Intro martial art for an 8 year old

Bren312

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a question I could use an opinion on (hopefully this is the right forum). I'd like to enroll my 8 year old daughter in her first martial art but I'm having trouble picking a good one.

She loves to wrestle and grapple so I thought maybe Judo but I was also thinking Hapkido since it incorporates strikes as well (another thing she enjoys... The kid is just feisty). Any thoughts or other disciplines I should think about?

My son's have been training/competing in BJJ since they were . They are now 6 and 10. They do some cross training in Judo as well.

BJJ>>>

All of them.

Only a slight exaggeration; for similar reasons to how newcomers to combat sports don't really benefit (in terms of competitive results) from things like discussions of gameplanning or the like, very young kids are not really at the point yet where they can engage in or benefit from deeper tactical development in a specific sport; the most important thing is engaging in practice of movement itself, which is the matter through which it may become possible for development and greater development of skills to occur (and for such reasons, making sure they are actually interested and engaged is an important concern).

Along those lines, you can consider doing things like gymnastics or tapdancing as well.

Last edited:
Top notch; thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. I figured Judo might be better than BJJ because it incorporates the throws as well as some submissions... I'm not expecting her to be Shelio Gracie; just want to keep her active and get her some focus.

If you have wrestling, sambo, or BJJ try that before judo. The judo gripping rules can make it frustrating for beginners. Kids are quite finicky. If they want instant gratification. The stingy gripping rules will stymy that.

Hi all, I've got a question I could use an opinion on (hopefully this is the right forum). I'd like to enroll my 8 year old daughter in her first martial art but I'm having trouble picking a good one.

She loves to wrestle and grapple so I thought maybe Judo but I was also thinking Hapkido since it incorporates strikes as well (another thing she enjoys... The kid is just feisty). Any thoughts or other disciplines I should think about?
id advise against hapkido.

Sorry to interfere in the grappling forum, but if you want to consider some "pure" striking arts too, TKD is also very kid friendly.

Aces, thanks everyone! MadSquabbles, can you elaborate a bit more on the judo gripping rules?

Jimmy Jazz, why do you advise against Hapkido out of curiosity?

Arize, I appreciate the TKD suggestion and it is definitely a consideration. She does like both grappling and sparring with me but she seems more interested in grappling so that was my first thought but I know some kids in her class do TKD so it could be a good fit.

Wrestling allows for more self-discipline and is less technical than Jiu-jitsu. It will provide a solid base for Jiu jitsu training later on. Tournaments are plentiful and MUCH cheaper than BJJ.

Aces, thanks everyone! MadSquabbles, can you elaborate a bit more on the judo gripping rules?

Jimmy Jazz, why do you advise against Hapkido out of curiosity?

Arize, I appreciate the TKD suggestion and it is definitely a consideration. She does like both grappling and sparring with me but she seems more interested in grappling so that was my first thought but I know some kids in her class do TKD so it could be a good fit.

I am not the expert, but there are rules against keeping unorthodox grips like two on one, grabbing the belt, grapping the legs, cross gripping etc etc. A lot of what is done will be from sleeve, collar/lape which is defensive. It can makes offense largely a contest of strength for beginners.

TKD and Karate have the most established and prolific kids programs. you'll have a kids program at almost every Judo school and most BJJ gyms too. I agree with the sentiment that it doesn't hurt to let kids try different things and figure out what they like, and most places will have a free or inexpensive introductory period.

it also matters to find a place that's in line with your views as a parent. depending on where you're living, you'll have a spectrum of adult mentors responsible for your child's instruction both wonderful and toxic. there's the obvious concerns about the diddlers, but i feel it prudent to mention that there are several types of abuse, and that there are, unfortunately, instructors who view martial arts as a means of self-glorification.

you'll be able to suss out pretty quicklike whether the dude running the show is there to stand over people or lift them up.

Ok-
I have a black belt in TKD and Karate. I have a brown belt in BJJ. I have a 8 year old and 10 year old.

The gym in town asked me to teach the kids program. I could design it off of anything in my 30 years of martial arts.

I based it on BJJ.

However- its the quality of the instructor, not necesarily the style that makes a good kids class. I would start with BJJ- but do they have any anti bullying curriculum? Do they have enough help? Are they monitoring submissions to make sure its safe?

I've seen some decent old school karate kids classes (I used to teach one) that had strikes, throws and some basic grappling. It was well run.

I'd honestly avoid TKD though- see too many of my son's classmates advance every couple of months and gain false confidence.

So start with BJJ, but make sure the program is solid. Otherwise, I'd go where I felt the best kids instructor was. Later on, they can start worrying about style (teens').

Last edited:
Honestly, if i had a son i would enrol him in gymnastics at that age and maybe wrestling. Bjj/judo can be learned later in life... especially bjj

Have her try them all and go with the one she enjoys the most

If she likes wrestling, well.. then wrestling. Assuming you live in the USA, you cannot go wrong with folkstyle as a sport, and for self defense.

Karate is nice too

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone! There's a Sambo school with good reviews for their children's program; I may take her their and see how she likes it. Thanks again guys!

Sambo wrestling bjj judo all great for kids...

Back