Inverted Arm Bar (getting stacked by large opponent)

sfox

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I recently did this short instructional clip on one of my favorite counters to my opponent stacking me when I try to arm bar him from my guard.

YouTube - Inverted Armbar

Karl Pravec

Thanks for posting.

Before anyone asks, Karl Pravec is a BJJ Black Belt under Renzo Gracie and John Danaher

Pretty nifty move, the video was very well presented also :)

Embedded for ease of viewing.

Great vid.

I will be out of training for the next 4-6 months because of a knee injury, I am looking for every kind of BJJ technique vids on the net.

THX Mr.Pravec, I really appreciate it.

One of my favorites. The more they stack you, the easier it is.

Great vid.

I will be out of training for the next 4-6 months because of a knee injury, I am looking for every kind of BJJ technique vids on the net.

THX Mr.Pravec, I really appreciate it.

Check his channel, they have a handful of other vids up there!

Hopefully he'll do more.

wrestleben: agreed. Funny enough, I use this mostly on wrestlers ;)

I just watched some other vids on the channel, for example the triangle choke from guard vid. It's always good to have some alternatives when your opponent is defending very well and knows what your going for.

I hope you guys from silverfox BJJ put some new vids up, awesome, great explained and shown techniques.

Looks like the JT Torres move he shows in his take the back video series. He goes for the the back instead of the finish but pretty much the same move. I like how you show the finish in this video though.

Take The Back From The Belly Out Armbar

Should be very useful even against smaller guys. When I do an armbar from high guard, I get stacked so I have to use a lot of strength to finish which I don't like doing.

I will give this a go the next time I am in this situation.

Thanks for the comments. On this move I generally try to finish it inverted rather than flip the guy over (you can lose him in the transition if he's got flexible shoulders), although if he wants to put in the work and flip over himself, I will switch to traditional arm bar. For that the inverted finish, the top leg is key.

As for more videos, I'm working on it. The guy that filmed it and uploaded this one for me just uploaded another one (guillotine --> anaconda choke). As I'm not technically that savvy, I need his help (I tried to upload a video myself before and couldn't do it). I will put it up on the forum in a day or two. I also need to learn how to use the youtube channel that J set up for me.
Karl

great move, that should help me a lot... i usually train with larger guys

Looks like the JT Torres move he shows in his take the back video series. He goes for the the back instead of the finish but pretty much the same move. I like how you show the finish in this video though.

Take The Back From The Belly Out Armbar

The funny thing about the JT Torres video is that it's basically just a reverse-engineering of grabbing the armbar from atop the turtle. That's one of my higher % armbars, sliding off the turtle to the armbar with the shin across the back of the neck.

a nice alternative for me, thanks for posting

Back