Interim title makes sense

What happens if he wins? When does he defend the FW strap? And what if he has a fight lined up for the 145 belt, and RDA is ready to fight? Does RDA have to wait for Conor to defend the FW belt? That could be a year from now. Once RDA is healthy, he is gonna want to fight. He shouldn't have to wait for Conor to be ready.
Connie will never make 45 again. This is the problem with letting a guy fight for multiple belts. total bullshit.

McGregor needs to be the main event and the winner (whoever it may be), needs to be guaranteed a title shot. I don't see a problem, here.

Also, it's so funny. When McGregor wins the interim belt v Mendes, the haters were like "haha, fake belt", "toy belt!!! Haha, lulz"
"Aldo is the real champ!"

Yet, when his next fight is proposed for an interim belt, they are all, "wtf?? Nooooo", "never watching UFC again!!", "this is stupid and disrespectful", "this ain't fair"

If you really think that the interim belts are truly fake and worthless, then what's the problem?

Hypocrisy and double standards on here is unreal.

Where's the hypocrisy or double standard. I think that shows consistency. They don't want to see an interim fight because they see it as a devaluation (fake) of the legitimate belt.

Are you dense?

good lord, dont you read? its right on front page of this fight that khabib is not an option. Khabib is way too risky a fight. same as alvarez. they want a striker obv. Money ytrain depends on him winning or at the very least not getting ragdolled and dominated on the ground for 5 rounds.

At least explain why you think its retarded. Let me see the situation from your perspective. I want to see some good points from the other side.

Ok. Well its a couple reasons.

A) The championship belt is supposed to represent the best fighter in the weight class. If Conor, for example, beats Nate for the interim title that still doesn't establish Conor as the best in the division. He still hasn't beaten "the guy". In which case it makes the interim belt completely meaningless.

B) Its just flat out unfair to the champion. If the champion has been on the shelf for a significant period of time(ala Aldo, GSP) or is in a contractual dispute with the UFC(ala Couture) then it makes sense to create an interim belt. At that point the champion can be seen as an "inactive" fighter and not really part of the division at the moment. Creating an interim belt gets the division moving.

And

C) I personally value a fighters accomplishments and titles. When a fighters is all done and you go over their resume I give big points for titles....even interim ones. But if the UFC just starts handing out interim titles like candy then they lose value and being a "champion" becomes less of an accomplishment and more of a marketing ploy. I would rather that not happen.

Let me ask you a question. Since Conor isn't gonig to defend his FW belt within 3 months like RDA should they make Edgar/Aldo for the interim belt? And how much value would give the Interim FW Champion considering they've never actually beat the champ?

McGregor needs to be the main event and the winner (whoever it may be), needs to be guaranteed a title shot. I don't see a problem, here.

Also, it's so funny. When McGregor wins the interim belt v Mendes, the haters were like "haha, fake belt", "toy belt!!! Haha, lulz"
"Aldo is the real champ!"

Yet, when his next fight is proposed for an interim belt, they are all, "wtf?? Nooooo", "never watching UFC again!!", "this is stupid and disrespectful", "this ain't fair"

If you really think that the interim belts are truly fake and worthless, then what's the problem?

Hypocrisy and double standards on here is unreal.
It's not always the same people saying both of these things. Belts are for champions. Interim belts are for champions. McGregor is absolutely undeserving of a LW belt unless it comes from a win against RDA, he has no fights in LW and RDA just defended his belt. Would be an immense travesty if something like this happened.

Dana also called Woodley the number 1 contender ... See how that is. Working out for him.

An interim belt is a GUARANTEED shot.
Yes dear, but that's not everything that an interim belt is. An interim belt is a golden, physical belt given to someone we are going to call 'interim champion'. It's not supposed to be as meaningless as you're making out to be, so we shouldn't have it this time.

the aldo fight was interim because they put millions into promoting it, and it was the top 2 contenders. RDA fought in December. interim belt here is just stupid. god i hope that dont do that stupid shit. if by some aberation they do make an interim, at least be legit and make him fight alvarez, who's the legit #1 contender.

RDA defended the belt two months ago and likely won't be out for a year. No point in throwing a fake belt out there.

Ok. Well its a couple reasons.

A) The championship belt is supposed to represent the best fighter in the weight class. If Conor, for example, beats Nate for the interim title that still doesn't establish Conor as the best in the division. He still hasn't beaten "the guy". In which case it makes the interim belt completely meaningless.

B) Its just flat out unfair to the champion. If the champion has been on the shelf for a significant period of time(ala Aldo, GSP) or is in a contractual dispute with the UFC(ala Couture) then it makes sense to create an interim belt. At that point the champion can be seen as an "inactive" fighter and not really part of the division at the moment. Creating an interim belt gets the division moving.

And

C) I personally value a fighters accomplishments and titles. When a fighters is all done and you go over their resume I give big points for titles....even interim ones. But if the UFC just starts handing out interim titles like candy then they lose value and being a "champion" becomes less of an accomplishment and more of a marketing ploy. I would rather that not happen.

Let me ask you a question. Since Conor isn't gonig to defend his FW belt within 3 months like RDA should they make Edgar/Aldo for the interim belt? And how much value would give the Interim FW Champion considering they've never actually beat the champ?

A) I agree, the interim belt doesn't represent who's the best in the division. However, it's not supposed to represent the best guy in the division. It's there for when champions get injured to get the division moving like you mentioned.
I'm not saying they're injuring themselves on purpose but I feel like champions need more of an incentive to train smarter because if they just get injured all the time, the longer they will be champ. You get a lot of money with sponsors and other opportunities when you're the champion.

B) I don't think its unfair to RDA at all. If anything its unfair to the challenger that RDA injured himself. RDA's the one that got injured. He's in control of whether or not he gets injured or not. It's not like he's losing his belt either, he's still viewed as the best in the division until he gets beat. The only way it affects RDA a little is because he kind of shares the glory with someone else as the champion of the division, but than again, RDA robbed him of the opportunity to become the real champion.

C) I agree, when its all said and done you give credit for the belts a fighter has won, even interim titles. But the UFC isn't handing out interim titles. The challenger had a chance to win the actually belt. He was potentially going to be his belt but that was taken away because the champion can't train a little smarter. I do agree with how you lose value of being a champion if there are too many, but people have to realize that interim titles are not actual titles.

No they shouldn't make an interim belt for Edgar/Aldo because Conor is planning to stay active in both divisions. The FW and LW titles would most likely be more active if Conor is the champion for both rather then having Aldo and RDA being champions. I never give that much value to the interim belt because they didn't beat the best guy for it.

Khabib is the only
Let me ask you a question. Since Conor isn't going to defend his FW belt within 3 months like RDA should they make Edgar/Aldo for the interim belt? And how much value would give the Interim FW Champion considering they've never actually beat the champ?

Nailed it.

A) I agree, the interim belt doesn't represent who's the best in the division. However, it's not supposed to represent the best guy in the division. It's there for when champions get injured to get the division moving like you mentioned.
I'm not saying they're injuring themselves on purpose but I feel like champions need more of an incentive to train smarter because if they just get injured all the time, the longer they will be champ. You get a lot of money with sponsors and other opportunities when you're the champion.

B) I don't think its unfair to RDA at all. If anything its unfair to the challenger that RDA injured himself. RDA's the one that got injured. He's in control of whether or not he gets injured or not. It's not like he's losing his belt either, he's still viewed as the best in the division until he gets beat. The only way it affects RDA a little is because he kind of shares the glory with someone else as the champion of the division, but than again, RDA robbed him of the opportunity to become the real champion.

C) I agree, when its all said and done you give credit for the belts a fighter has won, even interim titles. But the UFC isn't handing out interim titles. The challenger had a chance to win the actually belt. He was potentially going to be his belt but that was taken away because the champion can't train a little smarter. I do agree with how you lose value of being a champion if there are too many, but people have to realize that interim titles are not actual titles.

No they shouldn't make an interim belt for Edgar/Aldo because Conor is planning to stay active in both divisions. The FW and LW titles would most likely be more active if Conor is the champion for both rather then having Aldo and RDA being champions. I never give that much value to the interim belt because they didn't beat the best guy for it.
You cant have it both ways. You say it is unfair to the challenger since RDA got hurt and will be out for 2 months or so. But then you state that there shouldn't be a FW interim fight between Aldo/Frankie since Conor "is planning to stay active" in the division?? But probably won't defend the FW strap for another 4-6 months. RDA is out 2 months or so= an interim title should be made.. Conor doesn't defend FW for 4-6 months minimum= no interim title needed because "he plans to stay active". LOL !

You cant have it both ways. You say it is unfair to the challenger since RDA got hurt and will be out for 2 months or so. But then you state that there shouldn't be a FW interim fight between Aldo/Frankie since Conor "is planning to stay active" in the division?? But probably won't defend the FW strap for another 4-6 months. RDA is out 2 months or so= an interim title should be made.. Conor doesn't defend FW for 4-6 months minimum= no interim title needed because "he plans to stay active". LOL !

The fighters spend so much time and money training for a specific fighter and then the champion gets injured.
The interim belt is the incentive for the challenger to take a fight and risk his chance at the real title.

There is no contradiction to what I said as it is not the same situation.

I don't stress about it anymore. It is clear they are trying to build their brand. Kid sells fights. It is what it is.

He beats nate on 2 weeks notice whos ranked 5 gets the title shot

LOL

Aldo hardly ever defended his belt. RDA just beat Cowboy not that long ago. I don't think it makes sense, but that's just one guys opinion.

Aldo defended his belt 2,000,000 more times than Conor has

The fighters spend so much time and money training for a specific fighter and then the champion gets injured.
The interim belt is the incentive for the challenger to take a fight and risk his chance at the real title.

There is no contradiction to what I said as it is not the same situation.
Yes, it is a contradiction, but you obviously can't see it. RDA is out= interim title is necessary. according to you. He will be out maybe 2 months.. Conor more than likely won't defend the FW belt for 4-6 months if not longer= No interim belt needed because Conor "plans to stay active". according to you... How is that not a contradiction?
Tell me this, what happens if Conor gets injured? Does the UFC make an interim FW fight? According to your logic, they should..

Yes, it is a contradiction, but you obviously can't see it. RDA is out= interim title is necessary. according to you. He will be out maybe 2 months.. Conor more than likely won't defend the FW belt for 4-6 months if not longer= No interim belt needed because Conor "plans to stay active". according to you... How is that not a contradiction?
Tell me this, what happens if Conor gets injured? Does the UFC make an interim FW fight? According to your logic, they should..

I know what you're saying, but its not the same situation so its not a contradiction. I'm saying there needs to be an interim belt because RDA got injured. Conor didn't get injured so there shouldn't be a FW interim belt.

Yes if Conor gets injured while scheduled to fight a FW for the belt, they should make a FW interim belt.

The interim belt is the incentive for the challenger to take a fight (instead of waiting) and risk his chance at the real title.

Anyone suggesting that it should be for an interim belt outside of a "it's good for marketing" point of view is really twisting why there should be one. RDA fought pretty recently and I would guess as long as he doesn't get injured again can fight again in 2-4 months, meaning at the worst he will have not defended for 6 months. He does not have a history of being injrued a lot or pulling out of fights. The LW division is not in a state in which there is a serious question mark as to when the champion will fight again. It really boggles my mind how people can suggest an interim belt makes sense in this scenario besides "it makes the UFC a lot of money"

Back