Interesting TED talk about..

Boomb

Hate the game, not the player.
@red
Reaction score
After a traumatic brain injury, it sometimes happens that the brain can repair itself, building new brain cells to replace damaged ones. But the repair doesn't happen quickly enough to allow recovery from degenerative conditions like motor neuron disease (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease or ALS). Siddharthan Chandran walks through some new techniques using special stem cells that could allow the damaged brain to rebuild faster.

https://www.ted.com/talks/siddharthan_chandran_can_the_damaged_brain_repair_itself

I didn't watch the video yet, but do you think it would be possible to rebuild a fighters brain with this technique?

in before:

1. Is normal
2. Huge if true
3. Conor GOAT
4. Rikson by arm bar
and so on...

edit: I posted this in the heavies, move if necessary, thanks.

also when you have a wet dream you are actually banging an alien. Been waiting for a thread to post that in for a while.

You would be better off asking a neurologist or expert on stem cells. Sherdoggers won't know shit about that lol.

Huge if true... MMA would be able to go to the next level.

On a serious note: What they can do with stem-cells is simply amazing especially with the onset of 3-d printing. Could you imagine living to 80 with the body of a 30 year old? chopping off a finger and then printing a new one JUST FOR FUN? Imagine if these guys got the same amount of cash the complex did. Humanity would have one less thing to worry about.

Huge if true... MMA would be able to go to the next level.

This. Huge if true, but I dont know shit.

Rickson by armbar

giphy.gif

I guess I was being too optimistic, expecting a serious discussion on sherdog. I apologize, I was just getting tired of all the Jones threads.

[image]
http://media.giphy.com/media/VdA713I3sYinC/giphy.gif[/image]

I guess I was being too optimistic, expecting a serious discussion on sherdog. I apologize, I was just getting tired of all the Jones threads.

Lol...you invited it. I was playing a bit, but seriously "Huge if True" is about the best and most accurate comment you're going to get. I stand by my post. Hardly anyone here (me included) is in a position to have an informed opinion on this.

No.

Either accept that your financial contribution to the sport incentivizes the fighters to permanently damage their brains or quit watching the sport.

A concussion would be far more manageable than a TBI, but I'm not sure that something as extreme as stem cell therapies would be justifiable for multiple concussions unless we're talking major damage.

That being said, I've worked with plenty of individuals who have suffered a TBI, and those diagnosed with a TBI can range from having minimal cognitive impairment (you may not even know that they have a disability), to slurred speech/hard time constructing sentences, to non-verbal/max assist. It would be amazing to see this kind of treatment not only give people more control of their bodies, but give them a voice as well.

Stem cells would be flagged as performance enhancing by ACs and banned.

I really don't know how to give a serious response to the question of if we think it will be possible to rebuild fighters' brains with this super new, advancing and evolving science that there are probably less than 200 people that understand...and they themselves are learning more everyday.

Maybe?

That's my best answer.

I really don't mean to be a dick, but none of us are in that field...I'd suggest watching the video and seeing what the guy has to say - he knows more than us.

I really don't know how to give a serious response to the question of if we think it will be possible to rebuild fighters' brains with this super new, advancing and evolving science that there are probably less than 200 people that understand...and they themselves are learning more everyday.

Maybe?

That's my best answer.

I really don't mean to be a dick, but none of us are in that field...I'd suggest watching the video and seeing what the guy has to say - he knows more than us.

Not being a master doesn't mean you can't be knowledgeable to some extent. I say the more people are exposed the better.

Not being a master doesn't mean you can't be knowledgeable to some extent. I say the more people are exposed the better.

I agree, I'm not saying to ignore the science or not take an interest in it. I'm saying the question posed is unanswerable by pretty much anyone in the world. Is it/will it be possible? Scientists are working on it, I'd suspect they don't even know how effective they'll get this kind of thing to be in the near future.

Why don't they find a way to remove the extra chromosome most of us carry around, man?

Has anybody forwarded this to Goodridge yet?

Ask webmd and see what they say..then come back here and paste their comments. Thanks.

Back