interesting video of wing chun "rolling" session. more like grappling than striking?

JudoYourDayUp

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just came across this video and it was pretty interesting to see this type of wing chun training. I've seen this kind of stuff before, but it was always two guys just standing in front of each other. Never really seen it in a hard training session like in this video where they are pushing eachother around the room and going for standing arm triangles and arm drags to the back and stuff.

I'm not saying this is a good display of grappling or anything, but as a grappler, I've got to say this looks kind of fun. And if I had a friend who did wing chun, I'd totally want to mess around with him with some standing only, no-gi grappling.

[YT]YfFeWGDKHvI[/YT]

I think it is good stuff. Grabbing someone to hit them is just bread and butter street fighting, but it isn't a part of many martial arts.

I vaguely remember seeing that guys channel. I remember he makes a big deal of having been a HS wrestler and continuing to work with youth wrestlers a lot as a grappling dummy, so I wonder if his chunning is more "grappley" than most.

I vaguely remember seeing that guys channel. I remember he makes a big deal of having been a HS wrestler and continuing to work with youth wrestlers a lot as a grappling dummy, so I wonder if his chunning is more "grappley" than most.

That makes sense. I just looked into his channel and did find a video of him messing around with two high school wrestlers.

I gotta respect that he's not trying to protect his image or hide his weaknesses like a lot of TMA instructors. He gives up a lot of takedowns to these kids and put the video up anyway.

It definitely is. I've been to one of the Wing Chun Mechas and it wasn't much different than what people do here. One of my instructors did Judo and Muay Thai, so when he taught trapping hands, it was basically looking to pin the limbs for strikes as an additional threat while attempting to gain a dominant clinch or off balancing action.

When you have a neutral clinch, especially with distance or limited control, it is easy to start trapping their limb and striking. Then your opponent can either trap back, back up and box, or enter and clinch. The "drill" basically excludes backing up to box, as well as completing a take down, so you end up seeing how well you can hit or off balance one another from that range.

Just came across this video and it was pretty interesting to see this type of wing chun training. I've seen this kind of stuff before, but it was always two guys just standing in front of each other. Never really seen it in a hard training session like in this video where they are pushing eachother around the room and going for standing arm triangles and arm drags to the back and stuff.

I'm not saying this is a good display of grappling or anything, but as a grappler, I've got to say this looks kind of fun. And if I had a friend who did wing chun, I'd totally want to mess around with him with some standing only, no-gi grappling.

[YT]YfFeWGDKHvI[/YT]

I like dominiks channel, he seems to be the no bs guy in within the win chun comunity, only problem is, Wing chun doesnt really seem to work, I have not ever seen a single dude using any of the wing chun stance or type of strikes sucessfully in a SF, and by now... Im pretty sure some of the concepts are usufel though.

Regarding the video, that arm triangle is not going to put anyone to sleep, you either use a RNC grip or is not going to work.

I like dominiks channel, he seems to be the no bs guy in within the win chun comunity, only problem is, Wing chun doesnt really seem to work, I have not ever seen a single dude using any of the wing chun stance or type of strikes sucessfully in a SF, and by now... Im pretty sure some of the concepts are usufel though.

Regarding the video, that arm triangle is not going to put anyone to sleep, you either use a RNC grip or is not going to work.

Yeah when the student first went for the arm triangle and the instructor went to correct his grip I got hopeful for a second, but no luck there. I thought it was cool when the student got into I think and over under situation and he points out that he's "wrestling now" and makes a point of showing him that he put himself outside of his area of expertise.

My friend and I have experimented with using sticky hands when we start standing to break grips or avoid being grabbed.. It was somewhat effective. The cool thing about wing chun and aikido, if you can take away anything from those arts are the circular motions their techniques are based on.

Aparantly, Henry Akins trains some form of Wing Chun as a complement to his stand up grappling. If he can benefit from it, I'm sure we all can.

Aparantly, Henry Akins trains some form of Wing Chun as a complement to his stand up grappling. If he can benefit from it, I'm sure we all can.

That time would be infinitely better spent cross-training Judo/Sambo/Wrestling.

I liked it. It looks useful if integrated properly.

My friend and I have experimented with using sticky hands when we start standing to break grips or avoid being grabbed.. It was somewhat effective. The cool thing about wing chun and aikido, if you can take away anything from those arts are the circular motions their techniques are based on.

I could imagine i could be some how useful for grip fighting specially no gi.

That time would be infinitely better spent cross-training Judo/Sambo/Wrestling.

I'm sure he's done that alot aswell. But hey, I'm sure you know better than Henry Akins what to spend time on. After all, you're the Sherdog celebrity.

I've watched a few of his videos and he is a rabid defender of all things Wing Chun. The Bullshido is strong with him even though he has some grappling videos sprinkled in with all the other garbage.

Back