Interim belts, Renan Barao and PPV share

iamdissapoint**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was watching a MMA news show in Brazillian TV and Flavio Canto, judo world champ and MMA reporter said Barao, as interim champ, doesnt get any share from the PPV cut.

1) Is this true?

2) Do all champions get a cut from PPV?

If so, I think this may be the reason they still have not given him the real belt. Why rush him into champ status and starting paying him more?

Sucks for Barao though, he deserves all the money he can get. So skilled and dedicated!

Oh great guess I should join the countless Gus vs Jon ROBBERY VIKING WAR WAGONS threads lol

I didn't think it was an automatic thing that champs get a PPV%. I thought it had more to do with drawing power and what was negotiated into the contract.

I don't think champions get an automatic PPV cut.

Idk but if I had to guess I would say he probably doesn't get a cut of the PPV. But I think the reason they haven't given him the belt is because they want to do him vs Cruz, not because they don't want to pay him more.

gus 1,2,3

Oh great guess I should join the countless Gus vs Jon ROBBERY VIKING WAR WAGONS threads lol

Wow, a hissy fit because you didn't get a response within 7 minutes. Very mature.

I didn't think it was an automatic thing that champs get a PPV%. I thought it had more to do with drawing power and what was negotiated into the contract.

Exactely! There is no guarantee that a champ will get a cut of the PPV money, and the PPV cut is not only for champions. It's all about negotiations and drawing power. If you guarantee 500k + PPV buys every time you fight, you are in a great position to negotiate a better deal, including a PPV cut. Being a champion helps, but it guarantees you nothing.

Cruz gets a PPV cut. I'm sure of that.

I believe PPV cuts are negotiated individually and not all champs get them. Would actually be surprised if Cruz was even getting one.

Renan should be able to dispatch Cruz when they fight at the beginning of the year, but he may never be a singular draw in the US where the PPV model exists so he may never get one.

Great fighter.

Well IMO champions should get PPV cut even if they dont draw too much. Champs should be rewarded for their skill, after all this is a sport.
Barao should get extra cash for sure. Dana seems to be sold on him so he probably has him covered.

I agree. If he is still champ when his contract ends though he'll be in a lot better bargaining position

Well IMO champions should get PPV cut even if they dont draw too much. Champs should be rewarded for their skill, after all this is a sport.
Barao should get extra cash for sure. Dana seems to be sold on him so he probably has him covered.

I'm not saying champs shouldn't get some reward, but Mighty Mouse isn't drawing any buys. I'd be suprised if Cruz does. But Silva and JDS, who aren't current champs, do. Faber is a draw..... I don't know the details of any of their contracts, I 'm just pointing out that popularity and fame are important factors.

Back