interesting video of wing chun "rolling" session. more like grappling than striking?

Looks like a fun game. I love standing arm triangles.

That arm triangle sucks though.

I don't feel good about those techniques. I just skipped around the videos some and I can't buy into it.

One technique he was showing 4 steps and hits to one punch from the opponent. It was no different than a Kenpo green belt self defense move. Another time he was showing to counter a kick to the leg with a kick to the head initiated in response to it - you basically just eat the kick full force and return a slower kick, using your toughness not to lose balance I guess.

I'm sure he can use these moves on some people, but only because he is actually vastly superior to them. Maybe I missed the better techniques. This sort of martial art never seemed practical to me.

You may want to watch more. That's like watching bits of a dvd on the Mendes brothers and seeing berimbolos then writting ^

I do Wing Chun and BJJ, I love them both. Though I haven't done either for a couple months due to illness, but hoping to get back to both mid-January.

Wing Chun is pretty macho. You just stand in front of one another and blast each other in the forearms, chest and face with little to no footwork. Maybe it is cultural. If you hid behind a jab or wrestled someone to the ground, winning didn't help you because you look like a little bitch to them.

It's really odd to me because the common cross-style sparring ruleset in china on the lei tai platform made throwing the most intelligent way to end a fight. You'd think standing in clinch range without actually clinching would be more discouraged. Maybe a different fighting culture because they developed more in HK than the mainland?

[YT]watch?v=E7tHNSYcbIE[/YT] A video i did a very long time ago when a wing chun instructor from Europe came to visit me. i test his structure by throwing several pressure problems at him to see how he would deal with it.

i have also trained with Dominick and he is a wonderful person and a very solid martial artist. our common denominator is that we both have grappling backgrounds.

Real cool video man. It's funny, seeing these videos makes me interested in learning/practicing this wing chun drill, but I really have no interest at all in learning wing chun as a striking or self defense art...so not sure it'd be worth it to sit through classes.

Real cool video man. It's funny, seeing these videos makes me interested in learning/practicing this wing chun drill, but I really have no interest at all in learning wing chun as a striking or self defense art...so not sure it'd be worth it to sit through classes.

Definitely not worth it. Don't waste your time on that wing chun garbage. What's funny is these wing chun fools think they can fight but when they get their ass kicked, they always have some kind of excuse. It's just make believe fighting. They think they're fighting but they're not really fighting at all. Spend your time training BJJ, wrestling, judo, sambo, boxing, muay thai. Everything else is just a waste of time.

Definitely not worth it. Don't waste your time on that wing chun garbage. What's funny is these wing chun fools think they can fight but when they get their ass kicked, they always have some kind of excuse. It's just make believe fighting. They think they're fighting but they're not really fighting at all. Spend your time training BJJ, wrestling, judo, sambo, boxing, muay thai. Everything else is just a waste of time.

Yeah, I mean let's not get confused, I'm not gonna be training wing chun anytime soon. But if I had all the free time/money in the world..? I'm not a pro fighter or self defense maniac.

If you're having fun and you're not delusional about what it is you're doing, it's as much a waste of time as playing tennis.

Yeah, I mean let's not get confused, I'm not gonna be training wing chun anytime soon. But if I had all the free time/money in the world..? I'm not a pro fighter or self defense maniac.

If you're having fun and you're not delusional about what it is you're doing, it's as much a waste of time as playing tennis.

To be honest, I rather play tennis than wasting my time on that wing chun useless garbage crap. Those wing chun idiots kept preaching about they're training for self-defense, their style is too deadly for the cage/ring, blah blah blah. They're just a bunch of delusional idiots. How the hell they expect to be good at grabbing nuts sack, poking eyes, when they never really done that in practice? If they really did do that, their classes will have a lot of 1-eyed fools and 1 testicle buffoons. It's just a bunch of make-believe crap.

yeah im bigger blah blah not the pt....

floating elbow, sensitivity, KIN INTEL

couple weeks be4 that played Chi Sao to Grappling w a Serious instructor that also just got his bjj brown......had we kept to just WC trap hitting, he would prob be better, but I was better at mixing it into double unders to get takedowns etc.

loose grappling vs japanese wrestler towards end

I'm sure he's done that alot aswell. But hey, I'm sure you know better than Henry Akins what to spend time on. After all, you're the Sherdog celebrity.

To be fair to Einarr, he's just trying to emulate his hero Kimura Masahiko (a worthy goal in my opinion).

Let's all remember that Kimura firmly believed O Soto Gari was the solution to nearly any opponent and if for some reason the opponent is able to resist your O Soto Gari when you insist upon it you should simply switch to O Soto Otoshi.

Kimura was the Jack Johnson of Japan.

"When you punch a guy do you aim for the chin or the ear?"

"I aim for the back of the head."

Kimura interviews involve him repeatedly gloating about the number of concussions caused by his osoto even on 5th dan opponents.

I'm sure he's done that alot aswell. But hey, I'm sure you know better than Henry Akins what to spend time on. After all, you're the Sherdog celebrity.

I like his conceptual videos as much as the next person, but did I miss something where Henry has some sort of significant accomplishment in standup grappling where I should make emulating him my goal? Because i legitimately have no idea where that notion would have come from.

thanks, i appreciate that. all i am doing in the video is dealing and handling pressure in many different ways. think of it as positional training in BJJ without going for the submission. for standup, the hitting, striking is the submission. so remove that element and it just becomes about positional control and solving pressure problems. and it is alot of fun!

Yes it is, and is done in ice hockey. But Wing Chun is no-gi clinching. There is no art that deals with jacket clinching and striking.

Jacket clinching aside...

Muay Thai is a clinch based striking art.

People watch guys like Cerrone, Aldo, and Barboza, and call them Thai boxers (which to be fair, they technically ARE...), when the style they actually show the most in the cage is Dutch-style kickboxing. Less clinch work, more tit-for-tat striking, and more leg kicks. In reality, Muay Thai has a lot of techniques that completely center around dealing with the clinch.

Shit, there are some Thai boxers whose WHOLE game is centered on getting in the clinch and kneeing their opponents.

To be honest, I rather play tennis than wasting my time on that wing chun useless garbage crap. Those wing chun idiots kept preaching about they're training for self-defense, their style is too deadly for the cage/ring, blah blah blah. They're just a bunch of delusional idiots. How the hell they expect to be good at grabbing nuts sack, poking eyes, when they never really done that in practice? If they really did do that, their classes will have a lot of 1-eyed fools and 1 testicle buffoons. It's just a bunch of make-believe crap.

Well to be fair MMA is bullshit too, way too many rules to say it works for real fighting (combat). Real fighting is not dancing around picking your shots with no weapons allowed in a padded cage wearing gloves.

Plenty of those MMA and BJJ, even MT techniques will get you killed. Sport BJJ these days may as well be tennis.

In another thread there was a dude on Reddit who was a bouncer, got a guy in a Thai clinch and the guy had a knife in his pocket. The bouncer is now missing a lung because he was taught that was a good idea.

Lot's of techniques look good in the ring but are dumb in real life. You never want to be in a clinch in a real fight, it really limits your options. What you need is to be able to break/avoid his clinch and dump him quickly so you can kick him in the head.

Some of these Winch Chun techniques will probably work if done by somebody who has done a lot of sparring in other styles.

I would say they have the most potential in a weapons situation.

Last edited:
Back