Intermittent fasting

I support trying to lose weight and get yourself into shape, but be careful. Suddenly losing big amounts of weight and starvation could ruin your pancreas and you could get diabetes. I dont want to discourage you, but be aware of it, and go slowly into process of losing weight.

<{cruzshake}>

Here's Jason Fung, a nephrologist who specializes in managing obesity and type II diabetes giving a lecture that will cure your ignorance.

Anyone know of any documentaries on Intermittent Fasting that I could watch?

I seem to have accidentally stumbled into doing IF all on my own. I took an online class that helped me learn to eat only when I'm hungry and as it turns out, that's only for a small window of the day. Anyway, I'd love to learn more about it, but would prefer a video if there's some out there. I will check out the YouTube video posted above now. Thanks!\

Side note: Why are "likes" disabled for this thread? :confused:

I seem to have accidentally stumbled into doing IF all on my own. I took an online class that helped me learn to eat only when I'm hungry and as it turns out, that's only for a small window of the day. Anyway, I'd love to learn more about it, but would prefer a video if there's some out there. I will check out the YouTube video posted above now. Thanks!\

Not a doc but martin berkan (sp?), is probably one of the better guys out there.
Leangains i believe.
You can also study ramadan fasting health profiles.

Likes are disabled after the update from a set date, and doggers can only like so many a day now.

Not a doc but martin berkan (sp?), is probably one of the better guys out there.
Leangains i believe.
You can also study ramadan fasting health profiles.

Likes are disabled after the update from a set date, and doggers can only like so many a day now.
Thanks! I'm very interested in learning more about it. :cool:

There's a documentary called "fasting" that's free to watch if you have Amazon prime.

Although it does push the benefits of fasting beyond just calorie restriction, like increased HGH and decreased insulin resistance.

But @wufabufa said in the first reply in this thread that those benefits are overblown, so maybe he knows more about that subject. I only know what I saw in the movie.

I have been doing a fairly consistent 8-16(more like 6-18) routine for months now. I typically eat breakfast/lunch at noon and then dinner around 5-6. Rinse and repeat. I maintained my 220lb bw consistently.

I started doing 24, 36, and 48 hour fasts. I do it on my days off from work when I am home and my activity levels are low. I found 24 hour fasts are quite easy as I am still eating once per day.

A 36 hour fast is slightly more challenging but also not particularly challenging.

To hit 48 hours, especially when I was already working was a bit more challenging. However I did it mostly dry (aside from a few sips for supplements/etc). I imagine it would have been much easier if I implemented it with more water (especially mixed with fiber as others have suggested). I imagine caffeine or caffeinated ~0 calorie beverages would also help with energy levels in the short term during IF.

Since I have done 36-48 hour fasts, my appetite has decreased and I lost approximately 10 lb. I am now at 210lb. I have also noticed my acid reflux improved significantly. I have not noticed significant improvements to mental clarity as some suggest but perhaps that's a long term effect/improvement from regular IF. My strength levels have been stable thus far.

Best way to keep the weight down? Eliminate sugar.

Stop eating breads, buns, starchy shit, candies, chocolates, anything with excess sugars like yogurts and even milk, any junk food. Beef up your veggie intake, only eat fruits early , don't eat like 3 hours or more before bed. Lean meats and seafood ....weight training, some cardio....presto.

Thanks! I'm very interested in learning more about it. :cool:

I would consider Lean Gains website a must read if you want to learn quickly and efficiently about the 16/8 IF model. I consider Beckam as the guy who's at the root of the IF craze we've seen these last few years.
I know he was a major influence in getting me onboard the IF train about 9 years ago.

Other good reads in my opinion:
- Eat Stop Eat: short read but a mind opener and a good introduction on the benefits of fasting beyond caloric restriction (autophagia and the likes). It's the book that got me started on 20-24 hours fasts once or twice a week about 4 years ago, and I lost more fat in 6 months adding that than in the previous 3 years. Probably the best book on nutrition I've read, despite it not being really one.
- The Warrior Diet: some outdated concepts but a good read none the less.
- The Renegade Diet: the author did his own brew based in part on above books, some concepts are a bit extreme but others are worth considering.

I would consider Lean Gains website a must read if you want to learn quickly and efficiently about the 16/8 IF model. I consider Beckam as the guy who's at the root of the IF craze we've seen these last few years.
I know he was a major influence in getting me onboard the IF train about 9 years ago.

Other good reads in my opinion:
- Eat Stop Eat: short read but a mind opener and a good introduction on the benefits of fasting beyond caloric restriction (autophagia and the likes). It's the book that got me started on 20-24 hours fasts once or twice a week about 4 years ago, and I lost more fat in 6 months adding that than in the previous 3 years. Probably the best book on nutrition I've read, despite it not being really one.
- The Warrior Diet: some outdated concepts but a good read none the less.
- The Renegade Diet: the author did his own brew based in part on above books, some concepts are a bit extreme but others are worth considering.
Thanks man. I will check it out. :cool:

So far, I have lost 13 pounds on IF and I got back to goal weight in less than a month. Normally I lose about 2 pounds a week. This definitely works faster than anything else I've done, and it's easy to do.

16 hours - no food

it’s not as hard as people think it can be. I used to do IF for my diet but now it happens all on its own sometimes because im not hungry in the morning. Drink water when you wake up. Eat at lunch, and make a note that your last meal has to be 7.5 hours or so later. You can get a lunch and two more meals in that window and keep your calories low. Drink water with every meal and before bed.

Reactions: TCE
<{cruzshake}>

Here's Jason Fung, a nephrologist who specializes in managing obesity and type II diabetes giving a lecture that will cure your ignorance.

The amount of times i've sourced this guy in my nutrition classes is limitless nearly, never saw what he looked like until now.

If you wanna lose weight, just fast for 36 hours and then return to your usual maintenance kcal. You will lose almost 1 lbs every time you do that. And you can do that once a week without losing muscle, if you keep you protein intake high ernough 1 gram/lbs of bodyweight and train a bit.

I've been working out for a month now and I am eating healthy, and eating very little. I have about 1 large meal and 1 small meal a day (2 meals in total) but I snack on small amounts of healthy foods in between so I guess that's not really fasting?
I was a college athlete and worked out twice a day. Once with my team and once with another team with a combined workout where their coach would allow people from other teams to workout with them as long as we didn't get in the way. After college I stopped working out and put on a bunch of weight. I was in top shape and was very familiar with how to workout and diet properly but just got lazy after college.

I decide to fast and do low impact cardio workouts to lose weight. My fasting schedule began with skipping eating every other day. And then eating three regular sized meals on the days I ate with only drinking water and black coffee. No snacks, no drinking anything but water, and no cheating by eating large meals to try to compensate for fasting. Then after one month of that I began fasting two days for every one day I was eating. Then eventually I began pushing it to eating only on weekends and fasting for the first five days of the week. I found that after the first day of fasting and making it over the hump I had the energy to work a normal office job for the rest of the week and even workout moderately every day and make it to the weekend.

The hardest thing was not eating around my family or friends. When they would eat I would just leave the room sometime go to my office just to be away from people eating. And also before I began fasting throughout the week I threw everything in my fridge and pantry into the garbage and only ate fruits and vegetables. When your friends invite you to go to the bar or restaurant when you are fasting it is also another temptation.

I could fast the entire week until the weekend and still walk three or four miles every day. Plus moderate strength exercises and even boxing exercise (heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, etc.). I also found that once the weekend hit my appetite was much smaller. Smaller meals would begin satiating me entirely and I was eating a lot less. I also complete cut drinking anything but water out of my diet for basically an entire year and it took almost no discipline after the first month.

If you are serious about fasting you need to completely abstain from eating or drinking anything but water for an entire day. Just water. Eat normally for the day then wake up the next day and do not ingest anything but water. Sleep. Then either eat normally the next day or try to skip another day of meals. You can go an entire month on just water if you are overweight or obese. It just takes discipline and your family and friends not constantly tempting you with food. It really helps to empty your fridge and cupboards of all food and drink.

I was a college athlete and worked out twice a day. Once with my team and once with another team with a combined workout where their coach would allow people from other teams to workout with them as long as we didn't get in the way. After college I stopped working out and put on a bunch of weight. I was in top shape and was very familiar with how to workout and diet properly but just got lazy after college.

I decide to fast and do low impact cardio workouts to lose weight. My fasting schedule began with skipping eating every other day. And then eating three regular sized meals on the days I ate with only drinking water and black coffee. No snacks, no drinking anything but water, and no cheating by eating large meals to try to compensate for fasting. Then after one month of that I began fasting two days for every one day I was eating. Then eventually I began pushing it to eating only on weekends and fasting for the first five days of the week. I found that after the first day of fasting and making it over the hump I had the energy to work a normal office job for the rest of the week and even workout moderately every day and make it to the weekend.

The hardest thing was not eating around my family or friends. When they would eat I would just leave the room sometime go to my office just to be away from people eating. And also before I began fasting throughout the week I threw everything in my fridge and pantry into the garbage and only ate fruits and vegetables. When your friends invite you to go to the bar or restaurant when you are fasting it is also another temptation.

I could fast the entire week until the weekend and still walk three or four miles every day. Plus moderate strength exercises and even boxing exercise (heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, etc.). I also found that once the weekend hit my appetite was much smaller. Smaller meals would begin satiating me entirely and I was eating a lot less. I also complete cut drinking anything but water out of my diet for basically an entire year and it took almost no discipline after the first month.

If you are serious about fasting you need to completely abstain from eating or drinking anything but water for an entire day. Just water. Eat normally for the day then wake up the next day and do not ingest anything but water. Sleep. Then either eat normally the next day or try to skip another day of meals. You can go an entire month on just water if you are overweight or obese. It just takes discipline and your family and friends not constantly tempting you with food. It really helps to empty your fridge and cupboards of all food and drink.
I am a huge proponent of intermittent fasting, having practiced it consistently, in various forms, for a decade. I've experimented with 16/8, OMAD, ADF, weekly 36 hour fasts and thrown in occasional longer fasts of up to a week.
Many people would think I'm on the more extreme side of IF, comparatively.

I'm only prefacing my response with the above to show that I do have quite a bit of experience with fasting in various forms.

Elements of your post read like they are written by someone suffering from an eating disorder. Very few people would recommend water fasting for 5 days out of 7, every week; at least for someone who is not morbidly obese.

I am a huge proponent of intermittent fasting, having practiced it consistently, in various forms, for a decade. I've experimented with 16/8, OMAD, ADF, weekly 36 hour fasts and thrown in occasional longer fasts of up to a week.
Many people would think I'm on the more extreme side of IF, comparatively.

I'm only prefacing my response with the above to show that I do have quite a bit of experience with fasting in various forms.

Elements of your post read like they are written by someone suffering from an eating disorder. Very few people would recommend water fasting for 5 days out of 7, every week; at least for someone who is not morbidly obese.
I was overweight from years of not working out and eating poorly. Fasting for long periods when you are overweight is easy. I know people who have done thirty plus days on nothing but water including myself. I literally went to school for sports medicine and was an athlete competing in two seasons for years. I covered steroids and sports as a professional reporter and writer for a decade after college. People have been fasting for periods of a month and then resuming normal eating for literally millennia. People have been replicating biblical fasts for millennia without harming themselves in the short and long terms.

I am literally going to water fast for an entire week starting tomorrow. If you want rapid weight loss and are obese or heavily overweight then nothing is going to beat fasting with very light exercise for health benefits. If you are in good shape then yes you do not need significant fasting beyond alternate day fasting at most. But to suggest someone who does a thirty day water fast or regularly water fasted to lose weight was part of an 'eating disorder' is dishonest. You are either clueless or are projecting your own disorder.

I was overweight from years of not working out and eating poorly. Fasting for long periods when you are overweight is easy. I know people who have done thirty plus days on nothing but water including myself. I literally went to school for sports medicine and was an athlete competing in two seasons for years. I covered steroids and sports as a professional reporter and writer for a decade after college. People have been fasting for periods of a month and then resuming normal eating for literally millennia. People have been replicating biblical fasts for millennia without harming themselves in the short and long terms.

I am literally going to water fast for an entire week starting tomorrow. If you want rapid weight loss and are obese or heavily overweight then nothing is going to beat fasting with very light exercise for health benefits. If you are in good shape then yes you do not need significant fasting beyond alternate day fasting at most. But to suggest someone who does a thirty day water fast or regularly water fasted to lose weight was part of an 'eating disorder' is dishonest. You are either clueless or are projecting your own disorder.
I regularly water fast, including starting this year with a 7-dayer. Longer fasts are good in the right circumstances too. I am not clueless or projecting. If you do have a healthy relationship with food then that's great, but I stand by my opinion that isn't 100% clear from the post that I responded to.

This conversation is nuanced and I don't think we'll resolve it satisfactorily here. I will say though that some people are susceptible to eating disorders, and for those people protocols like water fasting 5 days out of 7, every week, for an extended period, could potentially be disastrous. Also, it certainly isn't a protocol I'd recommend to the OP who wasn't particularly overweight to begin with.

Last edited:
Works for some people, but not for me. Every time I heard not to eat for a few hours, I was feeling hungry

Used IF to drop from 225 to 180. 16/8 fasting, 4 meals in 8 hours, ~500 calorie deficit. Did IF everyday, took about 6 months to drop that weight (I'm almost 40, rest is less than ideal, stress very much increased vs my 20s, injuries....). Once I hit 180 I stagnated and felt energy levels weren't sufficient anymore to get me through any kind of strenuous activity. Added breakfast back in (scrambled eggs & oatmeal), changed literally nothing else, all of a sudden dropped another 8 lbs over the course of a month. Maintaining that same diet, sitting at ~172ish now for weeks, feeling good.

Worked for me, but everyone's different. I also work in an office so for 8 - 10 hours a day, I barely move.
Kind of in the same boat as you as far as weight and work. How many calories did you start with? I did one of those breathing tests and it said my maintenance calories were about 2500. Reading around that seems low to me.

You should follow dr berg he explained lot of interesting thing about intermitent fasting and the keto diet

Back