through her division which kind of implies the rest of the top fighters are at a relatively lower level. But with Ronda not sure she is pretty insane p4p.

So Cris Cyborg is fighting Gomes then Budd. Ronda beat them before she was good in 25 and 39 seconds. Womens 145 is so garbage. Some women with 1 and 2 wins are ranked.

Yeah,i agree.Some fighters are just pure garbage.

Cain getting KTFO in 30 seconds,Hughes getting KTFO in 20 seconds,Anderson getting subbed by japanese cans.Gosh,those guys are horrible.

Basically,everybody is a can...

Rousey beat Kaufmann and McMann real fast too. And as time goes on she will make the 135 division have less and less people - per your standard.

I think Rothenhauser is the best challenger at 145 if she can make weight.

I've heard Rothlenhauser is clearing off to 155.

I feel without Ronda 115 is deeper mostly because their matches at higher ranks looks more standard whereas Ronda runs through her division which kind of implies the rest of the top fighters are at a relatively lower level.

Then again without Ronda the fights between top fighters at 135 would look more standard too, to me it more implies that Ronda is a level above everyone and not that those in her division are below other divisions.

Here is a rough set of numbers of fighters for weight classes and the top to upper level up and comers for the major weight classes in Women's MMA. I tend to want to include the top 20 to 30 people along with roughly however many fighters having records consisting of around 4-5 fights.

There are definitely other good fighters who have only 1 to 3 fights but they haven't fought strong enough opposition to get further up in how I do my rankings so they are not included.

Featherweight 30 / Total: 118 / 5-7 people looking to move to a different weight class.

Bantamweight 56 / Total: 231 / 3 people looking to move to a different weight class. Several fighters often fight at flyweight, mostly Brazilians. There are three "H's" or on hold as this represents a fighter moving to the weight class.

Flyweight 46 / Total: 275 / 9 people looking to move to a different weight class. One "H".

Strawweight 43 / Total 161 / Five "H's" There are a good number of strawweights who would prefer to fight at atomweight but for lack of opponents. There are also a good number of recently moved fighters from flyweight down to strawweight (even atomweights up to strawweight) due to the UFC/IFC needing strawweights, that is why there are five "H's" for example.

Atomweight 25 / Total 73 / 3 people looking to move to a different weight class.

Keep in mind that roughly half of the total number of weight division are fighters with losing records, even only 1 fight so the numbers can look more impressive then they really are.

Lists of fighters by weight class in spoiler tags as seen from the Women's MMA List by Weight Class thread.

Hmm Flyweight has more fighters which the other list didn't indicate. It does seem to me like 125 would the true 'sweet spot' in terms of being a more average weight for athletic women who be inclined to do MMA to fight at. BW has almost as many fighters than SW and AW put together though which is about what I figured.

This seems a popular opinion these days but according to a list compiled by a fellow Sherdogger there seems to be objectively more talent (read: number of fighters) at 135 than in any of those divisions..

Objectively? No, those lists are biased towards 135 because that's the only weight class in the UFC right now. Anybody with two eyeballs and a brain who has watched an equal amount of top 135 and top 115 fights knows 115 wipes the floor with 135 talent wise.

Objectively? No, those lists are biased towards 135 because that's the only weight class in the UFC right now. Anybody with two eyeballs and a brain who has watched an equal amount of top 135 and top 115 fights knows 115 wipes the floor with 135 talent wise.

What about Thirdpres saying there are more fighters at 125 than at 115, do you have an answer for that? Also I feel it isn't fair to compare the way women who weigh 150 before cutting move to women who weigh 130 before cutting and say those who weigh 130 are outright 'more talented' in the same way it isn't fair to say Cain is 'less talented' than any random male lighter weight fighter with more varied and dynamic striking. Being naturally faster and more agile isn't a skill.

I agree with you that people underestimate talent level of 135 and relatively overestimate 115's talent level(I'm biggest fan of 115). 105 and 125 are actually quite thin(from known talent at least), I feel sometimes people say those division are deeper due to hate for 135 or use it as a counter when hater criticize 135 talent level. For example at 105 it's hard to think of anyone other than Penne/Ham to challenge Waterson. At 125 Barb is very good but whos after that Porto? then whom? So I think the most stacked division are 115 and 135, it's hard to say which is more stacked I feel without Ronda 115 is deeper mostly because their matches at higher ranks looks more standard whereas Ronda runs through her division which kind of implies the rest of the top fighters are at a relatively lower level. But with Ronda not sure she is pretty insane p4p.

The simple fact is the natural sorting process hasn't had much of a chance to work in WMMA. Most women have been taking fights 10-20 pounds out of their true comfort zone in order to get anything. Hopefully with the UFC partnership, Invicta will be able to put on more fights and that will let some of these divisions build up and women fighters will end up in the right weight class.

For example, you point out that 105 has very few contenders. That's because very good fighters like Alex Chambers, Rose Namajunas and Jessica Penne are going for the money at 115 when they should be fighting at 105.

I don't want to come off as negative here. Invicta has a solid platform now and there are TWO WMMA divisions in the UFC, that's *fantastic* progress. Invicta will get the 105 and 125 divisions built up over the next couple of years, for sure.

Just surveyed my 5 year old and three year old twins if this was a boy or a girl. unanimous verdict - it's a boy. Their mom didn't approve of this and tried to correct the mistake. They weren't having any of it.

Back