inverted triangle from side control set up...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by FXG, Oct 17, 2010.

1. FXG

FXG Orange Belt

so i came upon a new submission (new to me) while rolling , i was on bottom and my rolling partner was in side control on MY right side. i like to do a sort of rubber guard where i grab my left ankle with my right hand. i can usually control my opponent better this way and it makes escaping way easier. so this time he got a bit frustrate in my side rubber guard and decided to get an underhook on my left leg, then everything clicked, i posted my hand on the side of his face, pushed his head through and locked up the triangle, it took about 30-45 seconds for me to adjust it correctly but i finally finished it. that was about 2 weeks ago and i have caught 3 other guys with the move now.

my questions:

Does anyone else use the side rubber guard?

how often do you see the inverted triangle from side control?

2. kinkykid

kinkykid White Belt

A. Probably a couple.

B. Rarely.

And very few people will get frustrated and gift you with a triangle set-up.

And hopefully you aren't trolling.

3. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

youre totally giving them an armbar by going to "rubber guard" in side control.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

No, you should probably stop doing that, a better guy will not hook your leg (giving you the reverse triangle) and will tap you immediately when you reach your arm out.

Reverse triangle from bottom side control is really annoying because unless you're actually good at it, you just squeeze the guy's head and waste his training time. Focus on escaping side control instead.

5. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

this. I'm a bigger guy, but only once in my life has someone gotten the reverse triangle like this and come close to finishing this triangle. One thing you can do, is that if you get the reverse triangle, attack their free arm. Still, you are seldom (if ever) going to lock this on to an experienced opponent and it's more of a feint to use to create a reaction and escape side control rather than finish.

6. dahakkuh

dahakkuh Green Belt

I dont do the rubber guard, bu
    I just throw my legs high up (lying on the upper back/shoulders) and push his head and his arm towards my awaiting legs for closing the triangle.
    I caught several guys who are clearly better than me in this position and finished one of them. Anyway, somehow I like the setup with the high legs helps me a lot for escaping and sneaking back to guard.

7. trenlong

trenlong White Belt

1- I dont use rubber guard from side control and rarely from guard

2- I get this move with some regularity if I am really going for it.

Something that has helped me, when in side control if you get your partners arm between your legs, use your hands to create a little space then fold your hips over your head like inverted guard, then use the leg that is behind his arm (if his is on your right side in SC then it will be your right leg) to pull his head down and cinch up the triangle.
    Then attack the free arm,
    grab your own ankle and pull to tighten and finish
    bear hug his stomach and extend your hips
    roll him 3/4 onto his back then walk your hips around so its just a reverse triangle
    foot lock

or just hold on until one of you have to go pee.

I actually won one of my matches at pans this year with the ole reverse triangle, americana combo.

8. LoopChoke

LoopChoke Orange Belt

I get to the triangle position farely often but it is hard to finish from the side control bottom. Usually, I just attack the free arm.

9. beachgrappler

beachgrappler Orange Belt

this "side" rubber guard you are talking about is not something you should really be doing, you will get arm barred 9/10 times by anyone who knows what they are doing. not to mention, from the way i'm picturing it...the darce is right there and we all know how popular that damn thing is.

10. Here

Here Blue Belt

I use the move, your arm isn't in danger as much as everyone is saying, If you have the leg dexterity you aren't reaching anywhere. Watch out for leglocks when you throw your leg up instead.

Guy at my gym does this once you get the arm.

11. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Hooking the leg on the inside its not bad technique, its better for pinning purposes. Of course its pointless in BJJ because it also shuts you down.

12. ElKarlo

ElKarlo Steel Belt

From bottom SC you can triangle some newbs or some weak blues, but after that, it doesn't work. I used to do it all the time. But after a while you just get shut down. Now you can sometimes use it to set us escapes.

Also, it really slowed down my SC escape development

13. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Nothing pointless about it. It's a great way to set up the North-South choke against an opponent insistent on turning into you.

14. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

It's a good valid technique, and I use it a lot. However there is no such thing as "side rubber guard."