Interim "titles" are a disgrace and cheapen what it means to be a UFC champion

DoctorDeelon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Dana White's go-to line was always "we looked at what boxing was doing wrong" as the blueprint for himself and the Fertitas to follow in building up the UFC.

But if you talk to boxing fans, the biggest complaint is that there are too many belts. And here Dana is promoting a fake fucking title as he has done so often in the past. This is not for a world championship, it's a glorified #1 contender spot.

There's no reason for an interim title. If a champion can't defend for a long period, strip him and have two guys fight for the vacant belt. But seeing as how Ngannou just won the title like 4 months ago, that doesn't really apply.

And it means nothing. Nobody looked at Justin Gaethje, Tony Ferguson or Dustin Poirier as world champions. It's fake. Nobody acknowledges it. So why does Dana try to con us? The winner of Gane/Lewis is not going to be a world champ.

Interim titles are stupid when it isn't because a fighter is forced out of competition from an injury or something. The UFC just likes to use them as a tool for one reason or another.

They don’t really, if they’re done right. If you make interim titles constantly and needlessly like the UFC constantly does, then you devalue them and the real belt too.

They don't last forever, interim will either unify or dissolve. Comparing an interim belt the the multiple belts per weightclass via different sanctioning bodies is dumb. dial back the outrage. You point out three examples of people not considered champions with their interim belt, but what about Couture, Whittaker, Israel, or Barao? Not all interim belts are created equal, some are clearly for marketing purposes. There is nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day it slows down "Real title fights" the winner of Gane v Lewis will have to take another 4-6 months before they can fight again for the real title. Had they just drawn out the negotiation process a bit longer we could have seen Ngannou fight sooner.

We deserve to see him fight as much as possible during his prime, I feel cheated as a fan

Some Interims are validated other not so much....by my math 5ish out of the 20 interims have been valid, so yeah largely a bullshit wasting of time due to someone's ego

Arlovski-Theyre not sure how long Mir will be out, once they know it wont be soon they upped arlovski, this one was fine
Nogueira/Mir/Carwin-made solely to put Lesnar against the actual champ, complete waste of time
Werdum-same as Arlovski basically, Champ (Cain) is injured
Lewis vs Gane-total bullshit this is clearly cus of Jones being a prick/cheating
Couture-pointless Tito didnt wanna fight chuck, then lost to both anyways
Jones-Pointless meandering bullshit cus of Jones cheating
Whittaker-Bullshit cus Bisping wanted to avenge his Hendo Loss
Israel--same as Arlovski basically, Champ (Whittaker) is injured
GSP--same as Arlovski basically, Champ (Serra) is injured
Carlos Condit-UFC was trying to push Diaz cus he was super popular but he fucked it up then got a TS anyways
Covington-this one is dumb between injuries and Colby/Tyron being a bitch its all over the place
Ferguson-Bullshit made to protect McGregor from defending the actual belt
Poirier-Semi bullshit Khabib gets suspended for eagle kicking Conor's team
Gaethje-Covid bullshit
Conor McGregor-Semi bullshit, they wanted to put a belt on Conor but Aldo is injured
Aldo-Same as Ferguson made because Conor refused to defend either title
Holloway-Not gonna lie I dont really know/remember why this needed to happen, I think they wanted to put a belt on Pettis
Renan Barao-same as Arlovski basically, Champ (Cruz) is injured

Last edited:
Dana White's go-to line was always "we looked at what boxing was doing wrong" as the blueprint for himself and the Fertitas to follow in building up the UFC.

But if you talk to boxing fans, the biggest complaint is that there are too many belts. And here Dana is promoting a fake fucking title as he has done so often in the past. This is not for a world championship, it's a glorified #1 contender spot.

There's no reason for an interim title. If a champion can't defend for a long period, strip him and have two guys fight for the vacant belt. But seeing as how Ngannou just won the title like 4 months ago, that doesn't really apply.

And it means nothing. Nobody looked at Justin Gaethje, Tony Ferguson or Dustin Poirier as world champions. It's fake. Nobody acknowledges it. So why does Dana try to con us? The winner of Gane/Lewis is not going to be a world champ.
Totally agree.

The new “active” champ Ngannou clearly ducked Lewis when they needed a ME for a ppv. Stipe defended 4 months after winning the belt. Why couldn’t Ngannou do it in 5 months? Being so “active” and all? And as it turns out, the BW title fight has actually been pulled from the event.

Imagine trying to sell a ppv with merely a number 1 contender fight? Do any of you people think before you post? Or are you just a fan of Ngannou?

Is there anything in the UFC business that they are consistent with? Are there ANY things that are dealt with in a consistent fashion?

A prize to anyone for this scavenger hunt.

The UFC has made all the same mistakes/decisions that turned boxing into a small niche sport:
  • The ppv model
  • Too many titles
  • Corrupt/incompetent judging
  • Not allowing cross-promotion, i.e., preventing certain fights from ever happening
At this point, the UFC's saving grace is that most of the sport's best fighters are under their umbrella.

Lately, The fake belt is purely used as a marketing tool by the ufc to either increase value or devalue x fighter's standing
It’s really not that serious.

At the end of the day these two guys get paid more money. As far as I’m concerned it’s a win
BMF belt basically is just a popularity contest, you can give that belt to youtuber at this point honestly.

The UFC has made all the same mistakes/decisions that turned boxing into a small niche sport:
  • The ppv model
  • Too many titles
  • Corrupt/incompetent judging
  • Not allowing cross-promotion, i.e., preventing certain fights from ever happening
At this point, the UFC's saving grace is that most of the sport's best fighters are under their umbrella.
Its just going more and more this way. Doubt it can be stopped at this point

The new “active” champ Ngannou clearly ducked Lewis when they needed a ME for a ppv. Stipe defended 4 months after winning the belt. Why couldn’t Ngannou do it in 5 months? Being so “active” and all? And as it turns out, the BW title fight has actually been pulled from the event.

Imagine trying to sell a ppv with merely a number 1 contender fight? Do any of you people think before you post? Or are you just a fan of Ngannou?

This fight is a BS marketing gimmick and UFC trying to leverage thier position with Ngannou and Jones. It is not a bad fight really, but for the belt? C'mon man, this is #1 bullshit whether you are a Ngannou fan or not.

I generally agree with this statement. BUT, Dana was vindicated for booking this fight because of what happened to Nunes

Back